URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! AERO IS BLEEDING

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! AERO IS BLEEDING

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok I'am trying my best not to panic! All this is becuase of the stupid grill :evil: . An old slice of orange that I overlooked was being eaten by Aero. I put my had to remove the orange form Aero. H panicked. Later( I mean 30min) I notice that close to his eyes was a patch of blood. I don't know what to do. I'am going to the vets in 3 hours. Any ideas, I think he hurt his face from one of his toys.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! AERO IS BLEEDING

Post by InTheAir »

If it is not bleeding freely I think he will be fine to wait a couple hours.
If he is still losing blood I would get him to the vet sooner, if it doesn't appear to be clotting. I'm not an expert, and haven't had experience of bleeding in birds, I'm just catious. If you turn up at the vet office with an urgent case they will try to squeeze it in.

He'll be fine though!
MissK

Post by MissK »

I hope this is all resolved by now, since I'm late coming to it.

I also feel that as long as the blood is not free-flowing, and it did just happen within half an hour prior, the cause for immediate alarm is low. Certainly it should be examined, by the doctor or by the careful, concerned human friend who noticed it. I would want to disinfect it, but don't know the proper method for a Ringneck head.

The worst thing I could think of, in a case where the clotting had been successful, would be if there were something stuck in the wound. For instance, if the bird had hit the head on something, and a bit poked into the bird and remained there.

I would also want to examine the rest of the bird to see if there were any additional damage that may have occurred in the same incident.

That's my assessment. So, what happened, now that it's over? How was it handled? How's the bird now?

I also invite peer review of my opinions above. This may happen to us one day and I always like to know if I'm headed in the right direction!
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello MissK and InTheAir,
Sorry for not replying earlier as I had tons to do. Firstly I would like to say that Aero is fine. The vet has given him a clean beak of health (:)). The only thing is that I he needs more UV light to help his beak as it is not in optimum condition (flaky and all). According to the vet all he has is a scratch and with a small dab of disinfectant all the he needs is done. I also learnt that the best way to administer medicine in place which need accuracy ( like near the eyes) is by using a cotton bud. The vet assistance used a towel to restrain him which made Aero scream in a half growly/horse-squake which he used the full time. He only stopped when I was comforting him. When the vets finished they manuvered the cotton bud over his mouth and he bit and didn't want to let go. A mini tug-of-war started with Aero and the vet. So Aero is better, a bit shaken by the experience and all. I guess Aero is a bit more wary now and progress has come back a little. However the next day I made him his first full fruit and vegetable meal which HE LOVED. As a special treat it was 3/4 fruit and one 1/4 veggies. I put: Kiwis, apples, pomegranate, yellow bell pepper, lettuce, beans, flax seeds and some seeds. He ate nearly all of it except some too big pieces. His dropping were really watery wich was a bit freaky. One thing I advice all of you is to have your bird carrier-trained and have a carrier ready at all times. Regretbbly I didn't have one so I had to take the full cage :o which made the experience even more traumatizing. So my very first avain emergency, not bad :wink: . Glad it turned out well, and hope I answered your questions MissK.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm so glad it turned out well! Thanks for the update. :)
-MissK