very moody thing

Moderator: Mods

Little_Bailey

very moody thing

Post by Little_Bailey »

hey guys, iv sent a few posts about bailey, he wasn't that much of a problem but now i really dont know wat to do with him! he is so moody, bites me (i tired the pop sticks) will NOT step up, i have to get someone else to do it! i dont know wat to do? its soooo anoying i wanna love him, and i do but how can i hold him and stuff? its sooo hard! thanks for listening..... :(
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

He will step up for others though?

Can you remember a certain time where you may have accidently freaked him out... slung him off your finger after a bite, towelled him recently, had his wings or nails clipped?

Either way. MAKE HIM come around. I just went through this with my male 1 yr old. He went from being Mama's baby to acting like he didnt even know me. It was very upsetting as my bird is my best friend.

You have to show them who is boss. Everyday/time you request an action and dont follow through, the bird loses respect for your authority. Dont back down or you'll risk not getting him back.

I know how you feel, just went through this myself... Bam, outta the blue. I shoved my hand in the cage expecting my Baby to hop on and start the day. Rather, he latched on like he didnt know me from Adam and tried to take my hand off. Lasted about 2 weeks.
julie

Post by julie »

i had just pretty muchly said what mikaela said when my computer crashed before i could submit it.indie went through the same thing after i took him to get his wings clipped. please dont give up on bailey.they are such fantastic birds to have once you get past things like this.
Ed Loschi

Kick his little feathered a$$

Post by Ed Loschi »

He won't step up?
Kick his little feathered arse!

Do three or four, or more, sessions per day of 50 rep step up drills with the little meanie. Do the reps in quick succession. A whole session might take a minute and a half at most. He'll catch up with your commands real quickly.

If he looks like he's gonna nip your finger then move it towards his breast such that he has to back his head and arch it to angle his beak to hook onto the finger. This will prevent him from giving you a full strike slash with his bottom beak which is the business end of his defense.

Don't point your finger at him instead present it to him lengthwise so it looks like a perch. But you do have to take some hits.

It's hard to describe, but hope this helps.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

That is the dedication it takes to have a tame ringneck.

They challenge you from day one and it NEVER stops, only cycles. They get to big for their britches and we have to bring them back down to earth.

I teach 'step up' the very day I get a bird because I cant stand stupid things... annoys me much. I do it very easy by getting the bird on my finger, sitting down, and over and over saying 'step up' from finger to finger.

By the end of the day, he'll step right up. Birds are only as smart as their owners!
natalie

lol

Post by natalie »

Mikaela if thats true babe then i really feel for marley, he gonna be a dumb bird!! :lol: Natalie xxx
To handle yourself use your head, to handle others use your heart.xx
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

lol aw Nat that can't be true...anyway trust our Mik...she's tamed down one of the meanest...

Dani and Prinny
Jade

Post by Jade »

We've all pretty much been at this stage haven't we? I found that when chook went through his little 'stage' it was only really me he picked on. I think it was because I was the one who spent the most time with him and he was just wanting to be nasty and it seemed to upset me more than it did the others!! Don't underestimate these buggers, they know exactly what they are doing. Evil little feathered creatures they can sometimes be! All I can say is hang in there and don't give him the satisfaction of seeing that he's upsetting or hurting you.
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

Thanks guys, i try everyday as u say.. . .he is upsetting me.. .. i try not to show him! (lol) but no he wont get up for anyone else we have to force him with food, uhm no nothing that would of offended him, he is due for a nail clipping though! what should i do in regards to that? thanks guys mwa x
Jade

Post by Jade »

I'd get someone else to clipper him!! You have enough trouble!
Little_Bailey

Post by Little_Bailey »

Yeh i do i wouldn't trust myself to do it, incase i hurt the poor lil thing! lol :P thanks