aviary

Moderator: Mods

rayhan

aviary

Post by rayhan »

hello im building an aviary, i got plans and all ready to build but i just want ideas on gravity feeders and what i should put on the floor
rayhan

Re: aviary

Post by rayhan »

no ones replyed on this but i really need help
Melika

Post by Melika »

I personally never liked gravity feeders because they make me lazy. They also attract rodents at night (and sometimes during the day) if the birds are going to be outside.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

ok what should i place on the floor, i dont want to put newspaper outside because id need like 100
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

but the avairy is outdoors, the gravity feeders will keep the food fresh for longer
MissK

Post by MissK »

Every bird should be attentively tended every day.

I keep five birds and daily I wash and refill feed bowls, kebab skewers, bath tubs, and water tubes. Cages with grates have papers changed several times a week and, for cages without grates, papers are changed daily. The wire of the cages is cleaned as needed or weekly, whichever comes first. Plastic pans under the papers are washed weekly. Toys and cage furnishings are cleaned as needed.

I consider my practices to be the minimum acceptable. I think you can use a gravity feeder if you must, but it should be emptied, washed, and refilled with fresh daily. I realize that is counter to the intended purposed, but how else would you ensure the feed is uncontaminated and flows freely, not to mention how you might monitor the birds' intake.

Please bear in mind that everything captive birds have in life comes from our hands. If any circumstance is not good enough they cannot just go and find something better. They are stuck with what we give them, good or bad.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My outside birds get fresh food and water daily. I clean up after them daily.

I have 9 inside pet birds. They get clean bowls, fresh food, and clean water daily. I use corn cob to line the cages and sift it every day.

It's called being responsible.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm not sure what to put on the floors to the cages. Are they outside or in, do you have wire bottoms or not? If they have wire bottoms, you probably don't need to put anything on the floor. Many people do a suspended aviary, that way you don't have to worry about organisms in the ground/dirt either. Some people have concrete flooring, and just wash it off.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay