How fast does a parrot fly?

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

How fast does a parrot fly?

Post by InTheAir »

Heyo,
I spent ages googling variations on this and haven't found a conclusive answer. Any ideas? I found approximate km/h for other types of birds, but not parrots.
I was thinking about it while matching the speed of some rainbow lorikeets in my car this morning. They were going near 30kms by my speedometer.
I'm also interested in acceleration from standing, I'm sure his birdiness can get to top speed in about the time it takes me to say "go".

- Claire
Skyes_crew

Re: How fast does a parrot fly?

Post by Skyes_crew »

I know it's faster than I can run...that's for sure :D

Depends on the parrot you're talking about.
Macaws for instance can range from 14-18mph for a military macaw to 27-30mph for a blue and gold macaw.

Some cockatoos like the galahs can fly up to 43mph

Amazons come in around 30mph
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol! A lot faster. When we race Nila around the house he always wins, even when we cheat by going down the hallway and halving the distance!
Come on, you must have some idea? I even read half a study on the potential for collisions on swift parrots with wind turbines, only to find the only to find out the only reference to speed was something along the lines of that they are fast flying. I could've told you that by the name :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That means I have to do actual math....blah. Ok, I'll do it tomorrow. It's just about midnight here Friday. I'm off to bed. Ill have an approximate answer tomorrow :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm interested in nila sized birds, of course.
If I can hit the stop watch quick enough and measure one of nilas on command flight paths I guess I would get an idea, but it will take coordination and math! I'm not sure I have either of those resources. I was hoping there is an easier answer...
Thanks and goodnight
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Is he carrying a coconut?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I tried to figure out the formula...really I did. I am stumped lol. You have to figure out for bounding flight using mass X wing load. It's the variables that stumped me because most studies and variables take into consideration wind speed and flapping vs. gliding...not a living room using bursting speed. I'm still trying...I haven't given up totally. I have a friend who knows phylogenetics. I'm trying to reach him. Give me a bit more time please :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I probably should have added I'm mostly just interested in how approximately how fast the monster can get to around the living room lol
I look forward to hearing the scientific answer though
Melika

Post by Melika »

ranechild wrote:Is he carrying a coconut?
An African parrot maybe, but not a European parrot.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay