Do male indian ringnecks do the mating dance to other males?

Moderator: Mods

JustBirds97

Do male indian ringnecks do the mating dance to other males?

Post by JustBirds97 »

So I have a 6 month old Alexandrian Ringneck who the breeder claimed is a boy. I never asked him how he knew that (he's against DNA testing), so I'm not sure if he actually knew what he was saying. Apparently he's one of the best breeders around. Anyway, I also have a 1 year old Indian Ringneck who we know is a boy because the breeder we purchased him from had a female ringneck in the cage with him and he occasionally tried to mate with her. However, the other day I caught my male indian ringneck doing the mating dance to our apparently male Alexandrian. He now does it every day. So my question is, do males perform/display their mating dance to other males, or is our Alexandrian actually a girl? Thanks in advance!
MissK

Re: Do male indian ringnecks do the mating dance to other ma

Post by MissK »

My two cents:

My mature male Ringneck does the Happy Boy Dance for me, the Budgies, various Toys, even Fruits and Vegetables that are bigger than the end of my thumb. I think I even caught him doing it for a piece of string.

My interpretation of these actions lead me to believe you can't use this dancing to determine the gender of another bird.

Also that my bird may be a bit of a slut. :roll:
-MissK
JustBirds97

Post by JustBirds97 »

MissK wrote:My two cents:

My mature male Ringneck does the Happy Boy Dance for me, the Budgies, various Toys, even Fruits and Vegetables that are bigger than the end of my thumb. I think I even caught him doing it for a piece of string.

My interpretation of these actions lead me to believe you can't use this dancing to determine the gender of another bird.

Also that my bird may be a bit of a slut. :roll:
Thanks for your input! :lol: I have heard of birds doing their dance to inanimate objects too, so I guess my indian ringneck is just being hormonal!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

My male does his boy dance to my friends mature male, his girlfriend and drink bottles. My young female boy-dances at some of her toys too, just to throw us all off.
JustBirds97

Post by JustBirds97 »

InTheAir wrote:My male does his boy dance to my friends mature male, his girlfriend and drink bottles. My young female boy-dances at some of her toys too, just to throw us all off.
Then I guess there's still hope that my Alexandrian is really a boy. :D
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Mr Bell flirts with his shadow, his reflection (in certain mirrors), his favorite toy, me, and literally an old screw in the wall.

If they like it, they'll display for it and hope it likes them back.
JustBirds97

Post by JustBirds97 »

Donovan wrote:Mr Bell flirts with his shadow, his reflection (in certain mirrors), his favorite toy, me, and literally an old screw in the wall.

If they like it, they'll display for it and hope it likes them back.
Mr Bell is quite the charmer!