Advice please :o)

Moderator: Mods

keri

Advice please :o)

Post by keri »

I live in South Africa and am waiting for breeding season to come around in my home town so that I'll finally be able to get myself a hand-reared IRN. Was just wondering whether anyone out there with experience with these lovely little creatures would be able to give me some advice on taming my little guy when I eventually get him.

Many thanks,
Keri
kingtutone

They make Great Pets

Post by kingtutone »

Hello Keri

Nice to meet you and welcome to this board!

Keri, like you I am also waiting for my handfed IRN. I purchased a pair at my local pet shop and can’t enjoy them enough. Although their first clutch this year turned out to be unfertile, I still really enjoy watching them…they truly are, in my opinion, one of the more captivating parrots. It is really exciting watching them interact.
Although I am a rookie when it comes to breeding & caring for these magnificent parrots, I have a friend that owns one. Their bond is unbelievable; the parrot loves the attention and will do anything to get petted. Along with performing, it has a phenomenal vocabulary.
If you are going to purchase a handfed IRN you should not have too much of a problem taming. If the parrot is properly socialized and cared for, then all should go well. You might run into the parrot’s “Rebelling Period;” however, it is nothing you can’t work out together. In some cases the rebelling period may not even happen. If it should happen, it will pass, and your parrot will return to the loving creature it was meant to be.
One more note, if you do happen to purchase a parrot that is not handfed, taming is not impossible! It always irritates me when IRN are thought to be too wild.

Good Luck and don’t let the excitement get to you!

Best Wishes and Welcome to this board!

Imran Chaudhry
USA, California
:)