My little Ricky is sick...

Moderator: Mods

Invader ZIM

My little Ricky is sick...

Post by Invader ZIM »

Hey guys,

I used this forum over 5 years ago before deciding on getting an Indian Ringneck as a pet, and I've never regretted my choice. My little Ricky is an amazing bird going on over 5 years old now!!

But about a month ago we had to replace all the window blinds in his room, and I had to move his cage and him to another room for the day. After that incident he immediately started plucking out feathers, and mustard yellow diarrhea. For about three days straight I had hundreds of feathers he had pulled from his thighs and under both wings. For about 3 weeks I've tried about everything (Aloe spray, diet change, thinking this was a stress issue, but each day and night Ricky would pull out feathers, and after the initial 3 days, he started pulling out new feathers along with the shaft, with a little blood on the end.

After numerous internet searches for an answer, I suspected Girardia. Something that was latent, but came to the front when he got stressed out so much. He's lost a lot of weight in about a month, there's stains near his vent from the diarrhea.

Enough was enough, I called a few vets but in my area to my surprise they said they don't handle birds... I found the closest vet that said they would and got Ricky there this past Saturday. The vet agreed with me something was up with his weight loss, I showed him some photos of other birds like Cockatiels with Girardia that had the same pattern of feather plucking and itchy behavior and he prescribed metronidazole in a solution that's 10mg/ml (Can't read the label). Along with a dog and cat Liver flavored (yuck) vitamin supplement, called Liqui-Tinic 4x, both to be given orally in doses of 2 drops three times a day.

So far, after 3 days with the metronidazole and the Liquid-tinic, he's perked up, and actually started playing agressive as he's done before the incident a month ago. he even greatly slowed down on his feather picking and scratching. I asked how long he needs both medications, and the vet assistant said to use it until empty. To me it seems like it's excessive, I don't like this metronidazole when I saw the possible side effects, and there is enough of it for a month of three daily doses. Don't get me started on the dog and cat liver vitamins.... There's enough of that for 6 months of 3 daily doses....

I had three days of stool samples ready for the vet, along with some of his plucked feathers, and the test for mites came back negative. I'm still waiting for the results of the stool samples.

I'm concerned about his weight loss, but he's an active bird with bright eyes, and doesn't show any signs of weakness or dizzyness as of yet.

Does anyone know of any diet tips to help him put some weight on? He's on RoudyBush California Blend and Roudybush Rice diet and has been for 5 years. Each morning Ricky and I poke through the RoudyBush and pick out the carrot and pepper bits and raisin's and put them in a tea scoop, and then I add some water to it and mash it with a spoon so it makes a broth with the veggies, he loves it! I started putting Oregano into it, and his pellets too this week. And he gets apple and banana slices each time he takes his medicine to help get the bad taste out of his mouth. (I noticed this morning he seems to take the metronidazole, but he's regurgitating the Liquid-tinic, so I'm thinking of stopping that and supplementing with Featheriffic formed into a ball of peanut-butter the size of my pinky nail, along with sprouted parakeet seeds.

I've also taken his cage and completely disinfected it on Sunday with distilled white vinegar and peroxide, wiped down, hosed down, sprayed again with the mixtures, then hosed down and wiped off again. All perches were sprayed down with Vinegar and peroxide, then rinsed in hot wather, then all perches were baked in the oven at 255 degrees F for one hour. I've started a regimen of removing all his perches, food dishes, toys and either boiling and baking them each night when he goes to bed. The cage gets wiped down with the vinegar and peroxide and all surfaces he's walked on like the computer monitor, the tv, etc. The sleeper cage get's disinfected the same way during the day when he's in his large cage.

I don't know where I should have put this post, but I guess I just needed someone to hear me out what I'm doing. My family doesn't understand why I'm doing all this, but I didn't want to risk him getting reinfected with whatever caused his problem. I just pray he comes through this. I'm thinking of stopping the metronidazole after 5 to 7 days. I give him a total of 1.5ml of it each day according to the syringe the vet office gave me.

Here's a photo of Ricky this past Thursday, just before his visit to the vets.

And here's one of him now sitting on top of my computer monitor playing peek-a-boo with my camera while I wrote up this post.

Hang in there little buddy, I'm doing my best.
ranechild

Re: My little Ricky is sick...

Post by ranechild »

The poor thing... I think you are doing great. I would say that I wouldn't stop the metri-whatever-it's-called, quite so soon though. If he's turning around I would keep going with it till he gets back looking more normal. The cat/dog liver stuff you could probably replace with another vitamin.

For weight gain, use some protein in his diet. Beans? Eggs? and add some coconut oil to his food. This should help his feathers and adding some fat to his diet might make him gain some weight.

I think that cleaning everything is a great thing to do. gosh, you must be cleaning all the time! You really love your birdy!

Keep us updated. :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV.

However, I think you are saying the treatment is helping. I would be willing to endorse you skipping the vitamin supplement if you are certain he gets what he needs from his diet. I would think, however, that he should have more than three days of the medication. In general, it seems many medications are prescribed for a longer period, and frequently that period is between 1 and 2 weeks. We've all heard many times that just because you see improvement you should continue your course of medication, and it makes sense. Unless you are 100% better, it would seem there is still a need for improvement, and if medication effects the improvement then you need it, barring drastic detrimental side effects, of course.

There is something else I am considering could be afoot, and that is the effect of the extra care and attention Ricky is getting. I am a firm believer that this is helpful. I do not think it replaces medicine, but it's probably doing a good thing. I also think it will help the bird put on weight if he eats more. Certainly works for me....... So, perhaps a strategy might be to offer him tempting foods more often as you have some too. He may eat for social reasons even if he isn't really "hungry".

I wish you the best luck with Ricky.
-MissK
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

Yea, I didn't intend to stop the antibiotics after 3 days, I'm still giving it to him, but I thought that this medication was usually given for nor more than 7 to 10 days for birds from what I can find on the net. So I thought that as long as things were going well after 7 to 10 days perhaps I could back off, as I figure it might help his appetite and weight to come back. I noticed Ricky is getting better at regurgitating the medicine, so I'm going to have to use a different technique I guess.

He's eating more today after a rough start this morning. (He's molting on top of all this and is extremely itchy) I have him eating some chicken and the noodles from my chicken soup with me this afternoon, with apple after the medicine is given.

From what I read about the Metrodinazole, it's great at stopping diarrhea, inflammations, and killing many different parasites,etc, but also contributes to stop the patient from getting all his nutrients, that may be the reason for the vitamin supplement.
There is something else I am considering could be afoot, and that is the effect of the extra care and attention Ricky is getting. I am a firm believer that this is helpful. I do not think it replaces medicine, but it's probably doing a good thing.
Hehe, well he's not getting too much more attention than he got before, I was laid off from work and haven't found a new job yet, so I do spoil him each day with activities like music appreciation and singing badly, youtube ringnecks, and I'm gonna get your feet time. So he's already spoiled rotten, more so since I was laid off.
gosh, you must be cleaning all the time! You really love your birdy!

*sigh* I am, everyone laughs at me, If I'm not cleaning the sleeper cage, I'm waiting for Ricky's bedtime to clean the large one pictured. And I do love him enough to do everything I can to help him. Will keep you guys posted.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Just an update.

The Vet called and said that they found no parasites in Ricky's stool samples. I asked about keeping him on his medications and the assistant said that the Dr. didn't say anything about changing his prescription.
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's appropriate for you to ask specific questions of the vet if you have progress to report and need clarification. You give them an update, they have a chance to tweak the care. You can leave a specific message or speak to them directly. If I leave a message I usually ask them to read it back to me.
-MissK
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for that advice, I'm not used to going to the vet and how the interaction is supposed to go down. The Dr. told me he'd call me Monday by 2pm with the results of his stool, but never called. I called and inquired about the result Monday evening at 6pm only to get a rather curt "Don't call us, we'll call you when we get to it." So I didn't receive that call until Tuesday afternoon.

Also when asking about how long to give him these medications I got a " Yea, well use it all up." I said "That's a lot of medicine for a small bird, enough for months of 3 times a day treatment" They respond with "Yea, well make sure you use it until it's gone."

I have to admit, I'm a little upset about how I was treated at that vet, and after looking into it more, I think he should have taken the 4 very fresh stool samples Ricky left in his cage at the vet's office, instead of only taking the much older samples I had collected thinking it would help.

I cut out all nuts from Ricky's diet as of yesterday, he seems to go through a bad round of itchy and plucking behavior after I give him walnuts, or his Nutriberries as a treat. He's sleeping better at night I think, but still plucking, especially at night while in his sleeper cage. Fingers crossed and prayers prayed, I can't wait for this nightmare to end for us.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey there,
Sorry to hear what you and your bird are going through! I hope it clears up.

I believe giardia cysts are shed mostly first thing in the morning, which may be why your vet used the previously collected sample rather than fresh dropping from the cage. I expect you are aware already that it is a very hard illness to test for and false negatives are common. I have heard that it is best to test 3 days worth of morning samples because of this.

If you are not happy with the vets attitude and feel you are not getting a clear enough explanation on the medication, I don't think getting a second opinion would hurt (except your wallet). Your vet can send a copy of your birds medical history to either yourself or to the new vet.
I requested a copy of our birds records just incase I ever need it....
There is nothing worse than a vet that you feel you can't trust! I went to a local one for a dna test on our bird and he seemed so arrogant, combined with not really knowing much about birds. He also talked down to me, I was tempted to point out that I am actually a bit intelligent and can understand some big words. Instead I just vowed never to go to that vet again.

Best of luck to you both!
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for the great suggestions InTheAir. I think I'm going to take that advice if Ricky doesn't improve in the next few days.

Today was "Eeh." Ricky ate a ton of pellets and one peanut butter ball filled with featherrific last evening, he was doing pretty good that day. But at night he scratched and pulled numerous feathers out. So this morning I stopped the peanut butter, and gave him a small 1/4 tsp. of parakeet seeds to go with his Roudybush pellets. I noticed about an hour after he ate the seeds he had another fit of scratching and pulling feathers out.

I have removed all nuts and seeds from his diet and am only using the two Roudybush pellets he likes, as I'm now suspecting he may have a food allergy, the medication he's getting reduces inflammation, and Saturday and Sunday he only got pellets with the medication and showed little to no scratching and plucking by Monday. His droppings are becoming more numerous and less watery.

I plan to keep him on the antibiotics until Friday evening, that would be 7 days of treatment three times a day. Hopefully his appetite will improve more after he's off of it this weekend. He's more readily taking the antibiotics since it's strawberry flavored (I tasted it to see :lol: ) and less stressed out because I'm not fighting him with the liver flavored vitamin supplement which he was regurgitating.

I just keep praying for him.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I agree with InTheAir. Giardia is one of the hardest parasites to test for and to treat. I do not however agree with your vets treatment plan and I would suggest you seek another opinion. The normal course of treatment is 5 days. And then it's repeated one month later. The reason for this is that the medicine can only kill the live parasites and not the eggs. So the timing has to be specific in order to catch the hatched adults. It's very hard to treat as I said. Your vet most likely just kept your bird on the medicine to cover his butt. But that medicine, even with the vitamins, can deplete your bird of his natural stores. Increase his dark leafy greens if you can, his orange veggies, and calcium and protein. And please seek another opinion. Good luck.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks Skyes_crew, your assessment is similar to my own, which makes me feel better about my decision to stop the Metroldazol after 7 days. When I thought about the amount of Metroldazol the vet gave me, there's enough for at least the month, perhaps more, so I figured he did that to make sure all of the infection was gone. However because of the depletion of nutrients it tends to do, I don't think Ricky will make it on that medicine that long, after reading up on how this stuff affects birds I want him off of it ASAP.

He's on day 6 as of today. I planned on giving him the last 3 doses on Friday and then taking him off of it. His stools are normal green colored and larger in size since he started, seems to be eating well too. He's on my shoulder as I write this, very bright eyed and bushy tailed, and playing with some of his cage toys this morning. He isn't itching/plucking as much this morning.

Thanks for letting me know about the repeat of treatment after one month, if I can't find any good avian vets, I may have to go my own route and get the Ronivet-S 12% since it's considered more effective and safer for Girardia, and can be put in his drinking water. I found info on it here:

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_ronivets12.php

I've been following the optimum disinfection plan on this site religiously : http://www.birdsafe.com/health.htm#Giardia
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Globe grapes, the ones with seeds in them, apparently there is something in the seeds which stops feather plucking. Personally, I think the turbulence of all the changing around upset him, and upset his tummy, also, emotionally upset him. He will probably settle down once he has forgotten it.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Hi sanjays mummi.

I'll have to look into the globe grapes, thanks for the info.

To be honest I believe your right. When we moved his cage that day for the renovations to the room that certainly sent him over the edge in stress levels. I think the stress might have weakened his immune system which allowed something else to come to the forefront.

He's starting to throw up after giving him the antibiotic this afternoon. His stools are normal and they don't smell, so I'm going to give him one last dose tonight before putting him to bed and sanitizing his large cage all over again.

Tomorrow he's got a lot of new, fresh toys that are going in, and no more antibiotics, will be trying more homeopathic things like fresh garlic and some probiotics for the next few days to help him keep away any secondary bacterial/yeast infections.

He's getting less itchy and plucky as the evening wears on, hoping tomorrow is even better for him.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It sounds like you have a good recovery strategy. Btw roudybush makes a rice based pellet for birds with food allergies.
I hope he continues to improve!
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks InTheAir, Ricky usually gets a mixture of the RoudyBush California Blend, with the Rice pellets you mentioned. He's had those as part of his diet since I got him. Sometimes he just prefers one pellet over the other, he's been eating a lot of the Rice ones this week.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Just an update.

7th day, first day of no antibiotics.

Ricky is eating more, definately more stops to the food dish, avoiding the apple slice and only going for his pellets. He's also gone to the bathroom more times in 3 hrs than he was in a day while on the antibiotics. Also his droppings continue to look good, dark green, white and neatly coiled up as illustrated in the chart below. I've put sterilized older and new perches and toys back into a similar fashion that Ricky's been used to, and he immediately took to them, chewing on cactus wood and playing with a grapevine ball packed with dried palm leaves.

Let's call my feelings as Optimism is guarded, cautious. But hopeful.

Since this all began, I've scoured many forums for information, so I'm going to put up what I've found that helped me with Ricky, perhaps someone will refer or come across this post and it might help save their precious little friend.

Know your parrot's poop: http://www.freedomflightsparrotrescue.ca/Poopology.html

One bird owner's experience with Girardia and his birds over a 10 year timespan: http://www.birdsafe.com/story_bird5.htm

These are Cockatiel droppings, but are similar to Indian Ringnecks and helped to see there was a problem.

Stress and Girardia signs in droppings from a Cockatiel. Ricky was showing signs of both photos the week leading up to his Vet visit.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for sharing that! I'm sure many people will benefit from it.
I'm wishing your little Ricky a quick recovery.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Update for Day 8:

Ricky now has the appetite of a small horse, he's inhaling his pellets and veggies as never before, The amount of food in his dish I usually put in would normally last him 3 days, now only lasted 6 hours before needing refilled. Starting to get his old personality back.

Update for Day 9: Again eating like a horse, no longer itching as often, and not finding any plucked feathers other than a few molted ones at the bottom of the cage, and a lot of powder down. Definitely signs of his old personality are showing up as he used to growl like the dog at my grandmother when she leaned on his cage. He has done so at her this morning for the first time in months. Also noticing that when he sleeps it's the proper one leg up method instead of keeping both feet on the perch which means he wasn't feeling well.

Question for other Indian Ringneck owners, how much sleep does your little guys get? Ricky was on a 12 to 13 hour sleep schedule for about 5 years. Usually going to bed at 7:30pm and getting up around that time in the morning. After I was laid off from work, his schedule got messed up a bit (I know, I'm a bad parent.) I'd let him stay up until 9 pm playing with him and then eventually he got to the point he was up until midnight with me....

So The past few weeks I've been trying to get him to bed earlier, last night was 8:30 pm, but he's obviously agitated about it and I can hear how restless he is in his cage overnight since he's in my bedroom with me. I want what's best, but it's hard to get him to sleep without him getting upset. He uses delaying tactics when I bring him to his sleeper cage. Insisting that he climb around on top and play games like "Whee Whee" and give kisses to me and his mirror reflection. I have to eventually turn off the room lights and sit in the dark and tell him "It got dark, that means it's sleepy time." Sometimes he gets the hint and goes into his sleeper cage, but he's not happy about it.

I was wondering if he'd get along better if he stayed up until maybe 10:00 pm and got up with me at 8:00 am. But I don't know if 10 hours is enough for a Ringneck.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Update for the past few days,

Day 10 to Day 13:

There was a relapse in plucking and itching, this appears to have been caused by the bee pollen granules introduced into his diet one day. Once he started scratching I removed the bee pollen, and only used his two Roudybush pellets with dried veggies and fruits, with some fresh bannana and apple slices as treats, as well as cooked pasta. After the second day without bee pollen, nuts, or seeds he slowed down on the picking and scratching. Last night was the first night I believe he had a good nights sleep in a long time. He's taking many naps during the past two days, but not picking and scratching at all, and standing on one foot with head twisted into his back for sleep. The bottom of his sleeper cage was very clean, aside from the 8 droppings he made, with very few naturally molted down feathers and powder down last night.

He's also not nearly as agitated when I move at night or when someone walks by his cage.

He's also had some probiotics in his food the past few days, but they aren't causing the itching.

I have some Roudybush High Energy food that's arrived, and will try giving him some of that to help gain weight. Roudybush direct told me they recommended the Senior formula to put on weight because of the balance of vitamins and minerals in the mix, but I already had purchased the High Energy breeder a week ago in an attempt to get nutrition into him for the short term, I noticed the High Energy has peanut meal in it, which he might like the flavor of.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear he's still on the mend!
Did your vet have any thoughts on food allergies?

My boyfriend and I aren't great at getting Nila to bed on time either! He's meant to be in bed by 8, and he has also has mastered delaying tactics so it's more like 8:30 most nights and he gets up when he wants to, usually around 7am. Nila naps during the day too.

My new bird is on natural light, more or less, which seems to be about 11 hours here at the moment, possibly a little less... I'm not up at sunrise, and don't want to be.

When the days start getting shorter again I will try to modify Nilas bedtime so it mimics the natural light length.... We were doing that, but we got slack.

There might be some useful stuff in this thread on that subject.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17713
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for that link InTheAir, yea bedtime for Ricky is tricky most nights. Last night was easy for a change, he was pooped.

He seems to know when I come sit with him in the late evening that bedtime is soon, so he starts stuffing himself with his food just before bed, which seems to be around 10:00 pm.

He started waking me up with a quiet "Hello" at around 8:00 am, so he must be comfortable with 10 hours of sleep plus naps during the afternoon.
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Update:

Noticed a small yellow tinge to the urates in his droppings, most of the urates are bright white though and when I wiped one of his droppings off from the cage bottom I found a complete undigested Roudybush pellet inside.

Needless to say, I'm pretty alarmed, as I thought the worst was over. Ricky's been on probiotics to help his digestion the past few days, so I'm hoping it's just a fluke, and that his digestion will settle down with time. I don't know if I should put him on the 7 day Ronivet-S 12% antibiotic yet as I hesitate to put him through that kind of stress again.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

If your bird had any other symptoms of being sick I would direct you back to the vet for your bird to be tested for PDD. But this is what I believe is going on. When your bird became ill he was placed on an antibiotic. This upest the flora in his stomach, which you then counteracted with the probiotics. Unfortunately at the same time you also changed his food. Even though its still made by roudybush, it's still a new formuls and can cause gastrointestinal upset. Continue on with the probiotics and pay careful attention to the amount, if any, of undigested food that passes. It may have been a one time deal. And in the future, always slowly switch a food even if it is by the same company. Hope that helps :D

Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

I'm thinking your right Skyes_crew, I went through his other 8 droppings in panic and found no undigested pellets in them. Perhaps the dropping in question might have fallen onto a pellet already at the bottom of the cage (There were a few other identical size pellets that had fallen near the dropping.)

I hope this is a case of "I panicked" :oops:

He's not completely on the new pellets, a few days ago they were mixed 1/3 Hi Energy 1/3 Rice Diet 1/3 California blend, slowing increasing the Hi Energy every day. Today was probably 70% Hi Energy 20% Rice, and 10% California.

Can a bird be born with PDD?? I'm unfamiliar with the disease.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I looked for an article that would give you the most information and came across this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... ourceID=62

Please use it for informational purposes only though. I do not believe your bird is suffering from this :D
I don't want to start an outbreak scare lol.

It's good that you slowly mixed in the new food. It's probably as you suspect and he pooped on the pellet.

MissK

Post by MissK »

Given the stuff Rocky leaves lying around, my money's on pellet was just in the line of fire.

BTW, just realized Ricky and Rocky are just a letter apart - this must count for something! :D
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Get well soon Ricky!!!

You are so very dedicated. Wishing you all the best. It does sound like he's on the mend!
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks for that info Skyes_crew, wow that's scary stuff to read, there's some terrible diseases that can affect all living things. But it's good they recently discovered the virus responsible and can go after it.

MissK, it's one heck of a coincedence, my grandfather for years tried to name Ricky "Rocky" :D Telling him everyday his name was Rocky, for months. I tried to name him "Buddy" But after a few months of him watching his favorite Disney TV show, he started yelling "Ricky" Which we think might be "Mickey for Mickey Mouse" As soon as we'd say "Ricky" from then on he immediately responds to you or comes to you when you called his name.

Thanks for the kind wishes ranechild, my family all prays for Ricky too, we all love him so much.

He's an amazing bird, and has exceeded all of my expectations for a feathered buddy. :D
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

5 more days, and Ricky is doing okay I guess.

He's eating about 90% of the Hi Energy Roudybush (which they changed the formula to soy meal) and 10% Rice Diet, had a bad three days of plucking and itchy behavior when he had a tiny bit of peanut butter, so that's another food off his list. (Thank goodness the Roudybush didn't have the peanut meal in it.) Not plucking for two days now, but going through his moult so he gets misted every other day.

He's gone from about 6 droppings a night to 10. And during the day he was barely doing 10 and now he goes about 25 times a day, which I guess is more normal.

He eats his pellets, then promptly wants to go to his special heated perch and take naps. I play with him a little more and he likes the playtime, but wants to nap a lot during the day, even when on my shoulder. Hopefully it's just him catching up from the last few bad days and nights when he was itchy from the peanut butter.

Long road to recovery I guess, but he's a trooper. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You're doing a fabulous job :D Ricky for sure will be tip top shape soon.

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

(((((Ricky))))))) and you!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:You're doing a fabulous job :D Ricky for sure will be tip top shape soon.
I agree!
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Thanks guys,

After two days of Ricky wanting to sleep all day and night, he has a little more energy today. It's also the first sunny day we've had in a week so I'm sure that brings his spirits up.

He's running behind the computer monitor playing peek-a-boo and popping out from behind saying Here I am! I took a few photos this morning while he was playing. One of him, and some poop shots... I think his urine is clear, when a dropping is fresh it's clear, but when they dry out that green leeches out on the newspaper, so I'm really hoping and praying he doesn't have any liver problems.

His appetite is increasing, he goes to the bathroom about a dozen times in his 10hr sleep, and over 25 times during the day. I'm alternating between a little Alfalfa mixed in his food, and Oregano. New toys arriving today should give him more fun things to play with.

Freshest one is on the left.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

If its not too cold outside take him out in his travel cage and let him have a sit in the sun. The sun is wonderful medicine all by itself :)

He looks great btw :)

Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

The sun is a seasonal thing with us, and I agree, it's good medicine for me too lol. From May to September I take him out almost daily, but now the high temperature is 40 degrees Farenheit, and it's gonna snow this afternoon, so we have to make do indoors until May. :(

He got a tiny piece of my homeade pizza crust with tomato sauce and oregano in it, and he's definately more lively today, hope that keeps improving.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is now 5 years since the last post from InvaderZIM about Ricky. Is it possible to have an up date of what has happenend to Ricky during this time? I think Invader ZIM has been extremely brave and resourceful this example of courage has been an eye openener for me.
AJPeter
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Hi AJPeter, thanks for the very kind words.

Ricky's had a pretty good 5 years, when I got him he was on a diet that seemed to make his feathers dull and he had large chips and cracks in his beak from being picked on by other birds at the aviary. Within 8 months he learned his first words and has been a very healthy and wonderful part of the family right up until August of this year when we had "The Incident" with the window blinds being changed and his cage being moved for a day.

Right now he's not sleeping as much during the day, and today is showing increased stamina. He took his cactus wood and put it in his food dish to chew up. (This is normal, he's done that for years, but hasn't done so because of his recent illness.) He's also vocalizing much more and talking, singing, playing with toys again and making up songs. He and I listen to classical music and Ricky has again started to join in the singing when he hears a choir or an opera. (He's really out of tune by the way.)

He's occasionally plucking out a single feather during the night, but for the most part the itching and plucking has greatly diminished. I'm still very cautious about his condition, but today really made me feel like Ricky is coming out of that dark tunnel. I'd feel sad about his condition while he's sitting with me and he'd push his beak and head into my cheek and say "Good Boy" or he'll sing a note from his music which made me feel better.

We're hanging in there, things are looking up. :D
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Oops l was looking at your joining date as being your last post and not looking at the post its self sorry about that but it is good to hear from you again it is always a worry when things start happening it is all too easy to read into a bad hair day a major illness looming. Will Ricky have relapses?
AJPeter
Invader ZIM

Post by Invader ZIM »

Well, so far regarding relapses, it only happens if I give him nuts, peanut butter, or seeds. He'll pluck for about 3 days after getting a single almond as a treat for example. And the itching starts an hour after he's gotten something he's allergic to.

Now that I'm figuring out what he's allergic to he's starting to do much better. There was no plucking at all today, and he's much more alert and lively. Just have to stick to his strict diet and not give in to his begging for treats.

I got some Giant size Roudybush pellets coming this week, so I intend to use them as the treats in place of the nuts he's allergic to. I can put them in his foraging toys and give them out freely as treats without worrying he'll have a reaction to them... That's the plan so far anyways :D
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

My bird Billie will not eat nuts, hates them and throws them out of her bowl, she wont eat pellets, does not like sugar cane
She seems to have things that are in fashion like millet spray Corn cobs but they have gone out of fashion. I gave her a small sweet tomato and although she ate it it seems to have upset her eco system. Oh she does not like pine nuts either. She still likes sugar snap peas and likes cooked veg But is good you can work with little Ricky over his diet. Going back ot the days of the Macaw their was only one person who could make him sing like Little Richard.
AJPeter