How Long Is Too Long?

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

How Long Is Too Long?

Post by Doodlebug »

I notice Dudes claws are quite long yet he's still quite young. I use sanded perch covers on some of his perches to keep them down, but as he is still so scared of hands, I don't really want the trauma of either taking him to the vets for a trim, or do it myself because he'll obviously hold it against me.

I know they don't get trimmed in the wild but how long is too long? Any advice would be appreciated :)
Loo :)
ellieelectrons

Re: How Long Is Too Long?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I've heard sanded perches can actually help sharpen their claws. Has anyone else heard that?

Natural tree branches are the best. I also use cement perches, although I know Skye was saying they can cause sore feet, although I haven't personally had any problems.

Ellie.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

In my house, too long is defined as sharp enough to cut my hands while handling. In fact that's the case right now. I get little cuts on the back of my hands or little dimples where his nails have pricked me.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Loo,
I don't think taking him to the vet to do it would hurt your progress, going by my limited experience. Just don't help, if the vet can't do it alone insist that the nurse restrains dood for him/her.
Sapphire seemed to like me better after her vet visit. In her eyes, I became the person who doesn't towel her and take swabs from odd places! She started taking treats from near my hand when we got home from the vet clinic.