Rehabilitating a Ringneck after a Stroke?

Moderator: Mods

JonoH

Rehabilitating a Ringneck after a Stroke?

Post by JonoH »

Hi all,

Seeking any advice in regards to the chances and the whether it is possible to rehabilitate a ringneck after it has had a stroke.

Reason for asking is one of my 12 week old babies had a stroke the other night, initially i did not think it would make it through the night as it was barely moving and not taking any food (i had to force feed it).

After seeing a vet (who did not think there was much we could do) and seeing an expert breeder from the area (who suggested trying one thing), the bird is picking up a little, chirping and trying to move around, however due to the stroke, one of the birds eyes is slightly closed and it struggles to move its foot on that side (when it tries to walk it falls over).

However he can still flap his wings and is slowly getting more interested in food, he will not feed himself at all though and i do have to force feed him a little to make sure he eats enough.

The question i guess is do you think this is something he will get over, or will the damage be permanent (ie will he be disabled for the rest of his life and require manual feeding). I have tried looking for anything about this on the forum and the internet but there is very little information about this subject.

Cheers

Jono
JonoH

Re: Rehabilitating a Ringneck after a Stroke?

Post by JonoH »

Thanks Molossus

I have been doing that so far so will keep it up and hope he recovers, on a positive note he is taking the formula at night again now willingly, still no interest in any veg and fruit or crumbles though.

Cheers
JonoH

Post by JonoH »

Just an update for anyone who was interested, i have managed to re-habilitate the bird back to at this stage 95% of what he was like before.

After the stroke it would barely move, sit in its cage looking miserable, also for a few weeks after it struggled to move its left leg as this was the side of the bird affected by the stroke.

Now it is moving its leg fine (albeit a little slower than normal) and perching really well, in fact he is jumping around his cage and wants to get back into the bigger cage.

The success of this was due to a number of things from what i noted, one being a suggestion by a local breeder to give the bird a small amount of berocca in its formula for a few feeds after the stroke to help pick it up - which worked!

Also i put him in with a month old baby that i am also hand raising as this seemed to give him a new lease of life.

The only way you can tell now that this bird has had a stroke is one of his eyes seems to droop slightly, although hopefully with time this will fix itself also. (See attached pic)

bilalk064

Post by bilalk064 »

Hay. Guyz what can you do if baby ringneck legs are broken or was sqwached by its mother and he crawls walks ????? We're must I put em n if he in da cage how is he gona walk around and he is droping weight n hardly eating??? Pleeewz help
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

bilalk064, I'm so sorry I can't answer your question and for coming off as a douchebag but please don't type like that.
bilalk064

Post by bilalk064 »

What you mean douchbag ?? How did I type ?? I never be rude or anything. its fine though
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

You weren't rude, I was. I just meant I have a hard time reading your posts with how you type, like with the "put em n if he in da cage" stuff.
bilalk064

Post by bilalk064 »

Okay thank you for telling me I will not type like that again so sorry for that so if I type that post in full words will you understand ??
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Jono,

I'm really pleased to hear your bird is doing so well. Honestly, that's pretty exciting. I know creatures can make amazing recovery after a stroke (happened to my mom, and today you can hardly tell!) but I always kinda assume the worst.

I'm sure your care had something to do with the recovery! Keep up the good work!
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Bilalk064,

I realize it's a little selfish of me, but I also don't like to have to work to understand what people are saying. If posts are not presented in *reasonably* clear English, with some attempt at helpful punctuation, I generally will not even bother to try to read the post, let alone to answer it. I do make some allowances when I can see English is not somebody's first language, but I never want to see "cell phone speak". I feel that hey, you're asking me for help. Don't make it difficult for me to help you.

That said, it seems you are asking about how to take care of a baby bird with wrong legs that isn't eating like it should. You will need to find out if the legs are actually broken or if they just stick out wrong. Then you can post a reasonably worded request for help. The breeders' section would be a good place to post, since the breeders are the ones who will be most able to help you with this problem. If the legs are not actually broken, I think you should also do a forum search for the term "splayed legs" and read the results.

I wish you the best luck with helping your young bird.
-MissK
bilalk064

Post by bilalk064 »

Hi?
bilalk064

Post by bilalk064 »

Hi okay sorry for typing like that yes he is not eating much as normal and biting on the sawdust so I'm not sure if he is ready to wean or what and the legs are forming a ball the joint the whole leg is turned. Around so I would like to know when its time to put him in the cage how is he going to balance himself and be able to walk around the cage because right now I have got him in a fishtank and he is crawling so now can anyone understand and help me please ?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Bilalk064.

Please repost your questions in the breeders' section of the forum. We can't answer your questions here. We don't know the answers. I hope they will understand you. Good luck.
-MissK