Teflon question

Moderator: Mods

Kaifyre

Teflon question

Post by Kaifyre »

Hello all, I don't have a ringneck yet but I am thinking about getting one ... trying to get most of my questions answered before I commit : )
I know Teflon is a big no-no for birds .... from my reading I can surmise it is the fumes? Or would the bird have to chew on it? I make a lot of stir-frys in a large nonstick wok. The kitchen is about 30 feet away from the area I would be putting the bird's cage ... is this far enough away, or would it be better not to use it? Would opening windows help? This would mean no stir-frys during the winter ... we live in eastern Montana and it gets about 40 below in January and February, lol! Are the fumes only a problem with new nonstick pans, or will it always be harmful to the bird no matter how many times the pan has been used? Would using a vent fan above the oven help?
Thanks for the help guys! I'm hoping I'll be able to bring home a feathered friend sometime soon. I've always wanted either a macaw or a ringneck, and since I'm a first-time bird owner I doubt a macaw would be appropriate. : )

-- Kaifyre
ellieelectrons

Re: Teflon question

Post by ellieelectrons »

I suggest you read this:
http://www.tefal.com.au/tefal/Consumer_ ... C5AB%7d#q6

(Question 6)

Whilst it can be difficult getting reliable information on the Internet, if a company that is in its best interests to say it is completely safe says that it can be harmful for birds then I believe it.

We got new stainless steel frying pans when we got our birds. I find cleaning them with baking soda and vinegar works well - put it straight on the pan when you are done cooking. We got the most fantastic Teflon fry pan for Christmas last year so we returned it to the store and got something else.

We also try to ventilate well when we cook, just in case and we stopped using cooking spray aerosols.

Ellie.
Kaifyre

Post by Kaifyre »

Ah. I kinda figured that would be the case. Investing in non-nonstick pans will be a must, then. This makes me sad - I'd finally found a lovely wok that food slid off of like it was buttered, lol! As far as the aerosol goes, if I use hair spray and then the bird nibbles on my hair, will that hurt him/her? If I keep the vent fan on and/or a window open while I'm using something like Pam, will that be sufficient? Thanks for your help Ellie! : )

-- Kaifyre
Kaifyre

Post by Kaifyre »

Sigh. I must have missed your last sentence about not using cooking aerosols, Ellie. Whoops!
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

You could buy a new wok that is not coated. You do not need to stop using a wok. You maybe able to even have the coating removed from your wok by sandblasting.
What you would need to do is make sure when you have finished cooking with it, is wash, scrub, whatever. Rinse and put back on the heat to heat it, then wipe with oil. This will will pull the oil into the open pores of the metal and stop things sticking next time you use it.

Teflon is said to kill birds very quickly and it does not have to be that hot to give off deadly fumes.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Welcome to good ole fashioned cast iron..... Read up on it before you buy.

-MissK
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

MissK wrote:Welcome to good ole fashioned cast iron..... Read up on it before you buy.

-MissK
I'm with you on this one.
I have two decent cast iron fry pans myself and nothing ever sticks. But I would not scrub mine, just use a paper towel to wipe out. Or if I did scrub I would then treat the same way. Stainless was always a pain.
I have had a few wingers complaining they are to heavy! But I like them as they spread the heat well over the whole pan.
But Woks are thin tin.
Kaifyre

Post by Kaifyre »

Thanks for the help guys! Exchanging my nonstick stuff for non-nonstick stuff won't be a huge problem, I think. I'm just glad I asked - I would have thought that having the bird a distance from the kitchen and turning on a vent fan would have been enough! It would break my heart to kill my bird simply because I didn't ask enough questions.

-- Kaifyre
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm not sure how risky it is - I'm just not prepared to take the chance with my birds.

Ellie.
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

I cannot remember the details I have read. But I know of at least one case where the whole lot were dead inside 20mins. And they were not in the same room as the cook ware.
And another where the birds were not in the same room and they were showing bad signs of being effected, and this was assumed to be from the Teflon.
You maybe right and if far enough away and in a well ventilated area they maybe Ok.
Is it worth the risk? No!