Indian Ringneck Size?

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

Indian Ringneck Size?

Post by JoeysMom »

I know that Joey is still a baby. But she seems kind of tiny. I know that she should be at or near her full size by now (four months old). She weighs about 100 grams. I don't really have a good size comparison. I just always thought that she would be a bit bigger than my quaker (body size, not including tail).

What do you guys think. (I might very well be crazy, or just have a large quaker).

Oh, another curiosity. Are females bigger or smaller than males?
-Joey's Mom
sanjays mummi

Re: Indian Ringneck Size?

Post by sanjays mummi »

Someone told me Sanjay was full size at 9 months, Wrong!, he has only recently stopped growing,
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky's full size, and still I think he is small. Random thoughts include --
Isn't the Quaker a bird of heavier build, stockier? Ranechild?
Many birds might be a secret hybrid.

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila has weighed about 98g since 4 months old. He is very small though.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Thank you for the input. I kept reading articles stating that the average ringneck was about 120 grams. I guess I was just worried that Joey was really tiny. And Sammy, my quaker would be on the larger size of quakers, I guess. Sam weighs about 140 grams. Quaker parrots are pretty stocky birds.

Now I know that she is pretty average, and may continue to do some growing! :D

Here is a picture from a couple weeks ago. Joey is about the same size now as in the photo. I thought I would share my baby with you. (Hopefully the image shows)

-Joey's Mom
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

What a little cutie! The crab toy is cute too.

When Bug was last weighted, he was just over 125 grams, and was diplomatically described by the vet as a 'quite a lot of bird'. I don't know exactly when he stopped growing, but I'm sure it would have been much later than 4 months.

I used to have a male quaker who would have been about Bug's weight, but differently proportioned and definitely stockier.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Jen&Bug: Thank you for the input. The body types of the two birds are so different, it really is hard to compare them. That crab is one of Joey's favorite toys. She took a liking to it right away. When she rests she snuggles up between the crabs two claws. It is adorable! :lol:
-Joey's Mom
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Last time we had our QP Camo to the vet, he weighed in at 104. But we know he is on the small side for a quaker. And he's flighted--so he's fit as a fiddle. 140g QP sounds like he's pretty big!
Fats, the IRN is taller than Camo, and a little heavier. Even though he's only just less than 5 months old, he's still big enough to pick on Camo. Camo shys away from him. But all in all they aren't that different in size.

I can see how you could have a big QP next to a smaller IRN and they would be the same weight.
Don't count your IRN out for growth yet :)