Questions from a newbie

Moderator: Mods

chjery1000

Questions from a newbie

Post by chjery1000 »

Hi,

I introduced myself and Chester in the "introduce yourself" section this morning. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=19295

Anyway, I believe his color to be a Lutino Lacewing. Correct me if I am wrong. None-the-less it doesn't matter, I picked him because of his personality.

Today he is doing great but I am wondering if anyone has experienced adopting a 2 year old that has never lived in a home situation? He was in an aviary in Florida until about 6 months ago when he was flown to NY state to the aviary I adopted him from last Saturday.

I completely expected a lot of time for him to acclimate to our home (much longer than a week) but over this past week he had me so worried!! He was sleeping most of the time, fluffed up and not vocalizing or moving around very much. On Thursday I was a mess when I woke him up in the morning and he regurgitated for a long time, shaking it everywhere with his eyes pinned. He didn't eat very much that day and slept most of the day, tucked in.

I frantically called around the avian vets in my area (two of them) to get an appt. No one had anything available until Monday at the soonest, not even for an emergency. I was sure I was going to lose him.

This morning I woke him up and he came right down to eat. He's been vocalizing on and off all day. Eating fresh veggies and fruits, seeds and nuts and acting like he should.

I am bringing him in on Monday for a check-up but in the meantime, has anyone ever experienced such a thing with a newly adopted Ringneck? Was he depressed or what could it have possibly been? I would like to set my mind at ease a little.

On the bright side of things, he is not really all that scared of me and I think given only a little amount of time we will be best buds. I love him already! Some odd sort of thing happened when I laid my eyes on him and I knew he was coming home with me.

Jen
Donovan

Re: Questions from a newbie

Post by Donovan »

I think birds always do weird stuff when you first get them.. seems to be customized to each bird.

stick with the appointment but don't worry about it otherwise.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have a lot of experience with regurgitation, thanks to my Rocky. I believe your bird was not regurgitating, but actually vomiting. Regurgitation is a controlled act, designed to place food from one bird into a specific spot - the mouth of another bird. Even a bird regurgitating to a non-bird recipient will place the food carefully.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but there's no way I would wait till Monday. Maybe you can find a You Tube of regurgitation to see if your bird was doing that or something else. If you need to travel out of state for a vet, please double check the current law in New Jersey before going there. Ringnecks have been illegal, subject to seizure and destruction in New Jersey. I heard talk of the law changing, but have not heard it changed yet.

This is the part that has me worried
shaking it everywhere
This other part
sleeping most of the time, fluffed up and not vocalizing or moving around very much
would not worry me if I knew the bird had not settled into a proper sleep schedule, however, put together with the first part, it worries me very much.
-MissK
eckythump

Post by eckythump »

dunno if this will help you but its worth a try http://indianringneck.com/newringneck/
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm with miss k, shaking the head is vomiting not regurg. I hope you can sort it out
kungfuminou

Post by kungfuminou »

Not to be a jerk, but I live on the border of NY & NJ and no one "checks you at the border" EVER. I take my IRN to a woman in NJ to trim his nails and wings - she takes care of my grey too- and when I asked if she could do my IRN, she laughed and told me tons of people in NJ have them. Alexandrines too. You can even find breeders in NJ. It's a ridiculous law. You can purchase IRN's in NY, NYC, and PA ( and NJ lol!) - and they can fly and escape, etc... It's a STUPID law. Anyway, I have friends and fam in NJ and I put my birds in their carriers and go merrily off to NJ to visit.

Even IF you got stopped, no cop will know what you have in the carriers or care and if they do care, they won't know one bird from another. No worries. Just my experience. They can outlaw anything and people do what they want. It's against the law to pump your own gas in NJ. lol People do it anyway. :p
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

:-ss Goodness! I am very glad I live in the UK!.
Methinks it may have been travel sickness after all that palaver, he must've been exhausted, given he is in a new environment he seems to have recovered very nicely, Irn Bru? (joke) :-bd