Hormonal feather color and Fats' birdy love

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Hormonal feather color and Fats' birdy love

Post by ranechild »

At the Bird show in Baltimore last weekend there was a blue violet ringneck in the showcase judging. He was mature with his ring in and everything. His color was so much more vibrant than Fats' color. I noticed this particularly on his head.
So related to this, I have noticed the color of the feathers right around Fats' beak have brightened up. Much more vibrant. He's been gradually moulting--seems to be done now. Also he bit my ear the other day. Never did that before. And now, he doesn't just lean down and kiss his toys and talk to them, now he makes the heart shaped wings and after he "kisses" them, he wobbles his head sorta like a chicken neck in and out thing.
So I guess my boy is growing up. I suppose he might be bluffing a bit.
Question is--will his feathers continue to brighten up all over? Is this a change they usually experience as they mature? Is it different for different colors? Is it different for individuals?
Last edited by ranechild on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ranechild

Re: Hormonal feather color

Post by ranechild »

Um... so Fats just regurgitated for Camo. While he was on my chest and Camo was on my shoulder. Camo did not accept the offer. I guess that's what the back and forth chicken neck thing was. Vomit. Omg.
Is it OK for Fats to fall in love with Camo? Do males ever regurgitate for males? We don't know Camo sex for sure. I have suspected female for behavioral reasons. Omg.
MissK

Re: Hormonal feather color and Fats' birdy love

Post by MissK »

My opinion: Out of everyone living in your house, Camo is the most appropriate one for Fats to fall in love with. :D
-MissK