when would i expect my IRN to molt?

Moderator: Mods

surferdon

when would i expect my IRN to molt?

Post by surferdon »

I have had my blue irn, DUDE, since October of 2005 and yet to see him molt. I live in the LA area of California and was wondering about when would i expect him to molt? A little backround I got him at six months old so that would make him about a year old, I dont know if that helps. Also what are the signs of a molt?
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey,
I'm not sure when they go thru their moult, but you will KNOW when they do. My Remmi looked so very pathetic! Dropping feathers like mad of all sizes and shapes. They will have lots of noticable pin feathers and basically look pretty ratty. Remmi went thru his last August. And man did he look incredible when he was done! Now Byndi seems to moult all the time. She's always dropping tiny feathers and has pin feathers all around her face. Seems like every couple months. Don't know if that's something normal or what. But trust me, you will know when he's in one. You'll have enough feathers to make another bird!

Good luck,
Jen

PS How's the IRN you rescued a while back? Haven't heard much about him/her?
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hrm. Some molt little by little...dropping feathers all the time until they have a completely new look to them and then they start again and some drop them all within a certian time period. Interesting fact I learned a few days ago...did you know that birds molt feathers in pairs??? They will loose a feather on one side and then within a few days will loose it's mate on the other...keeps them streamlined and flight effeicent. Cool huh?

Dani
Ed Loschi

His molt should be starting right now.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Your Dude still has his fledgling feathers. His next molt should be starting right now and continuing for a few weeks. You ought to be seeing more downy feathers and countour feathers on the floor and feeling more pin feathers on the bird, and his neckring should start becoming much more evident.

My bird has just compled molt of his primary remiges (just clipped them last week) and he has alot of pin/blood feathers coming in on his neck and back.
julie

Post by julie »

indie hasnt had a big molt like most have,i think he molts when he goes really dull in colour,but he doesnt drop a heap of feathers and we have had him for about 3 yrs.
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

wow! sorry ladies and gents, life around here has been quite hectic. I went to costa rica right after i posted my question, then my grandfather had a stroke, and my home is going through a remodel so this is the first night that i have been able to use my computer! Thank you for the replies, and still no feathers at the bottom of his cage.

IN regaurds to the bird that i rescued my girl friend now has him in her care and almost all of his feathers are back. However, she is a little discouraged because he seems to only listen to me. But i will keep pushing her!!! Cheers