What's your motivation?

Moderator: Mods

Ringneckpatrick

What's your motivation?

Post by Ringneckpatrick »

Being a new member, I'm curious to know what is your motivation for a ringneck parakeet? Did you acquire one/them for a pet or for breeding?
" The Gentle Way Sensei "
Madhuri

Re: What's your motivation?

Post by Madhuri »

My motivation is a Pet. I think they looks like sweet birds, also what i have read about them . :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

I had been attracted to the idea of keeping a "pet" parrot for several decades. I admired their wildness, the way they move, their "differentness" from other pets I'd kept, their intellect, and their looks.

Originally, while I had kept a Budgie and Canaries, I was thinking I liked the Blue & Gold Macaw, but I clearly understood that was too much bird for me. I considered the commonly kept small parrots, the Cockatiels, Lovebirds, and Conures, but they didn't seem to have *quite* the right stuff for me. I liked some of the Conures, but their loud reputation held me back.

One day at a bird show I saw a table full of blue Indian Ringnecks and Something Happened. It just clicked for me. I looked one of those birds in the eye and he looked back at me, and I felt I had found the one. So I spent a year researching, considered I could adopt either a bird OR a human child, but not both, and decided on a mature male Ringneck. After that, it was just a matter of finding the right one for me.

I like the bird himself, the way he moves around, his happiness playing with his toys, the enjoyment he shows in what I provide for him. I like having him come out into my space of the house, and I like that he is content to remain in his space when I'm not able to bring him out and supervise him. I like the way he is very much a wild animal, though we have got a way of communicating and interacting. I like the way he is active and how he's both a "hands on" pet AND an independent roommate. Ringnecks are not the only species who could do all that. I also like his personal habits (well, most of them) and the fact he is small enough to be spaciously accommodated in my home. I think he is uncommonly beautiful as well, though he is just a standard green Ringneck.

Now I have been living with my bird for 17 months and I am still quite certain he was the right choice for me. I have been considering a second bird, possibly a Psittacula, possibly a Poicephalus, and I confess I hold every one of them up against the standard of the "Perfect" bird I have already. I go to bird shows and pet shops and look at every bird there. I always have a smug smile as I see that my bird is better than any other bird I see. This is the satisfaction that comes from a job well done. In this case, that was the job of researching, honestly evaluating my own situation and personality, and researching some more. Because I chose carefully, I can have Christmas Morning every day! :D
-MissK
Madhuri

Post by Madhuri »

Aw that is really sweet the way you tell about your bird MissK. Thats how i hope i will be. I have had amazone and timneh before, but i am looking so much forward to get to know this little breed of bird . They sound so wonderful <3
Ringneckpatrick

Miss K,

Your parameters for selection were very similar to mine.

While most birds are quite vocal, the desire to have one that isn't so loud the neighbors complain was a major consideration for me. Size was also a major factor.

Really though I just wanted a pet that I could admire and interact with in a positive way. After my best friend past away (Norbert, my dog) it left a very large vacancy in my heart and daily routine. Having a long term relationship with an animal has so many wonderful life giving benefits. So I decided on these magical creatures.

After 43 years of life experience, choosing a pet companion is something that took heavy consideration. These birds in their wild ways really add to the enjoyment of life for what it truly is. Mine are pets, but maybe someday there may be chicks in the future. Never say never right? :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I have many kinds of birds....but the ones held closest to my heart are my ringnecks and my alexandrine. No matter how bad of a day I'm having...nothing cheers me up like a "watcha doin" or a "gimme kiss" from my babies. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I had never considered a pet parrot until last year when I was trying to figure out what to get my boyfriend for his birthday. He had talked quite a bit about how he'd like a little parrot buddy one day.
A ringneck seemed the bird most likely to suit us and they are so pretty! I "surprised" my boyfriend by taking him to see a clutch of handraised babies after weeks of discussing the pros and cons of different parrot species. Nila begged at Dave until he was on Daves shoulder, we weren't leaving without him.

Our joint criteria was more or less: mustn't be likely to have a longer lifespan than us, might talk, not too large, can be good little buddies whilst still knowing they are birds, clever, DOESN'T sound like a sun conure was quite high up there too!
We weren't overly fussed either way about having a bird that can be patted or not.

Personally, I've always wanted quail. I love watching them. I find it very hard to resist buying them... One day I will have some.
Luckily, we have crested pigeons nesting in a tree next to our house and they are just as silly and amusing to watch for now...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We had just got married and after years of living in apartments and rental properties, we decided we could finally get a pet. My husband knew how happy pets made me, so he wanted me to have one. We went out to some pet stores with the intention of getting a cat. We were a bit put off because none of the pet stores would let you handle the kittens to see how they liked you. I did some further research and also found that our wildlife protection laws meant that we would either have to have an indoor cat or build a cat run. We also live on the back of forest, so we thought a cat probably wasn't the most responsible choice we could make. Whilst we were at a pet store looking at cats, we came across a beautiful white, tamed young ringneck... and we were in love! I started to search for local breeders... and at the time I could only find one, an hours drive away. So... I put an order in for a male and we waited until the eggs hatched. When we went to visit, the breeder said all of the DNA tests had come back female (there was one male, but someone got in ahead of us)... so after looking at all of Janey's sisters, we chose her and brought her home.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I will only disagree on one point. You can teach an older ringneck to talk. My secondhand ringneck said not a word when I got her. She now says 4or 5 phrases and a handful of other words and she picks up new ones all the time. MissK adopted a 10 year old bird and she has taught him words. It just takes time and patience and plenty of repetition. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

To be fair, he only talks a little, and only when he feels like it, but yes, he does have a few words. The more important thing, I think, is that I will go to my grave swearing he has repeated a few words immediately after hearing them the first time, and never said them again. Please don't discount the skills and potential of older birds, be they yours or someone elses'.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

My boyfriend and I bought a house together and he was finally able to bring his Quaker parrot Camo to come live with him. He had always been concerned that the noise wouldn't be favorable in an apartment complex and with it just being him living there that Camo would get bored and lonely (apparently this had happened before.) We discussed at length possibly getting a friend to keep Camo company.

First goal was to get Camo and I aquainted. In the meantime I tired to educate myself on birds (having never owned or been around one my whole life). I watched alot of youtube videos and Bowie quickly became a favorite. I liked his character. I researched Indian ringnecks and found them to be intelligent, possibly able to talk, beautiful flyers, and above all curious. I'm curious and knowledge seeking myself so I liked that about ringnecks.

We had to consider what kind of companion would be good for Camo. We talked about a Cockatiel or Budgie, but we needed a bird that Camo wouldn't bully (QP's have a reputation for being King of the Hill). Camo has bitten of Budgie toes before... So a bird a little bigger than Camo.

I also wanted a bird a little more intrepid than Camo-- Camo does not play with toys. I like buying the colorful toys--it's more about me than him-- but he just won't play.

I wanted another cuddly bird that would take tickles and scritches (I didn't end up getting that).

My boyfriend wanted an Eclectus parrot, but they were too too expensive to get. And a bit bigger than we were projecting we wanted. They are pretty chill though--which we kind of liked.

In the end, I kept searching for Indian Ringneck babies. and I found one. It took months to find one, but I found a broker within driving distance and worked out the timing. And now we have wonderful Fats :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

I just fell into IRNs. I really wanted a green-wing macaw, a vos ekkie male, a meyer's parrot, or a military macaw. I even had names picked out for them. But while working, we had a client that had a pair of green IRNs and they had chicks. They off-handedly asked me, "Do you want one?" And I said sure, though I thought they were joking. Then I realised they were actually serious and figured, why not? A week later we (my sister and I) chose from the four chicks and brought Hane and Tsume home and handfed them, as I had already been trained by some breeder friends years before how to do so.

I still want my dream birds, but I think I'm spoiled by how independent Hane is and don't know if I want a bird that is more demanding. :lol: Not to mention that I am now married and my husband says no more birds.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I had wanted a parrot for years, having come into contact with parrots at a parrot rescue sanctuary, so, when I had to give up my dog to get my flat, it said on the tenancy agreement I could have a budgie, or a goldfish, A year later I answered an ad in the local paper, baby parrot for sale, and along came Sanjay, he was so tiny!, when my landlord called, he peered in to Sanjays nursery cage, and said "whats that?", I said, "that is my budgie", and he laughed!.
Ringneckpatrick

sanjays mummi wrote: when my landlord called, he peered in to Sanjays nursery cage, and said "whats that?", I said, "that is my budgie", and he laughed!.
He's just a budgie that grew larger than average because you feed him so well 8)