urgent help needed!!!

Moderator: Mods

honor

urgent help needed!!!

Post by honor »

hi, I've got a 6 month old pair of IRN parrots, who both had their'e wings clipped before I got them.
the male can still fly :D , but the female can't :( . the first one i started to train was the male, and he was behaving really well, and so i started training the female. the female is great and really trusting, but the male has recently started behaving like he's never seen a human before. whenever i get him to step up, he flies away, and even if he will stay on me, he insists on sitting on my neck or head and bites or flies away when i try to get him off. I've had to separate them as, the other day, they were both sitting on their perch happily, when the male started biting and attacking the female, to the extent that i had to rush over and catch her as he pushed her off the perch... help! i could really use some advice!!! thanks in advance.
:D
AJPeter

Re: urgent help needed!!!

Post by AJPeter »

I am afraid l cannot help you but some one will be along soon who can, keep checking this forum and in the meantime try searching the forum as there are many threads
barkha alisha

Post by barkha alisha »

maybe male is incrising his harmons it occurs in males males are more aggressive then females maybe he want to breed did you bring him a breeding box? parrots bites when something is botering them my male also fight with female but they cant stay without each other never put them away of each other .

Here are the steps to teach your parrot to stop

Step 1: Relax Completely - Parrots can tell when someone is nervous or afraid of them. This makes them become nervous and can result in a bite. Before approaching your parrot, sit calmly and take a few deep breaths. Relax as completely as you possibly can. Think of a peaceful place that makes you happy and serene.

Step 2: Watch - You need to observe to determine exactly why your parrot is biting. Some parrots bite from fear but others have triggers that make them want to bite; such as when you put your hand inside “their territory” (the cage). Their body language will indicate when the parrot is about to bite in most cases. Watch carefully and think hard about what is going on when and just before the parrot bites you.

Step 3: Remove Yourself – If the parrot is tame and likes attention, immediately go into another room. Do not respond with drama in any way at all. Remember, parrots LOVE drama. They take any shouting, raised voices, or waving arms as a positive response from you. Do not let the parrot know that it hurt you. Take care of the bite and calmly return to the parrot so you can continue to figure out what is triggering the biting.

Step 4: Command - If you notice the parrot is becoming nervous around you, say “No Bite” or another command and touch the bird’s beak. Generally, this will tell a tame parrot that it shouldn’t react after you do this repeatedly and the bird gets the idea. When the parrot calms down a bit, provide lots of dramatic praise and a treat. This way your parrot will get the idea that biting = no attention at all while not biting = praise, drama, and treats. It won’t take long for your bird to learn this concept.

Step 5: Be Consistent - You MUST always be consistent with a parrot. Give the same command; perform the same behavior or quietly remove yourself when the bird bites. If you change things around the parrot may never learn to stop biting.

No matter how hard your parrot bites you, never respond by hitting the bird. This abusive behaviour will result in a parrot that is so fearful of people that it may never become tame. Never spray your parrot as punishment. Never throw anything at it. The ONLY discipline a parrot understands is removing yourself and your attention from it.

Now, if for any reason all this above does not work with your bird, then I honestly recommend that you learn a break-through technique called “perching” to stop your parrot from biting.
Last edited by barkha alisha on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Honor

It definitely could be hormones as Alisha has suggested. Is it breeding season in your part of the world?

Do you do any training with your birds? I suspect that training will help give your bird something else to focus on. It's not going to be a total solution but it will be a start and will also help you redevelop that close bond with your bird. There are instructions on here for how to train your bird to do a "turnaround" which isn't a bad starting trick. You should be able to find it if you do a search.

Regarding your female, since your male is picking on her, I would recommend you don't clip her once she starts flying again so that she can get away from him when she needs to. If you're really concerned, your avian vet may be able to do a process called "imping" where they attach other birds feathers to your bird's feathers so that they can fly again.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

You could also cage one when the other is loose and vice versa. Possibly separate stands might help, though if the flighted one chooses to he could just go to her and start trouble. I always have one eye out when my Ringneck is loose because he goes to the Budgie cage. Sometimes a Budgie comes to meet him, and I have to go prevent them from getting too close. It's not ideal, but it can work.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That is good advice from Barkha Alisha, Missk, and Ellieelctrons/