Sexing your IRN

Moderator: Mods

angie

Sexing your IRN

Post by angie »

Trying to visually determine the sex of your Indian Ringneck pre: Ring is almost impossible. And I say almost.

DNA tests can be performed, but these can also be inaccurate.

The following link is a worldwide site that does DNA tests cheaply and by post and even sends you a free collection kit and info. (under the company tag on the left you will see a drop down where you can select your country)

http://www.dnanow.com/ausbirdindex.htm

A male Indian ringneck can begin to develop a black ring or red ring (in the case of lutino's) around his neck at approximately 2 years of age, the ring will be fully developed at approximately age 3. If well after 3 years of age there is no ring, you can safely say you have a female.

However all that being said, you can watch for typical behaviors of cock and hen birds, which can present as early as 8 months +. You must however remember that if you have your birds housed with others they may pick up/copy their behaviors.

Below are some examples I have of my cock birds (blue and lutino) and one of my hens (lutino) in mating.

The cock bird will strut and dance and arch his head pinning his eyes, tapping the ground and jump along the ground shoulders out. When you pet him he will assume a head down position.

The Hens will roll their heads back especially when you pet them and can make a distinctive squeaking sound.

All these behaviors are heightened during breeding season. Indian Ringnecks are not considered adult until approx 2-3 years of age, but are actually sexually mature at age 1, so watch out for all these behaviors especially around breeding season.

Click on pictures to play movies:

Male:
Jordan dancing around Kai

Male:
Kai dancing around the bird stand leg:-

Male:
Jordan displaying at Brinly:-

Male: Kai dancing around his banana's, I think its B1 *giggle*:-

Male: Kai walking/hopping along his stand tapping with his beak:-

Female: Lutino female Mickey and Male Kai mating :-

Hope this all helps.
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.