Clipping wing and nails

Moderator: Mods

doremon

Clipping wing and nails

Post by doremon »

I will be getting my baby IRN in 2-3 months time. Can someone tell me whether we have to clip the wing and nails for IRN? Is it better to get someone else to do it?

Though I have a cockatiel at the moment, I usually send him to the pet shop to have his wing clipped. Also, I got him this polyperch to trim his nails. Thus, I haven't had the need to do the above so far.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
Doremon
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello

First, congrats on getting your Ringneck!

The nails of the Ringneck are sharp! I have handfed many baby parrots and let me tell you, those Ringneck nails are SHARP! They feel like actual pins hitting your fingers, especially when they are young and uncoordinated. They just grasp anything—sharply! :shock: I would get them clipped until the Ringneck has reached about 2 – 3 months. Keeping the nails trimmed is a personal issue and many parrot owners have different answers. I keep the nails trimmed until the bird’s reach 3 months then let them grow out. Keeping the nails sharp allows my birds to climb and feel more confident about grasping.

The wings should always be clipped. There are so many hazards that can happen. Not only is it unsafe for the Ringneck, but if allowed, the Ringneck might develop and attitude. Keeping the wings clipped gives the Ringneck a attitude adjustment and this helps to strengthen the bond between both of you. Your Ringneck will depend on you for mobility; as a result, he will want to spend time with you.

You should also continue to take your birds to the pet shop for simple grooming tasks, such as nail and wing clips. If the bird were to associate this with you, you might permanently damage the relationship between both of you. That is, unless you have trained the bird for such procedures.

Hope this helps

Best wishes,

I.C.