Help!!!

Moderator: Mods

Tjgosling

Help!!!

Post by Tjgosling »

Hello everyone i have a green Indian ringneck parrot currently unnamed but thinking of the name Merlin. Hes around 5 months old so i was told by his previous owner. hes been moved to my bedroom in the corner next to the window so he can view out while i am at work. hes not tamed either shall i mention. my mum and her friend who is living with us give him attention while i am at work for 8-12 hours a day then i come home and spend a few hours in his company giving him a peanut and some fruit while talking to him. one thing i have noticed is when i get close he is fluffing his feathers, his wings in a heartish shape then he is biting the air. i cant work out if he is sneezing or a act of aggression and warning me not to get to close. has anyone else had this ? he also makes ticking noises with his mouth.

i still need to give him a better diet he is on seeds and peanuts and has some fruit but i am thinking of getting him some kind of pellets aswell ?
Melika

Re: Help!!!

Post by Melika »

I'll chime in on the diet: Why not veggies instead of pellets for now? Since he will eat a little fruit, let's get him used to eating as many different healthy foods as possible early on. Pellets are useful to have, but aren't necessary. And welcome to the forum!

You can find a lot of your diet questions answered here: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lola13

Post by lola13 »

He sounds like he's doing it as a way of telling you not to come closer. My Lola is not tame she's now 12-13 months old. My Lola will fluff her feathers up and scream in my face if I stand to close to her. It's a new thing though.

With the diet why not get some stainless steel skewers and hang all kinds of fruit and veg on it. My Lola loovvves it! Make sure it's SS though as I brought one that was advertised SS but wasn't!
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello, Aero also fluffs his feathers and squawks. He was doing it more often when we got him but now he is decreasing this! What do you think this behaviour means.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Lolas just started screaming in our faces then before wouldn't move-i think with her its dominance and she's getting abit of a attitude.

Maybe He's fluffing his feathers to appear bigger and scarier to you?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lola: From what I have read and heard I don't think dominance is part of the parrot social structure. Nila certainly doesn't display any signs of having a hierarchical system in our house hold either.
To figure out why a bird is displaying certain behaviours try looking at the context, what else is happening in the house, what unrelated noises can you hear, exactly what you are doing just before the behaviour occurred.
I would caution you against writing her objections to your presence off as dominance and attitude.
AlphaWolf wrote:Hello, Aero also fluffs his feathers and squawks. He was doing it more often when we got him but now he is decreasing this! What do you think this behaviour means.
Our bird will occasionally do something similar if I am hogging the shower when he wants the water sprayed at him. He displays all the signs he usually uses to denote that he is in the mood to get wet first, if I am still impassive he will fluff up and squawk.
Also, if he wants out of the cage sometimes he will fluff on his perch, open his wings slightly, do a little jump on the spot and squawk. Basically it looks like he would be flying if that silly cage wasn't in the way. I haven't seen him do this often, but it usually comes after I have put him in his cage so I can cook.
This differs from the ops first discription in that our bird doesn't add any biting movements.
In both situations, I guess I could possibly say he is not very impressed by the current circumstances.

Sorry about the half hearted attempt at objectivity on my part, I have attempted to keep this post short. :wink:

Regards,
Claire
Tjgosling

Post by Tjgosling »

Thank you for all of your posts. hes settling in better now. i recon hes trying to warn me off by biting the air as if to say that is whats going to happen to me if i come any closer lol now hes settled abit he doesnt seem to be doing it at much. sinse ive had him hes been moved a little so he isnt properly settled. i wont be moving him anymore. im currently putting music on to settle him. he was close to taking a peanut from me yesterday but hes still not 100% sure of me lol