Going out of town... birds to be caged

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

Going out of town... birds to be caged

Post by Donovan »

On occasion the nature of my job pulls me out of town. This hasn't happened in two years, but now I'm being sent away for 2 weeks.

My first thoughts are about my birds. They will receive fresh food and water while i'm gone but there will be No out of cage time.

From sunday all the way to friday they will receive no human interaction other than being fed and watered. For Mr. Bell there will be -no- time out of his cage. Neko, being far more cooperative will be let out for a few minutes each day, but not mr. bell. Getting him back in his cage is a long drawn out process that I only I know how to do.

I really hate this but there is no way around it.

So he'll be locked up for 6 days.. then have one day of freedom, and be locked up again when i go back out of town on the second week.

Do we think this is going to have any adverse affect on him or will he get over it like it never happened
MissK

Re: Going out of town... birds to be caged

Post by MissK »

I think they'll both get over it. I'd be more concerned that they would bathe in their water, splashing it all away, and have nothing till the caregiver comes the next day. Sorry if you hadn't thought to worry about that yet....... They could dump out their food, too, but unless they did it day after day after day it would only make them hungry.

I hope you have a safe trip, but make sure you leave some kind of directions for the caregiver in case you end up in a coma or something.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

So I went out and bought a handful of new toys today... Mr. Bell will get each of them.. all at once... tonight when he goes into his cage he won't get out again for 7 days.... so .. new toys
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Well it's done. I'm gone and the birds are cage bound until next saturday. I felt rotten about doing it but I did supply new toys and foraging for mr bell. I also moved his cage next to nekos and put him by the window where he used to be before I got neko. That seemed to calm him down pretty well. He'd been begging to get out of the cage all day. Maybe he likes it over there in his old spot.

The worst part is that when he finally gets out of the cage it will only be for that day then he gets locked up for another week.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

The other way is to look for a new job.

Hope it goes all right for you and the birds Mr Bell and Neko.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Easier said than done. I've had my job for 7 years so there's a certain amount of comfort level involved. The birds will be fine, I just feel really bad for them. If neko could fly I would just put them both in the aviary and put a tarp over the to, however that isn'tthe case. So mr bell will now pay for my lack of understanding when he was younger..... meaning his unwillingness to go back to his cage will prevent him from being allowed out while I'm gone.

And somehow, I doubt the caretaker will follow all the instructions to the letter.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hope all goes well for you.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Oh gawd! Now I am worrying! (chews nails) 8)
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Ugh, chewing nails about sums it up. I'm not gonna call to check on them until wednesday or thursday.... dont want to seem too anxious.

I requested treats for free be given as well as personal attention through the bars be given but I don't think that will actually happen. But I know the food and water will be kept up to date, so i'll take what I can get :P.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Aw, you don't know that. I think hand feeding animals, especially "exotic" ones, is a special treat for people. They make a connection. They like that. It makes them feel special.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have plenty of 2" but only a few 6" nails was it not Uri Geller who used to eat nails? Will you be phoning to check they are all right, would Mr Bell and Neko recognize your voice?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey Donovan, where did you go for your trip, anyway?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I'm in the smokey mountains

And uri geller was a spoon bender ajpeter
MissK

Post by MissK »

AW! Tough Life!!!!!!! I never get to go anywhere. :( Stoopid responsibilities.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Same difference.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

So I came home for 2 nights. 1st night I got home around 10:30 pm and let the birds out of their cages almost immediately.

It was pretty funny. They went on overload with the only little tricks they know. Mr Bell started throwing a ball and going down to pick it back up, and poor little neko was just standing on top of his cage spinning endlessly in circles.

So dividing up attention was tricky but they calmed down after about 30 minutes.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Good to hear they are fine.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Welcoming you home the only way they knew how!, brilliant news
MissK

Post by MissK »

Back in the day I had a Budgie that showed excitement by running around and tagging all his toys emphatically. Glad your boys showed you the Love.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

I've found IRNs to be rather independent and deal with absences better than other species. Are you finding the same thing? Hane might sulk for a bit and be mad at me when I get back, but otherwise seems fine.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I don't know how well they took it.
Mr. Bell was slow to come out of his cage when I opened it.
Feathers weren't plucked, and they didn't forget about fetch or 'turn around' so i'm guessing they took it pretty well.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I bought a bunch of foraging toys for the birds, basket things full of paper shreds, a net-ball thing full of paper and wood. And hollow plastic (slotted) balls; which is a cat toy recently mentioned on the foot toys thread, full of almonds and peanuts. I ran a chain through several of them, for both cages and hung'em up in both cages.

So, they'll be fine.
MissK

Post by MissK »

One of my original concerns about getting a parrot included the idea that some days Birdie would not get as much attention, and there wouldn't be any family members to take up the slack. The independence of this species really was key to responsible me greenlighting the project for emotional me.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Absolutely!, if Sanjay wasn't a feisty independent bird, I wouldn't have enjoyed a recent day out, And, I wouldn't be able to do voluntary work without worrying.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

This is why we probably shouldn't own larger birds that bond for life with one person. That person has to go away for a day or two and the bird is probably greatly affected, mildly traumatized even.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Donovan wrote:This is why we probably shouldn't own larger birds that bond for life with one person. That person has to go away for a day or two and the bird is probably greatly affected, mildly traumatized even.
Some of those birds have actually died from the separation. :(
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's part of the reason I feel we have no right to keep them -- and why I prefer to find a rehomed individual who needs a helping hand.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Just as we feel bad when they fly out of our lives they must feel bad when we leave theirs, l used to get a hero's welcome when l returned from the shops, now Billie does not turn a hair if l go out, but the other day l was longer at the church than normal and she was very put out when l got home.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Okay, so I bought -all- these great new shreddable toys for Mr. Bell because I thought he would put them to use while I was gone.

He's been locked up in his cage for a week now. I came home tonight to find he hasn't touched a single one of his toys except for the cat toy balls that i stuffed full of peanuts and almonds. He didn't even attempt to shred any of the toys... very disappointing

He did manage to unscrew the little chain that i had all those foraging balls strung up on, but i'm betting he did all that the first day I was gone... He's just been sitting there pouting all week I bet.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Does he usually shred stuff? Is he concerned about them? Can you hang one on the outside so he can reach through for it?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Shredders are usually his favorite

Well the first week I was gone I left one shredder toy and he destroyed it so I got more. Anyway I got him to play with them more once he was set free. I put them on top of the cage and then he thought they were great. Apparently he likes walking on one of them.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves a game of footie when his cat balls and babble ball are on his roof. I'm quite sure a larger species would have self harmed because of your absence, a friend inherited his grans AG when she died, and he plucked himself bald.