Registering Pet Birds?

Moderator: Mods

Melilott

Registering Pet Birds?

Post by Melilott »

Hi there,

Is there a way to make your pet birds easier to find if they accidentally fly away or get stolen? I'm thinking similar to micro-chipping for dogs and cats?

Also is it a good idea or even possible to register your pet birds like you would a dog or cat? :)

Sadly we lost one of our darling cockatiels this year, and I'm basically looking for a way to prevent it from happening again. We keep our birds wings clipped but after this loss I'm a little paranoid as you can understand. :oops:
Skyes_crew

Re: Registering Pet Birds?

Post by Skyes_crew »

Just recently it became available to us here in Hawaii to have our pet birds microchipped. It is about the same cost as having a dog or cat done. The difference is the avian vet you choose. Confident AV's can administer the MC while the bird is awake. A lot of AV's still prefer to use anesthesia though. Either way, you should research it and discuss both ways with your AV and see which way is best suited for your pet bird.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Thanks for the replies guys. I really thought they'd offer the registering option at least, but it makes sense that microchipping isn't really worth it if no one knows to ask a vet about it.

I guess when I get my Ringneck baby I'll just be super careful and protective. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I personally haven't thought of microchipping just yet. May be something for the future if the bands could ever be properly registered. But rather than scanning for an ID I would think it would be more beneficial for it to contain some sort of LoJack tracking device.

Wouldn't it be cool if birds were traceable by tracking devices? We could pull up NORAD and see all the runaways all over the world. Of course with the morons in our government they would mistake them for incoming missile threats :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

During the ongoing and meandering search for The Second Bird, I considered an unbanded Ringneck. I had a somewhat lengthy chat with a very kind and indulgent vet on the very subject of microchipping an IRN. Remarkably, this vet did, herself, own an IRN. (What are the odds!) She felt confident about microchipping, and said it should be done in the breast under anesthesia.

I considered the same points raised here already - what good is a chip if nobody scans for it, or if the type of scanner used is not compatible with the chip? Also, I considered that the Ringneck is a very small creature, and the implanting would carry risk, as every surgery does. I further considered that a bird might not to strangers, might be uncatchable. My last consideration was that I feel fairly certain I would not willingly hand over my tiny Ringneck to have the physical equivalent of a medically unnecessary turkey timer jammed into his helpless body.

So I knew I would not be microchipping any Ringnecks, and I passed on that bird. Whatever bird I get, if I ever get one, will be closed banded.

With regard to recovery after theft, I feel thieves don't care about chips and they cut off bands. Don't know about you, but I never considered my bird might be hot when I bought him, so I never checked at all. Lojack WOULD be better, Skyes_crew! Heh!

Why don't you consider teaching your bird, like a small child, his address and phone number, or that of his vet?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

The vet we go to is recommends microchipping birds. He suggested we should. I believe he puts a plastic ring on to denote the bird is chipped.
I see you are in Australia, Melilot, but not what part. We use brisbane bird vet.

We don't want to put our bird through that, so we are very careful to have him restrained by a harness or a cage when we take him outside. Our bird is fully flighted, but even a clipped bird should be restrained outside as the combo of adrenalin pumping and air currents can give them extra powers of flight they don't have indoors.

Skyes_crew wrote: Wouldn't it be cool if birds were traceable by tracking devices? We could pull up NORAD and see all the runaways all over the world. Of course with the morons in our government they would mistake them for incoming missile threats :lol:
lol angry birds versus us army!
I was trying to teach Nila our phone number, but he is a bit inclined to improvise his words so it might not help!
I can't imagine anyone would steal Nila, they'd probably pay us to take him back after a week of living with him!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Further to molossus's comment. When we found an Alexandrine earlier this year whilst we were vacationing, we took him to a local veterinary clinic. They did a full medical check, tried to track down the owner and then rehomed him when they couldn't find the owner. The Alexandrine had a legband and I asked if that could be used to track down the breeder so that the breeder could help find the owner. The vet assistant claimed that it couldn't be used to do this. I then asked about whether he had a microchip. On my suggestion, she did check. He didn't have one, but she probably wouldn't have checked without me suggesting it.

Would the band be easier to use for identification in other parts of the world?

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

With a breeder band registry it could work Ellie. But it would require standard methods of banding and a universal database for registering all the bands. The problem is finding someone to get the project off the ground.

Melilott

Post by Melilott »

InTheAir wrote:The vet we go to is recommends microchipping birds. He suggested we should. I believe he puts a plastic ring on to denote the bird is chipped.
I see you are in Australia, Melilot, but not what part. We use brisbane bird vet.

We don't want to put our bird through that, so we are very careful to have him restrained by a harness or a cage when we take him outside. Our bird is fully flighted, but even a clipped bird should be restrained outside as the combo of adrenalin pumping and air currents can give them extra powers of flight they don't have indoors.
I'm in Ipswich so Brisbane Bird Vet wouldn't be too hard to get too. :) I don't really feel comfortable putting my bird through having a microchip implanted in him, but I'm glad I inquired about it on here! You've all given me a lot to think about. Wish the leg bands could be more informative!

The reason I asked about this, is that my partner and I will be moving in with his parents soon for awhile and they have a strict policy of birds being outside in cages during the day and can come in at night, and I was worried if during the days when everyone is at work if my new IRN might get stolen or let out of his cage by neighbors or something. They have a high fence and the birds will be out on the back patio but I'm paranoid since losing my dear cockateil earlier this year.

Hoping I can simply talk the family into letting him stay inside in his cage, near a window or something on days when everyone is out. I don;t even have my little feathered baby yet and I'm already very attached to him as you can see! :lol:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's a tricky situation. You could try padlocks on the doors of the cage I guess. ..
My main worry with leaving birds outside is that we have a lot of mynah birds and butcher birds that go for him when we have the cage outside, even when we are within metres of it.

I probably haven't done much to ease your fears, sorry.
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Im from Durban, and i know its down right impossible, even with a leg ring to trace the breeder. There is no "central" place to go to that has listings of the breeders and their numbers to contact them.

In theory :

A bird flies into your yard, and you catch it. It does have a leg ring. But where do you go from there?
The local avian vet doesnt keep a listing of all breeders, as we have so many little back door breeders who can purchase rings, but dont bother to keep records, they just ring the bird, so when potential buyers ask they can say yes it is rung. Rings at the same time are not easy to get hold of, so even if you try trace the manufacturer of the rings to try trace which breeder that particular batch was sold too, you cant. So where do you go from there?

Next problem, is even when a bird is rung and sold, not all owners take down the ring number... Adverts saying a bird is missing, and it has a leg ring, but then they cant tell you the ring number (i myself in the past bought a breeding pair that was close rung, and it only occured to me after i had to then sell them myself, that i had never take down the number in case they ever got out)...

So in my opinion its soooo hard, but wish there was a way, as so many people lose birds, or claim birds, and you can never know for sure who is being truthful....
MissK

Post by MissK »

Here in USA it's the same thing. I wanted to contact my bird's breeder so I could find out his actual birthday. I'm silly like that. His band carries the breeder's reference ID (T&M, I think) and notes it is from the state of Utah (UT) with an ID number, but precious little help it was. I couldn't find any record keeping body to help locate "T&M". My best bet, I was told, was to contact sellers of leg bands and see if "T&M" in Utah had an account with them. I didn't even try. If I held an account somewhere (on a popular Ringneck Forum, for example) I wouldn't want them to just give out my information to random interested parties, AND I would make a huge fuss if I found they did. So I don't expect there's any way for us to ever know the critical info of Rocky's Birthday. I'm just glad it was such a superficial thing we could not get.

With regards to caging outside every day - if I had to do this, I would ABSOLUTELY use a cage in a cage. The inner cage would keep the Ringneck in. The outter cage would keep predators and miscreants out. It should be too big for someone to carry off. It should be locked if you are concerned about theft, and then there's the tricky part of getting the bird out safely to go inside at night. You must provide shade. In assume cold is not a problem, but consider temperature overall. I would go one step further and provide a hiding area, maybe a box for the bird to enter when predators come around. A bird who is physically safe can still be frightened to death. If you can't fit a box into the cage you can always build it, disassemble it, and put the pieces in the cage, reassembling it on the inside.

Is there a friend near by who might consider boarding the bird? You could be the caregiver, just stop by daily to see the bird, see your friend, and do nice things for them all?
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We currently have a few programs like this. In the US

http://www.afabirds.org/exotic_bird_registry.shtml

We also have individual breeder societies such pionus and cockatiel and canary that maintain their own leg band registries. No such database exists for IRN's or any other asiatic parrots. With their popularity mounting, and thus the amount of feral colonies expanding, I believe it is imperative that some sort of program get off the ground soon.

Melika

Post by Melika »

I would consider microchipping if I kept my birds outside. Here in FL, if your bird is stolen, you have the right to ask the police to scan a bird you see that you believe to be yours. If it's microchipped, you can prove it's yours. That's the value of microchipping here- and bird theft in FL (actually even dog theft!) is not very unusual.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Hmm you've all given me a lot to think about. Ideally I'd rather not leave him outside for any period of time if no one is home. If we were home and he was just on the back patio in his cage that'd be ok, but if no one is there to watch him I would be paranoid all day at work and no doubt do a bad job. I'm thinking I just need to find some decent evidence that keeping him outside everyday is a bad idea and show it to my partner's parents and see if I can persuade them to understand.

Obviously I would clean up the mess every night but I'm not sure that will be enough to convince them.... might look into more ways to keep the bird area clean too.

Basically, as I've said, I've lost both my cat baby and my cockatiel baby this year and I am not keen to go through that again.

Now to find websites that support my case I guess ^^;;
MissK

Post by MissK »

You could tell them about my mom's canary. Once, she set one of her canaries in his cage on the table on our porch. Something came along and grabbed his tail. He lost his tail feathers, but fortunately not his life. We think it was a raccoon. If the animal had managed to grab the body of the bird, it could have dragged it to the side of the cage and bitten it around the bars. Remember licking the cake icing off the beaters when you were a kid? Where there's a will, there's a way.

And how about the recent thread on protecting your aviary birds from snakes?

Good luck. I have noticed that sometimes people don't value your pets like you do. It is hard to convince these people that the pet is really valuable, not in a monetary sense. They feel you can get a replacement if anything happens to the one you have. I hope you are not saddled with family like that.
-MissK
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Melilott, nobody else has asked yet so I will...if you don't have your bird yet (which you mention in one of your posts), is this the best time to get him? If you're moving in with the family for a while, I'm guessing you're on the verge of a major life change like buying or renovating a house, or something like that. If that's the case, you'll have lots of adjustments to make yourself and it might be easier to add a new family member to your flock once life has settled down. The first few weeks are an important time for you and your bird, and you want to be able to enjoy them with a minimum of stress.

I don't want to say not to get the bird - I can tell you're going to love him! - I'm just thinking back to when I got Bug, which was also at an unsettled time. It wasn't until life had normalised that Bug really seemed happy, so with hindsight it might have saved us all some trouble if I'd waited. Having said that, the reason I got Bug then was that I had just lost my quaker, and I just felt desperate for another bird...if that's your situation, I totally understand!
Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Jen&Bug wrote:Melilott, nobody else has asked yet so I will...if you don't have your bird yet (which you mention in one of your posts), is this the best time to get him? If you're moving in with the family for a while, I'm guessing you're on the verge of a major life change like buying or renovating a house, or something like that. If that's the case, you'll have lots of adjustments to make yourself and it might be easier to add a new family member to your flock once life has settled down. The first few weeks are an important time for you and your bird, and you want to be able to enjoy them with a minimum of stress.

I don't want to say not to get the bird - I can tell you're going to love him! - I'm just thinking back to when I got Bug, which was also at an unsettled time. It wasn't until life had normalised that Bug really seemed happy, so with hindsight it might have saved us all some trouble if I'd waited. Having said that, the reason I got Bug then was that I had just lost my quaker, and I just felt desperate for another bird...if that's your situation, I totally understand!
Hi there :)

Nono I completely understand what you're saying and I appreciate your thoughts. We aren't actually moving for around 3-4 months so whilst it will be a change I think he'll be somewhat used to me by then and will be ok with it. I will admit am a bit desperate for another feather baby after my losses this year so it feels like something I have to go through with. I suffer from anxiety and depression so having a loving animal around while my partner is a work is something I need to keep me sane me thinks. I only work a few days a week myself so being home alone (or with my partner's bird who mostly only loves him lol) makes things a little hard... Also, I've seen baby pics of what could potentially be my IRN and am totally in love with him already! lol :P

Don't worry, I would never purchase a bird if I was about to move in the next couple of weeks lol, but I'm glad you brought it up! It was a very fair point to make. :)

I'm thinking the best thing for me to do will be to sit down with my boyfriend's parents and see what we can compromise on. His mother is lovely and very kind so I'm sure I could get her on my side with the right evidence and persuasion haha.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to me on here! ^_^ <3
MissK

Post by MissK »

Am I understanding this correctly - you and your partner have a bird now, are planning to get a second, and then in 3-4 months time move in with the in-laws where birds must stay outside all day?

I, myself, would probably opt to wait on bringing the bird home, or else select a different pet that could be housed with the family all the time. I don't want to discount the need you feel, as I have some experience with some of what you describe. However, I do feel that having a pet and falling into a bit of a "life situation" is rather different from knowing ahead of time a "situation" will come and planning to subject the pet to it. We do have a steep responsibility to animals in our care, after all and, in my opinion, we should respect it.

If you must carry on with getting a new bird, I hope you will be able to construct a suitably protective containment situation. Your in-laws may have some ideas about what sort of structure they will or will not permit on their property. You should for the bird you already have, regardless, though I imagine you will have to do it twice to house two birds. As far as managing this outdoor environment, I think you would be wise to realistically plan out how you will get to interact with the pets. If you are able to spend large chunks of time outside with them, it may be fulfilling, but if you only bring the new bird in to sleep, I suspect you won't get the benefit you hope to achieve in keeping it.

I mention this because I have extensive experience managing outdoor pets, and I can tell you it requires a lot more time and work than keeping pets in the house with the family, *IF* you intend to be keeping pets and not simply warehousing livestock. It can be done, but you really have to consider all angles and make your plans well. There will be some surprises, regardless.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

MissK wrote:Am I understanding this correctly - you and your partner have a bird now, are planning to get a second, and then in 3-4 months time move in with the in-laws where birds must stay outside all day?

I, myself, would probably opt to wait on bringing the bird home, or else select a different pet that could be housed with the family all the time. I don't want to discount the need you feel, as I have some experience with some of what you describe. However, I do feel that having a pet and falling into a bit of a "life situation" is rather different from knowing ahead of time a "situation" will come and planning to subject the pet to it. We do have a steep responsibility to animals in our care, after all and, in my opinion, we should respect it.

If you must carry on with getting a new bird, I hope you will be able to construct a suitably protective containment situation. Your in-laws may have some ideas about what sort of structure they will or will not permit on their property. You should for the bird you already have, regardless, though I imagine you will have to do it twice to house two birds. As far as managing this outdoor environment, I think you would be wise to realistically plan out how you will get to interact with the pets. If you are able to spend large chunks of time outside with them, it may be fulfilling, but if you only bring the new bird in to sleep, I suspect you won't get the benefit you hope to achieve in keeping it.

I mention this because I have extensive experience managing outdoor pets, and I can tell you it requires a lot more time and work than keeping pets in the house with the family, *IF* you intend to be keeping pets and not simply warehousing livestock. It can be done, but you really have to consider all angles and make your plans well. There will be some surprises, regardless.
I don't think you understood correctly MissK:
Melilott wrote:my partner and I will be moving in with his parents soon for awhile and they have a strict policy of birds being outside in cages during the day and can come in at night
Melilott wrote:Basically, as I've said, I've lost both my cat baby and my cockatiel baby this year and I am not keen to go through that again.
Melilott is searching for a new FID and is trying to find a way to convince the people that birds inside during the day is alright.

Some questions for the OP though: What is the definition of 'outside' in this case? Can it be a screened porch or is the patio the only option? What is the definition of 'night'? For me it would mean that I would bring in the bird in the late afternoon/early evening and have plenty of time to spend together. Perhaps you could strike a deal and have an outside cage and an inside 'sleeping cage' (with a playtop :wink: ) and settle on a reasonable schedule of when the bird will be outside and inside. All the fun aside, why do they believe birds should be outside during the day? Perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.

I commend you for asking these questions now, before you get a IRN, which shows how responsible a pet owner you are. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I more than the average person understands the need to fill a void left by a lost pet. My husband bought me a dog for valentines day 2011. I fell in love with this dog immediately. He was my best friend. When he was 6 months old he started having spinal issues, trouble walking, pain constantly. He was in and out of the pet hospital constantly. One procedure after another. I watched my poor puppy wither away and finally said my last goodbye to him at only 9 months old. I went into a deep depression. My husband thought it would help me to get another dog. He brought home a new puppy. I couldn't even look at the new puppy. I didn't want to touch her or hug her or be anywhere near her. She wasn't my dog. She didn't act the same. So my husband tried another pet, and another, and another. Sadly I could not connect with, did not want to connect with any of them. So I had a house full of animals and all I was capable of was feeding them and meeting their basic needs. I eventually sought pet grief counseling. It helped me realize that nothing can replace the pet we have loved and lost. A new pet should be a separate entity completely. It shouldn't be, I bought another bird because my bird died. It should be, I bought a bird because I can offer him/her a great life. When you can separate the two, you are ready for a new pet. I can't tell you not to buy a new bird. Your personal living arrangements are yours and yours alone. But ask yourself if You are truly ready to offer a good life to another pet or are you just looking to fill a void? I wish you the best of luck with your move and your future :)

Melilott

Post by Melilott »

:oops: I feel like I may have upset a few people in my decision to buy another bird when I'm moving in a few months... sorry all <3

I assure you I asked on here to get the best advice possible and you guys have really helped me. I honestly appreciate it. I don't think it's the wrong decision to bring a new bird into my life though? I definitely have the time to spend with all our feather babies, I promise you that. My anxiety and depression keeps me from working for more than 15hrs a week at this stage, so my concern was more for them being forced to be outside in their cages on days when I'm not at home. If I was at home they'd probably be on the play gym beside my computer or on my shoulder all day until bedtime :D

I will definitely look up all the proof I can about why it's a bad idea to have them outside unattended and run it by my partner's parents. As I said I know his mother loves our current birds (Green cheek conure & cockatiel (who prefers not to be be handled)) and getting her on my side shouldn't be too hard, I will just do my best to keep the bird area tidy so they have no reason to complain.

I can totally see where you are all coming from in saying its a bad idea to get another bird tough, it does make sense and I appreciate that you care about the birds well being so much. ^_^ Shows you are dedicated and loving people.
Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Melika wrote:
Some questions for the OP though: What is the definition of 'outside' in this case? Can it be a screened porch or is the patio the only option? What is the definition of 'night'? For me it would mean that I would bring in the bird in the late afternoon/early evening and have plenty of time to spend together. Perhaps you could strike a deal and have an outside cage and an inside 'sleeping cage' (with a playtop :wink: ) and settle on a reasonable schedule of when the bird will be outside and inside. All the fun aside, why do they believe birds should be outside during the day? Perhaps we can help you troubleshoot.

I commend you for asking these questions now, before you get a IRN, which shows how responsible a pet owner you are. :)
Thanks so much ^_^ I wanted to be as prepared as humanly possible before bringing home my new baby... I've read around 10 different IRN books/detailed articles now to try and be prepared for anything! He's already got a strong cage with a playtop, ringneck suitable toys/perches and no mess food/water bowls & a bathing bowl lol He's very spoiled and I haven't even brought him home yet haha!

I think the 'outside' my partner's parents are thinking of will be on the back patio, very close to the house - like right next to the back door close. The cage I bought for my IRN is large and the bars are very strong/close together and door latches are tight and don't budge easily. I'm just paranoid is all. :P

Pretty sure with enough evidence/persuasion I can convince them that more time inside is good. That's my new aim anyways... ^_^
MissK

Post by MissK »

Melilott I don't think you upset anyone. You're considering the different aspects of how things may go living with the bird at the in-laws. This thread shows the development of your thinking from protection and recovery from loss to persuasive efforts to keep the birds in the house.

I also feel it would be a really good idea to pin down exactly what the in-laws mean. For instance, you forsee the bird in the house with you when you're home, but what they said was bird outside in the day and inside at night. I take the meaning of daytime as the time when the sun is out and night as the time when there is darkness. Melika interprets night as late afternoon/early evening. You need to know what they mean in order to form your argument and proceed with your project.

You might find that the in-laws feel birds must be outside all the daylight hours, or they might actually mean something more like outside when they are being messy or outside when they are being noisy or outside when they are unsupervised. It might turn out that one doesn't want birds at all and the other welcomes them, and the outside in the day part was their own compromise with each other. Once you know their motivation then you can address their concerns. You must be prepared to accept that they may simply not want birds in their house.

Melika, I think I did understand the "policy of birds being outside in cages during the day and can come in at night". If you reread my posts, you will find evidence of this. Regarding persuasive argument, I think I have already mentioned that one can point out the physical dangers to a bird outside. As well, I have noted the difficulty of managing an outdoor animal, and that the relationship with and benefit from the animal may be compromised by not keeping it inside. To those I might also add that the young bird will need to be socialized well, and for that to happen, it really should be with the family. Also, providing a suitably protective barrier around the cage may prove difficult or unsightly, and bird food outside may draw unwanted wild creatures such as insects and vermin.

It's true that I personally think Melilott should wait until the living situation is better for birds. It's my opinion. Everybody reading this thread will have an opinion.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

What I was trying to point out, MissK, is that while everyone can have an opinion, we have to acknowledge that there is no 'perfect' time to have a bird or a 'perfect' setup. The perfect setup for a bird is wild and free, not locked in a cage or house with only a few birds or humans for companions. We are all doing the best we can to provide our captive parrots with happy, long-lived lives and the best thing we can do is learn as much as we can. Then we/they can make truly informed decisions based on our knowledge, situation, needs, and wants. So when people come here to learn, we don't want to discourage them from asking questions- because we don't know anything about the people themselves, and to make assumptions can be discouraging for the OP, those replying, and anyone reading. I'm sure I've given opinions too, and I probably wasn't right to do so. This poster wants to learn, so teach, because our opinions, based on our own lives, don't really matter when someone else is making a decision about their own life. And I think we all know that- because who of us hasn't been told by someone "Well, in MY opinion you shouldn't..." and gone right out and done it anyway? :lol:

My birds have spent time outside, as I believe it's good to reconnect with nature, and I used to have an aviary as well. I had chickens also, which were definitely outside! We're building a coop now for chickens up here. The parent birds of Hane are, in good weather, moved outdoors almost every day. They aren't companion birds, but the chicks I later raised for the owners also spent the majority of their days outside. But there are dangers, of course, no one denies that. I find indoors to be equally dangerous, just different.

For outside, best thing to know is what predators (including human) you might have in your area. I've moved, so now I have new predators to worry about out here in the woods vs back in the city. Back then we had hawks, stray cats, raccoons, and possums chiefly. The chickens had adequate tree cover and places to hide from hawks and were mostly bigger than the cats and were locked up at night in the coop. My neighbor's quaker was likely killed by a possum or raccoon. Raccoons, especially, will grab whatever they can reach and pull birds bit by bit through the bars. :( I had a cockatiel eaten by a rat, which also killed a budgie, hence why I no longer have an aviary. But both of these instances happened at night, as these are normally nocturnal creatures anyway and the cages had bars that could be reached through/wiggled through. I didn't worry about theft because we had a secure, fenced in yard, with big dogs (which is also why cats weren't a problem!).

Currently I now have, in abundance, various birds of prey, foxes, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, snakes... technically bears and panthers too but we haven't seen one- yet. Human theft is a concern here- I'm even afraid to leave my dog out if I'm not home. As long as my bird is caged, I feel comfortable here leaving him outside when I am home during the day. My major concern is with a hawk terrorising him or something. Some parrots absolutely freak out, with lasting effects, if they see a hawk too close and can't hide. His indoor cage is in front of a window which I keep half curtained so he can 'hide' if he sees a scary bird. We'll be having to take extra precautions for the chickens.

So know your dangers. Prevent them. If you can't, well, I don't think you would bring a bird home to an unsafe environment since you're taking a proactive stand, instead of a reflexive one to begin with.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I didn't get that from your post. Good now to know what you meant.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm lucky enough here on the island to have no natural predators to my birds. We have no hawks or snakes or raccoons or opossums. I've heard of a few rats, but not many. We were told to keep guinea pigs under the suspended cages to control mice and rats. I have outdoor birds and I have indoor birds. I have padlocks on all of the outdoor aviaries. For one because I have very inquisitive neighborhood kids. For two because because I fear the birds learning how to open their cage doors. If its animals and predators that you worry about when you are at work, I know I have seen others from Australia that put up a mesh surrounding the cage that is supposedly snake proof and I would imagine because the holes are so tiny any large predator birds would not be able to get to your birds either. There is a member on the forum...sheyd...ask her how she protects her outdoor aviaries. She is from Australia. Hope that helps. :)

Melilott

Post by Melilott »

I'll have to talk to my inlaws and let you know what their exact policy is. We have lived with them in the past though and whilst we only had our two cockatiels at the time; when we were home we had them out of the cage inside all the time and it was ok. Their cage was outside but close to the back sliding glass door and on a patio under cover. Though sometimes the cages were inside for months at a time too without a complaint lol.

We have also taken the birds over for visits and had them inside. This whole thing is just a fear I have since talking to them recently, when they said outside during the day. However I know they just mean cages outside during the day, so if I was home the birds themselves would be inside with me. As I've said though I know his mother loves them, she kisses the birds and talks to them all the time. It's just my bf's dad who is all about mess and noise and the like - but the worst he's done is tell the birds to "shh" if they scream :lol: which is a little amusing really, the birds look at him like "....what? You realize that won't stop us right? Is this guy for real?"

It's ok though; they are both lovely people and they like me so I'm sure with the right discussion I can convince them its ok. I'm looking into those material things you can put round the bottoms of the cages to catch the mess, and I've been teaching our Green Cheek Conure that "shh" means no screaming. It's working so far so I'm sure everything will be ok. I just get paranoid with my anxiety is all.

Oh, and I forgot to mention they plan to get that snake fencing stuff put up around the high back fences to prevent snakes, and they have a boxer dog who should prevent cats from coming in the yard. She's a big sook though lol. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Just something else to consider whilst we are considering the possibilities... Your ringneck may not get along with your other birds and you may not want to have him/her out of the cage at the same time. And, have you considered an incubation period? It is generally accepted that new birds should have an incubation period (It's been a while since I've had a new bird, I can't remember how long the suggested period is) in case they are carrying a disease which could spread to your other birds.

Regarding the boxer, would he be able to get near the cages. I know you know him well enough that are not worried about him attacking the birds but some birds feel uneasy around dogs and that is something to consider also, a new bird in new surroundings may feel even more so.

... and I think what you are saying about discussing thoroughly with your in-laws is a good idea. If it were me I would be reluctant to get a new pet whilst living with them but I'm envisaging me living at my in-laws place... I don't know you or your in-laws and I'm sure your situation is different to mine.

Sorry if my post sounds way negative. Well done for thinking it all through. Some of the best things in our lives spring from impractical situations. Let us know what you decide and if you need any assistance with your new little guy.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Good point Ellie. It's usually 30 days quarantine.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey.
I don't want to discourage you from getting an irn, I think they are the best birds ever. I just want to warn you they can be very noisy, not even when they are screaming, just talking and babbling away in bird speak. It may be worth considering with regards to your father in laws sanity!
Our little angel sometimes likes to shout phrases over and over, it may be because my boyfriend and I are noisy too. His contact call is pretty deafening and some days he uses it to converse with every single rainbow lorikeet that flies past the window. Other days he ignores them. lol
A lot of the time he is pretty quiet, but when he feels like being loud he makes up for all the days of peace we get!
If a young bird gets a response, even ssshh, when it is being noisy it will take that as encouragement. It might be a bit challenging to have to modify your fils behaviour in his own home....

Our neighbours, not next door the house after them, have an irn that they put on their verandah when it is noisy and we hear it from inside our house.
Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Thanks for the replies :3 you're posts aren't negative, you all want whats best for the bird and for me so honestly you are all very sweet and caring! I really appreciate it. <3

I am aware that you should quarantine birds before introducing them to other birds so that's no trouble, we have done this in the past. We have plenty of time to do that too since we won't be moving for around 3-4 months or so. :)

As for the boxer, she's a big baby and has never shown signs of wanting to harm the birds we have now (in fact when they are out of the cage she is terrified of them), but we would never leave the two of them alone together for obvious reasons. As for her getting to the cages, they are on high stands to they will be safe from her I promise you that. We have 3 dogs where I'm living now (my parents house), and while they live outside, when they do get inside for whatever reason (this is rare) they have never been able to get to the birds either. We're very cautious. ^_^

After reading several books on ringnecks I know they can be very noisy indeed, I have already mentioned this to the inlaws and said that sadly this cannot be controlled (as we all know birds enjoy screaming in the morning and evening as they would do in the wild). The inlaws are aware of this fact and are still perfectly ok with the birds living in the same place as them so I'm guessing they have come to terms with that. If not, they house layout will be quite large so if it came to shutting off the bird's night room from the rest of the house to screen the noise out a little then I will do that.

I feel like I haven't been as clear as I could be on everything, describing has never been a strong point of mine haha, but I don't want to give you guys the wrong impression. I will love my IRN dearly and he will be well looked after I assure you, it just might some adjustments in the new house is all. I'm just being anxious and paranoid about everything, since it's just in my nature to be that way. I just hope I haven't given anyone the wrong impression about my ability to be a loving/caring bird owner... ^^;;
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Quite the opposite Melliott...you wouldn't be obsessing so much if you didn't care so much. I for one admire that tremendously :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sure you're a great parront.
Myself, I always like to look at worst case seniorios.... It generally makes things seem like a pleasant surprise when they actually work out :D
Melilott

Post by Melilott »

Thanks so much for saying so, Skye & InTheAir. I try my best to be the best owner I can be. ^_^ <3

I was just concerned my anxiety might be giving off the wrong impression is all. I really do appreciate all the advice I've been given through here though! You guys are great. :D
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm a worry wart too! We were going to try to replace our last housemate, but I decided that it would be to risky and inconvenient since we have a flighted parrot ruling the house. I just wish the bird would chip in for rent sometimes! :wink: