Need help with recued baby Indian Ringnecks.

Moderator: Mods

Haridas

Need help with recued baby Indian Ringnecks.

Post by Haridas »

I live in South India. A neighbor cut down a tree this morning. There was a nest of Ringnecks in the tree. Two survived. They look to be almost ready to leave the nest. They have all their feathers and are very healthy. We put them on our veranda in a small cage. The mother has been coming. We do not know if she is feeding them through the cage. We were advised to feed them bananas, carrots, and tomatoes. But they do not seem to be eating anything.

Does anyone have experience with rescuing baby Ringneck Parakeets? If you do please help.

Thank you.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I hope the mother is feeding them, but even if she is you should try to help them along a bit.

Babies at that age may not accept food from you or know how to eat for themselves.

If you can give them hand rearing mix or something similar then I would try that fed with a syringe without the needle part, Keep trying with the fresh fruits. Even try sitting there with them and "showing" them how to eat the food.

Good luck and please let us know how things are going.
Haridas

Post by Haridas »

Sorry to take so long to reply. Computor problems. Everything worked out fine with the babies. As they were only days away from flying both the mother and father parrot came and they both ended up flying off with them. thanx.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Thats a great happy ending, Thanks for keeping us up to date. :)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Whew .. glad for a happy ending. :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Haridas

Post by Haridas »

Neokireina and Kyria, Thank you very much for your kind concern.

We had the birds a few days before they flew off. Some of the young novice monks (ages 12 to 17) here in the ashram got a little attached to them though. So we decided to get a few parakeets for the monastery (ashram).

We got two green ones and two yellow ones and one Cockatoo.

Can we feed them something other than seeds? I tried carrots and an apple but they would not eat them. I found some cuddle fish bone on the beach here and put that in the cage. They seem to like that very much to sharpen their beaks.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.
:)
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Fresh Veg is good, keep trying even if they dont eat it at first.
Pellets if you can find them are good, also you can get something like breakfast cerial for birds. With dried fruit and nuts and grains.