Dangers of rope perches

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

Dangers of rope perches

Post by Donovan »

I've become aware that some birds have killed themselves by chewing up too many fibers from rope perches.

I have one rope perch and recently one of my birds has started chewing on it. Think it's time to pull the perch out and put it away for a while?...

or maybe just provide better foraging... which honestly they hardly have any foraging toys at all. I've always come up short on foraging toys that last more than 10 seconds
AJPeter

Re: Dangers of rope perches

Post by AJPeter »

You could try willow sticks the pet shops have them for hamsters, but birds need to chew, parrots will chew through their wooden perches if nothing else is available, Bille does most of her chewing at night.

But your warnig is timely becasue l was going to put back the rope perch, she previously ignorred it.
clawnz

Re: Dangers of rope perches

Post by clawnz »

Donovan wrote:I've become aware that some birds have killed themselves by chewing up too many fibers from rope perches.

I have one rope perch and recently one of my birds has started chewing on it. Think it's time to pull the perch out and put it away for a while?...

or maybe just provide better foraging... which honestly they hardly have any foraging toys at all. I've always come up short on foraging toys that last more than 10 seconds
Yep! This is so true.
Yet another Bird Safe product. That can and does kill.

I have had one experience. I was asked why mates Tiel was not looking well. The net had no idea, but he did not have the facts, so who could blame him.
The sad fact is I had told owner to throw away the perch as his bird was chewing it and the dangers of this. I took it out and they put it back saying he liked it.
Stupid mistake.
As I said lucky this one lived, but it was touch and go.

Throw it away and find bird safe natural branches. They can have many advantages and no dangers. From. Good for their feet, Trace elements from chewing the bark, Antiseptic abilities. And something for them to chew. What more could you want from a bit of wood.