play gym

Moderator: Mods

janew

play gym

Post by janew »

I want to build a stand come playgym for kiki as my arm gets sore with her sitting on it looking out the window.I have been surfing the net looking for plans but haven't found anything great.Does anyone know any links or has anyone made their own and wouldn't mind posting some pics to give me some ideas.Thankyou jane and kikixx :D
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

We built Alice's gym ourselves... and love it. We like it better than the gyms we paid a lot of money for.

Now, it was built for Alice, who is an Alexandrine... but other birds use it. Currently Cody (CAG) is parked up there playing, and the IRN's use it a lot.

Hunting for photos, we took them as we built... sheesh I have a lot of online photo albums... Ah ha!

Ok... here ya go.

We built a platform out of plywood, and attached an aspen log we had (cut in half) to it.

We added perches, making sure they had some on the outside and some that crossed in the middle, so she could get from side to side easy (she was just a baby, so we wanted it to be easy for her).

I made some toys and we added hooks for them, and added a couple built in ones (like the shredding mats at the top of one of the logs) that we just change out as she destroys them.

And, miss Alice on her gym when it was complete :)

We did paint the base with a few coats of white, so its easy to wipe the droppings off. We also added a handle to each side so its easy to carry. The birds play on the handle too LOL.

Both Alice and Buddy on the stand. She was such a baby then! She's much bigger now LOL.

Athena
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Athena...I just love that bird! Your Alice looks like such a sweet little thing

Dani
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Wow! Athena, that playstand is AWESOME!!! You should go into business and sell them. Like you have time. But it is very cool.

Jen
janew

Post by janew »

Thankyou athena that stand is brilliant,got some great ideas from it.We are going to give it a go later on today. :D
AmandaB

Post by AmandaB »

I've wanted to make a stand like that, but don't know what to use in place of the log. I'm told you can buy untreated 4 x 4s, but no store I've been to sells them. Can anyone suggest anything else?
Amanda
janew

Post by janew »

This afternoon we built kikis gym.photos on www.dropshots.com/cubagold we are very pleased with it and it cost us about 15 u.k pounds.The longest process was washing and drying the fresh logs,we used willow which we collected.It took my husband and I a couple of hours to put together and I am sure kiki will like it when she gets used to it. :D
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

That play gym is really nice! I'm starting to accumulate supplies to build Sky one. How did you wash the fresh logs? What kind of wood did you use for the base part? I went to Home Depot today and looked at their wood boards. Except, the safest looking boards I could find over there were all layered. I looked at the edge and could see a few different layers (the number of layers varied depending on the thickness of the board) and assumed that wood glue was holding them together. Are these still safe?

Sorry for all the questions :D
Tyeman

play gym

Post by Tyeman »

hi im in the process of trying to make my own play gym just wondering wats the best way to bolt the main logs to the base