Can birds 'bond' with more than one person?

Moderator: Mods

Caitrose96

Can birds 'bond' with more than one person?

Post by Caitrose96 »

Hi guys, i know i've been posting a lot lately, but i just have so many questions about my new bird!! I use the term 'bond' lightely as i don't think i mean in that way that it is being perceived. My bird without a doubt prefers my dad, no questions asked. My dad has never spoken to Joey or interacted with him, and when Joey flies to him, my dad without saying a word will pop him onto me or his play gym.
Everytime my dad enters the room Joey will make soft cooing noises and try to go to him.
I'm moving out in a few times, and Joey is my bird, i'm the one that made the commitment not my dad, so unfortunately i have to break this two up (even if the relationship is one-sided). Joey was raised by a man, and has only ever known male company, until now. Do you guys think this is a behaviour he will grow out of? Will he ever learn to love women as much as he does men? When my boyfriend comes over, Joey is all over him, just because he is a man :(. It makes me super sad!
I did make a similar post to this one previously however i did want to address the topic in a different manner.
In your experience have you ever seen a bird favour more than one person, and can a 'prefer' or 'bond' with more than one person in their lifetime?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :mrgreen:
Dixie-1

Re: Can birds 'bond' with more than one person?

Post by Dixie-1 »

Birds are flock animals so it would seem like they would interact with the entire flock. Quinn will do anything for my husband, but he is also fine with me. You need to remember those treats girl ! lol :D
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I agree with what dixie said.
It occurs to me that the best way to get our bird to hang out with a visitor in our house is to get them to ignore him, he gets curious and doesn't feel threatened by them so flies over to check them out.
All the men in your life should be allowed to interact with him, but you should give the best treats and the most attention.
I'm afraid that sometimes we just have to suck it up and accept that we aren't the current favourite person. Some birds switch favourites and as you will be the stable person in his life there is a good chance he may favour you one day.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

My bird is closely bonded to me as I am almost the only source of interaction he gets. I have a couple of visitors from time to time but there is one visitor that gives him quite a lot of attention and while he is here I get ignored and he seems very happy to be around that person. In his own way I believe he has bonded with that person. In fact when the bird hears his voice from the other room (when he first arrives) the bird gets pretty anxious and really starts demand free access to the house (so he can fly into the living room and socialize with his 'friend')

so yes.. birds, especially flock species can definitely bond with more than one person.
Caitrose96

Post by Caitrose96 »

This is very exciting news! I do hope that he begins to favour me one day! But if he doesn't then I guess that's okay too :)