update..

Moderator: Mods

Renate

update..

Post by Renate »

Hi!

Sorry I've been offboard for so long, but believe me; I've got my reasons...

As probably most of you know, I was getting my IRN Pepper last friday. And a couple of days before (wednesday, I think) a little girl came to me with her plucking budgie, asking if I could help her tame it, cause she knew I had a lot of experience with birds. I said yes, and told her that I could keep it in my room for a couple of days, so that I wouldn't have to run to her house every now and then to put the aloe vera on his wounds (really bad plucker). Friday I got my Pepper. A beautifull green male, but boy was he wild. Not tame at all. And since I'd promised that little girl that i'd help her with her budgie, I was spending my days taming two birds. Tuesday I noticed that the budgie was starting to lose some of his feathers on the head as well, and there are no way that he could have plucked them, so we went to the vet. And guess what! The budgie's not a plucker! He's got (in direct translation from norwegian, I don't know the english word) parrot flue. :shock: So that means that Sjasmin, Bonnie, Clyde and Pepper needs to be putten on a 50 day long antibiotica cure, cause they've probably got it as well. :cry: I've got an appointment with a vet in Bergen at monday(5 hours drive from here - I don't trust the vet in this area), so I really hope everything turns out well.. :cry:

Wish us good luck... :(

God loved birds and created trees.
Man loved the birds and created cages...
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Oh sweetie! I'm so, so sorry to hear that. And all you were doing was trying to help this little girl! Bless your heart! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your birds! :cry: I hope everything will be ok. PLEASE post with results when you get them! We need to know that everything will be ok with your birds.

Lotsa hugs,
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh that's so not cool! Hope everything turns out ok!

Dani
*mia*

Post by *mia* »

oh no :( And you just wanted to help the girl :( I hope it goes well! Please send a post how it goes
kosejentan

Post by kosejentan »

OMG!!!! So horrible!!! I really feel for you and all your birds!!! Now I at least know why you haven't been online.... :cry:
Pamela with 2 budgies, 2 tiels and a baby Indian Ringneck named Jia
Renate

Post by Renate »

Thanks guys. :)

I've just spoken with the vet on the phone, and he told me that all of them probably would get well since I noticed it so fast. He also said that there were some chances that not all of them had gotten it... The only thing he said I should worry about, was my wallet, cause it would probably cost me good money. :lol: The vet seemed nice.. I liked that he could joke about it. Gave me the feeling that this was gonna be OK. :)

Does anyone here know anything about this disease? Got any good links? And what is it called in english?

Thanks again... Good to know you're all here... :)

kosejentan

Post by kosejentan »

Renate wrote:Thanks guys. :)

I've just spoken with the vet on the phone, and he told me that all of them probably would get well since I noticed it so fast. He also said that there were some chances that not all of them had gotten it... The only thing he said I should worry about, was my wallet, cause it would probably cost me good money. :lol: The vet seemed nice.. I liked that he could joke about it. Gave me the feeling that this was gonna be OK. :)

Does anyone here know anything about this disease? Got any good links? And what is it called in english?

Thanks again... Good to know you're all here... :)

Here is a site you can read a little about it

http://www.sva.se/dok/742.html
kosejentan

Post by kosejentan »

Renate

Post by Renate »

Thanks Pamela. :)

Been to the vet today.. He took some tests of my fids, so now I just have to wait.. He gave me some antibiotic that I will have to give them once a day in a week (he told me that was the 'normal' thing to do in case the birds were diseased, so we'd get started with the treatment as soon as possible).

I also got a call from the little girls mother today. They'd got the test result, and it was positive. :?

kosejentan

Post by kosejentan »

Renate wrote:Thanks Pamela. :)

Been to the vet today.. He took some tests of my fids, so now I just have to wait.. He gave me some antibiotic that I will have to give them once a day in a week (he told me that was the 'normal' thing to do in case the birds were diseased, so we'd get started with the treatment as soon as possible).

I also got a call from the little girls mother today. They'd got the test result, and it was positive. :?

It was so little, Renate!!! So sad to hear that the results was positiv :( I really hope that all of our birds are fine. The only way to know for sure that the bird don't have the disease is unfortunately tests taken when it's dead. That's what I was told. But when the vet suspects it they give medicine. Keep me updatet please!!!
Renate

Post by Renate »

Got my testresults today.

Sjasmin: negative (thank god!!)
Bonnie: negative
Clyde: positive
Pepper: positive

How come both my boys got it? Bad genes?
Anyway.. The vet told me both probably would be fine, because Clyde is 5 years, and Pepper is ca 2-3 (his ring is starting to show, and that is usually around that age, or what?)

My zoo-lady is really being a good support. When I told her about the budgie, she offered (her boyfriend :lol: ) to take Pepper and give him his medisine, so that he wouldn't be so afraid of me when the time came that the medications were over, and I'd start to tame him. I accepted that, so Pepper has stayed at his place since we got back from the vet.
And now that I got my results, she said he could take both Clyde and Pepper, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it. Of course, I'm not sure if I'm going to accept the offer.. They're my birds, and therefor my responsebility.. But it would have been a great deal of help though, given considering that I've got a summerjob from the 17th of July - 11th of August. But, we'll see...

I'll keep you posted! :)

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I'm happy to hear that two of your babies are ok. Bummed about the other 2. Will they be ok after treatment? Sure hope so. Please do keep us posted!

Hugs,
Jen
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Yes please keep us updated...so we don't have to worry!

Dani
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

:? praying for y'all in South Carolina & we have everything crossed for you & your babies. :|

luv,

Wren 8)
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
Renate

Post by Renate »

Thans guys! :)

Yes, he told me they should be fine, so that there were nothing to worry about. :D