can IRN and cockatiels live together?

Moderator: Mods

honor

can IRN and cockatiels live together?

Post by honor »

hi,
i have a pair of 5 month old IRN (1 male 1 female), and i was wondering whether, in a year or so, or whenever their ready,
i could keep a Cockatiel or two with them???? would this be ok or would they fight????????
if they could live together, what would the minimum cage size be????
thanx
Little Buttercup

Re: can IRN and cockatiels live together?

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi honor, welcome. I see 17 views and no answer to this thread! Suppose no one knows the answer. I think the answer is yes and no. They could fight and they could not. I have a cockatiel and a ringneck and they are getting on very well together, but they do have their own cages, yet Coco spends most of the time in Kiwi's cage. And Kiwi really likes Coco, dances for her and tries to give her food, but Coco is the cheeky one of the two. She is the one to hiss and make eagle wings for Kiwi when he invades her special space. Kiwi will turn tails and run when Coco comes after him, makes me laugh to see a ringneck running away from a timid species such as a cockatiel. :lol: . When they spend time outdoors I leave them in one cage, but i'm all the time around, and I have never seen any bad behaviour. Last week saturday when I came home late at night, I leave them both out of the cage in the birdroom, and I spied on them only to find them sleeping so nicely next to each other on top of Kiwi's cage. Makes me want to put them to sleep in 1 cage, but I don't think I would be comfortable with that. Don't know how would Kiwi react to that. So my two can stay together and don't fight. Again there are other people who can't leave a cockatiel and ringneck together out of cage time or else they will kill each other. If you can have large cages for your birds and different out of cage times for them, I think it would work out for you to keep cockatiels. I don't suggest keeping them together in 1 cage. Let them all have their own space.

Good luck
Ash
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

I don't think its a good idea . IRNs are MUCH more aggressive than tiels . You could let them all out together supervised but don't try housing them together . Even if they seem to get along generally ,the IRNs are perfectly capable of killing tiels if they're in a bad mood .
Little Buttercup

Yes tiels are very timid compared to IRNs. Also I had my tiel before the IRN and I think he knew that the bird room belongs to Coco and he is the invader. But in your case your IRN would be the boss and the cockatiel would be invading his space.

Ash
honor

Post by honor »

OK, thanks very much everyone!
I'm not sure my IRNs would enjoy a new arrival, as, since we got them, they've settled in great and love their own space...
thanks for all the advice though!
honor
Little Buttercup

If you have a separate cage to keep the cockatiels in that would be fine. And have separate out of cage times for them.Get the largest cage that can fit in your house. The larger the better.

Ash
Terje

Post by Terje »

I have a cockatiel of around 7 months that I have had since he was 12 weeks. I recently got a young ringneck of the same age. I'm currently in the stage of seeing if they can get used to each other. They have separate cages where they can see each other and I let them out separately. My ringneck is obsessed with the cockatiel and will hang on his cage for hours if he can - the cockatiel is gently inquisitive/submissive, and tries to softly nibble on the ringneck's toes and beak. I try to avoid the opposite situation, as the ringneck is very blunt, fearless and has a strong beak, but I have seen no signs of agression so far. Maybe since they're both young they will end up friends, but I'll not force it. In less than a week, my cockatiel has begun to imitate the ringneck sounds. LOL
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Before l got my Alexandrine Hen she lived next door with a cat a dog and two canaries. The Alex attacked the canaries and my neighbour out her out of the window and l was able to have her.
Terje

Post by Terje »

I am currenty raising a young ringneck next to my adult cockatiel pair. They get along very well, but I don't think that would be the case if the situation was reversed. Especially my female almost adult ringneck can't stand the cockatiels, and she's known them for a while.
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

I'm currently handraising a ringneck baby whose around 50 days old . He/she has already began showing aggression to my other birds(tiels, budgies and lovebirds). I got one of my tiels indoors to try and socialize the ringneck with it but the baby actually flew and tried to attack the tiel. The baby is extremely friendly towards people but I guess not with other birds.

In the past I've owned about 4 adult ringneck females and one male ; all of whom were intolerant towards other birds if not their own species. All in all , I'd say not to risk it and keep your ringnecks as far away as possible from your tiels if you do decide to get them :) .
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

I'd say no. The reason I got my first ringneck was because the previous owner had him housed with 4 cockatiels and he was very aggressive toward them. He does fine with another ringneck though