Shipping

Moderator: Mods

Kaifyre

Shipping

Post by Kaifyre »

I have several snakes and in that hobby shipping snakes via FedEx is fairly common. Does this apply to birds as well? I assume shipping birds is not quite as easy as shipping snakes, if it is done at all. I only ask because I live in Montana, and there are exactly 4 bird breeders within a 250 mile radius of me, so in the event I am unable to drive to pick the bird up, I may have to have a plan B. If shipping birds is done, do people use FedEx or some specialized animal shipper? Thanks for helping this ringneck newbie!
-- Kaifyre
Skyes_crew

Re: Shipping

Post by Skyes_crew »

Birds should not be shipped that way. The only shipping method I've heard of is through an airline. Delta has a good shipping rate for birds. I believe it's $90.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Kaifyre

Post by Kaifyre »

Somehow, someone telling me that shipping birds via FedEx is a bad idea is not surprising. As to the Delta method, do people generally agree that this way is safe for the birds? I know flying with one's dog is generally not advised, as a large number of dogs die every year from suffocation or heart attacks from the stress.

-- Kaifyre
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I fly with my dogs all the time. The problem with dogs dying is due to people not listening to vet suggestions and airline restrictions. Snub nose dogs should not fly in high heat conditions and older dogs should not fly without a perfect health exam. Delta is one of my preferred methods of traveling with animals. I would not, however, have a bird shipped this time of year. It's too hot. Early in breeding season is fine. Around March or April. Or if you want an older IRN, wait until the fall. My friend who is a breeder has birds shipped back and forth from Cali to Hawaii all the time. Some of his best breeders are on loan to a breeder in Cali at this time. There is always risk associated with any type of travel for an animal. You just have to ask yourself if the benefits outweigh the risks.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Kaifyre

Post by Kaifyre »

I see .... Just didn't know if shipping birds was frowned upon or not. This opens up my area a little bit - but if I do end up shipping I definitely think I will take your advice. Summer shipping isn't even recommended for snakes, I shudder to think what would happen to a bird.

-- Kaifyre
MissK

Post by MissK »

My two cents are that I would not be party to shipping a bird unless the bird were to be caged on the seat next to the caregiver at pretty much all times. Even then I would be circumspect and would need to be extremely motivated.

-MissK
-MissK