leg/foot problems

Moderator: Mods

cavedweller

leg/foot problems

Post by cavedweller »

We have a 13 yr old indian ringneck that has been healthy through his life. Recently (last couple of months) we noticed that he had occasion to have difficulty walking, climbing, standing, and gripping with one of his legs. We did a cursory examination and could not identify any swelling discoloration, etc.

We took him to the vet who has some limited experience with exotics and determined that it is likely diet. Too much protein and seed. Our bird does prefer seed, but we also give him fruits and vegatables as well. He really likes corn, and will have some cheese, chicken and eggs when we make them. We altered his diet for a few weeks with limited success, and noticed no marked improvement.

In fact, we were able to observe that it wasn't one specific leg, but both were exhibiting this lameness at different times. Every couple of days, we noticed that one leg would go completely lame and he would need to hold it out straight behind him while clutching his claw together. It was like there was no responsiveness in it. Typically, within about 10 minutes he would get his circulation back and could use that leg to stand and perch with limited grip.

We decided to take him to an animal hospital. The new exotic bird vet recognized he was slightly underweight (probably from our dietary changes ~104g) and that he had a slight respiratory infection. We are administering antibiotics for that, but I don't think it is related to his feet condition. The vet suggested that if he doesn't get better we would run some blood work.

Has anyone experienced this, or similar? We have researched gout, bumblefoot, etc... but none of these seem quite right. He appears healthy, otherwise. Struggling to find answers- any feedback is appreciated.
MissK

Re: leg/foot problems

Post by MissK »

Hi. Just some thoughts off the top of my head -

Make sure he's getting his vitamins - red/orange/yellow fresh foods and dark green leaves.
Make sure he has a variety of perch diameters AND that the perches are not so hard they're hurting him.
I know he's young (are you sure of the age?) but could he have some arthritis?
Is it possible he's getting cramps? Knowledgeable people?

Keep us posted!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sounds like your vet may have been thinking articular gout. It also affects the wings as molossus has pointed out. It can affect the spine too. It is causeed by too much protein in the diet. It may be a good idea to offer a flat perching area for him for now. If it is gout, it can be controlled with a low protein diet. But you should get blood work done ASAP and have them check your birds Uric acid levels. The first phase is articular and the second is visceral and much more difficult to control and often fatal.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

thanks for the comments. He is going back to the doctor so we can schedule some blood work after this week. The hospital vet was surprised we even mentioned gout to him as he said he hasn't come across this in birds very often, but wouldn't rule it out. He also thought arthritis may be a possibility. Since he is on antibiotics for his respiratory infection, he told us to give the medication 5 days and see if there is an improvement.

He is 13 years old, but we know they can live to around 40. We have had him from when he was just a baby. His flight is good (prior to wings being trimmed). Right now, even if he had his full wings, I don't think he would have the confidence to attempt it. We noticed that when he is feeling a little better, he is starting to feel around his leg band and toes with his beak. It's almost like he is trying to figure out why his feet are so unresponsive some times. I wonder if it is a circulation issue, and if he is getting something like pins and needles feeling.

We hope that we can find the root cause to help correct the problem. If it is in fact diet, we will need to take more aggressive dietary changes for him.We have been trying to get him to eat Harrison's pellets, but he is stubborn about his preferences.

Please continue to provide any feedback or suggestions if anyone has any.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Stop giving the cheese, chicken, and eggs, until you've ironed this out. Actually, iron, that reminds me, sometimes that goes with gout. Check into hemochomatosis, aka iron storage disease, which has paralysis/weakness as symptoms. I wouldn't say it's too much seed if he is getting lots of veggies as well. Seed isn't bad. Seed ONLY is bad. :)

On a side note, I wonder why the vet thinks gout is rare? I was under the impression it was more common than that. One of the first times I heard about gout in the modern day was in birds. It was a study showing the benefit of tart cherry juice for gout in budgies.

Also, corn is a grain, not a vegetable.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
cavedweller

Post by cavedweller »

The leg problem turned out to have nothing to do with diet, environment, etc. that worried us so much. We returned to the animal hospital after a week of administering antibiotics for his respiratory problem. I woke up at 3AM to check on him (not sure what got me up, but I went to check on him immediately). He was awake under the blanket in his cage, but not looking too comfortable. I spent the rest of the early morning hours with him. We called the hospital and took him in that morning.

Right away, they gave him oxygen and decided they wanted to keep him under observation a couple days. We agreed and before we left the vet extracted a vial of fluid from his abdomen to show us there was a reason for concern beyond the breathing problem.

A few hours later, we got the call; he passed on. As heartbreaking as it was, we decided to pay for the necropsy to see what underlying factors caused this tragedy. A few hours later the doctor called us and found a 10cm growth near/on his kidney. This was likely a cancerous tumor and the cause of his quick degradation. There was nothing we could do, and even if we had caught it early, the doctor told us that it would have been low probability of success to execute an operation. The tumor was causing the lameness in his legs since it was pressing on his nerves. His respiratory problem was because the tumor was restricting his air sacks. On the ride to the hospital (45 min) that day he sat in my hands peacefully the whole way without squirming. It was like he understood.

Folks, this was a genetic thing and just the way the cards are sometimes dealt. God knows why our sweetheart was taken but we think of him and greatly miss him every day. I hope he felt little to no pain and he passed on to a better place. He was the dearest bird and smartest I have ever known. I felt I could communicate with him on so many levels. He never showed us his pain and tried to hide any unusual characteristics from us. He was a true gladiator; his name was Maximus.

God bless his soul.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sorry for your loss.

Regards,
Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I am so sorry. It always amazes me how animals, that scientists claim can't understand the emotional aspects of life and death, still somehow know how to comfort us before they pass on. As if to say its ok, I'll be better where I'm going. I know your precious boy is flying free over the rainbow bridge. You'll see him again one day. Till then keep his memory alive and post a little something for him in the rainbow bridge section. God bless.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

ugh. I just read this thread today. Right from the beginning I was thinking tumor. Darn it.
So sorry for your loss. He doesn't have any pain now. May your memories be sweet.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Sorry for your loss. A gladiator indeed.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay