IRN and mirrors?

Moderator: Mods

awesome-o

IRN and mirrors?

Post by awesome-o »

Hey guys!! My IRN, Charlie, got given a mirror with a bell attached to the bottom of it. I've heard mixed opionons on mirrors and birds..
Can any one shed some light?
Cheers!
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hello,
Now I am by far NO EXPERT on these beautiful birds. But what I've heard and heed is that they will bond with the bird in the mirror and not need you. So I've never put a mirror in with any of my birds. I could be completely wrong, but it's what I have always heard. So... If that was any help at all.

Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

That's what I always heard Jen...but then again IRNs really don't 'pair' bond. I dunno...anyone else have any input?

DAni
julie

Post by julie »

i dont think i could handle the dancing if indie had a mirror all the time.Do you have a playstand or something similar so charlie isnt near the mirror all the time ,just incase they do get attached.
Kokkewiet

Post by Kokkewiet »

Hi there,

There use to hang a mirror in the cage, but now it is at the bottom of the cage, because my IRN didn't look at himself, he rather played with it. I think he mostly liked the bell under the mirror, and he played with it so much, it is at the bottom now.

I was also a little scared when I read about mirrors on the forum (after I bought the mirror) but now I am at ease, because now I know he doesn't like mirrors.

And even if he is on my shoulder and I am in the bathroom, standing infront of the mirror, he doesn't make a scene or looks at himself.

I think my IRN has an image problem.... :(

In my opinion, I think, it depends on the IRN......(just my opinion)
AmandaB

Post by AmandaB »

I once gave our IRN and Amazon a mirror for Christmas. Our ringneck Billy became so infatuated with that thing that he started to feed it. He made such a mess all over the cage that I just had to take it out. I think he was obsessing in an unhealthy way. I kinda felt bad, because he just thinks he is THE most beautiful bird in the world but the upchuck all over everything was gross. I don't think our Amazon Fred much appreciated it either. :lol:

I say if you want to try it, go ahead. If it doesn't work out you can always remove it. You could put it on a playstand or hang it near enough that he can see it but not close enough to become a problem.
Amanda
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

We also have to remember that even though our birds are very very VERY intellegent they do not recognize the bird in the mirror as being themselves. Only humans and apes do this...so they think that bird is another, seperate bird.

Dani