Dye fun with wood!

Moderator: Mods

lola13

Dye fun with wood!

Post by lola13 »

What are you guys best tips for deep colours with dying wood?

I know some use Vitacritter but I can't find it on Amazon.co.uk So its got to be Uk based food colouring sites.

I've been on Wilton and Klassicool websites I've looked up and any reviews on them?

Thanks in advance!
Melika

Re: Dye fun with wood!

Post by Melika »

Some people use Kool Aid (don't add the sugar), and some people have had success with cake icing dyes. I have not dyed any myself.

Instead of posting a separate topic, you can edit your posts. You might want to go back and delete the duplicate topic you made earlier. If you can't delete it, flag it using the ! at the bottom right of your post and ask for it to be deleted or merged. Otherwise you end up with comments in each one and it just gets weird. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Haha god I'm dumb,forgot I'd already posted. I'm getting such a bad memory!

I hear Kool aid but again its something that I havnt seen in the UK,gr!

I don't know what toy places use to dye their wood its akways so deep and vivid!
Melika

Post by Melika »

lola13 wrote:Haha god I'm dumb,forgot I'd already posted. I'm getting such a bad memory!

I hear Kool aid but again its something that I havnt seen in the UK,gr!

I don't know what toy places use to dye their wood its akways so deep and vivid!
They usually use vegetable based dyes that are non-toxic.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Well I've brought some 100% natural dye. It's got E numbers in them which I don't know if they are toxic or not. It says 100% natural so they should be okay? Also I'm watering down the dye I don't know if that makes a difference.

I've read people use Wilton dyes which contains sugar which would make the dye have a taste.

If vitacritter don't ship to the UK then I really don't know what to use.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Perhaps you can ask this woman what is in the dyes she has for sale here? http://www.etsy.com/shop/MichellesVarie ... d=13014761
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Oh that's the same lady that sells Vittacritter. She's replied to my email said she posts to the UK. I think she's busy as I've not heard from her in a week. Going to chase it up this weekend
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Can you use food colouring to dye wood?

If it's safe for people can you assume it's safe for birds?