Atticus' test results are back

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Atticus' test results are back

Post by carrie »

The vet rang me yesterday to let me know and confirmed my fears - positive to beak & feather but negative to everything else (polyomvirus, psittacosis, pachecos). Bad news I know but like he said, it's the better of two evils. If it turned out to be polyomavirus then she would have become a very sick little girl. At least she's got a fair chance of leading a normal life - even though she will never look as beautiful as she should. Every time she moults she'll have more abnormal feather growth. But he did say that he's got a patient that he diagnosed with pbfd as a baby and it's now 14 years old. Also said that this is only the second ringneck he's ever seen with it and only the third asiatic. And he's just tested another ringneck for it last week - not a good sign.

Anyway I contacted the pet store to let them know and the reaction was indifferent to say the least - which p'd me off a little. Then half an hour later the vet was back on the phone saying the pet store had just phoned him freaking out because they have an african grey in the store and they are extremely susceptible to pbfd. They were taking it in for testing. I really hope the poor little bugger is okay. Apparently the african species usually die with a few months of diagnosis.

Apparently the virus will live on for two years after Atticus, so I'll have to be very careful with other birds if I ever come into contact with them for a very long time yet. For a bird virgin I sure am learning a lot in a hurry!

Anyway - just thought I'd let you all know because you have all been so supportive - this forum is just great. Thanks everyone for all your help and support!

Carrie

p.s. DNA Test was included as well and - she is a girl!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oh Carrie...I am so sorry! Poor little thing :cry: ...my heart is breaking. Let us know if there is anything we can do...we're here for ya girl!

Dani and Prinny
silvercloud

Post by silvercloud »

That is awful but Atticus can live a long life she just won't be able to interact with any other birds. I know someone who has a sulphur crested cockatoo with pfbd and also has other birds and as long as she practises good hygene everything works out well. Good luck with Atticus.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Oops just read this after asking about her in another post. I am so so sorry Carrie! Poor baby but like you said it is NOT a death sentance it just means she will look a little different.

Lucky you dont suffer from MBS (multiple bird syndrome) and thus far have no other babies. Keep us updated on Atticus, let her know all her Aunties and Uncles from IRN.com love her very much and wish her the long and happy life she deserves.

((hugs))
-Chamon-

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Carrie,
I'm so sorry to hear this! Shoot, was hoping for better news! But at least like you said it's not a death sentence! And who cares what she looks like, she'll be happy and loved and that's all that matters! Once again, I wish I was there to give you a hug and let you cry, yell, scream, rant and rave or whatever you might need to do to help you feel better. But I am hugging you in spirit! If you need anything let us know! We're here for you!

Lotsa Hugs,
Jen
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I'm so sorry hon, I know you were hoping for better news.

Sending lots and lots of hugs your way!

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Carrie, I am really sorry to hear this. But you seem to have a really good attitude about it and I commend you for that. She is a lucky bird to be with you. I hate to think of what would have happened to her had someone less caring owned her.

Another positive. You will be an expert and be able to share all your experience with this out to others if they have fears of the same thing or god forbid experience the same thing with their babies.

You're an angel darlin.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless