Baby Indian Ringneck and My Trip

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

Baby Indian Ringneck and My Trip

Post by JoeysMom »

Hi everyone,

I have a question that maybe some of you can help me with. I have a baby ringneck, Joey. Joey is about ten weeks old and I have had him for a little over a month. I have to go on a trip for work that will last about four days. My birds (I also have a quaker parrot and four budgies) will be staying with my mom (they all love her). I am worried that Joey will forget about me, or possibly lose the bond that we have made over the past four weeks. I love this little baby, I don't want him to think I am a stranger when I come back to the house. I have left my other birds before, but never at this young of age. Maybe I am just over thinking this, but it has me worried. I wish I did not have to take the trip, but its not really an option.

I appreciate any comments or advice that you have!

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom
clawnz

Re: Baby Indian Ringneck and My Trip

Post by clawnz »

If you have to go you have to go!

It is a bad time to be leaving him.
But you could always phone and talk to him on the phone, so that he knows your voice.
Not sure what else you can do.
I do feel it could impact om him at least a little bit. And you will have to work hard when you get back just that bit harder. It is doable.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think it will be okay. I find that whenever I've brought my guys home from being cared for by someone else (even when they were young), it takes 1-2 days to get "back to normal" and then they are fine. Their ability to remember things is quite good.

At such a young age, your relationship with your bird has lots of twists and turns to take yet, so I wouldn't worry. The most important thing is that your baby is well cared for, and it sounds like he will be.

I'm sure you'll miss them, but they'll be okay.

Ellie.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Thank you both for your advice! I am definitely going to miss my babies while I am gone. I feel a bit better now!
-Joey's Mom
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

See if you can maybe place a t-shirt worn by you in the cage while you are gone. And maybe leave a recording of your voice. They make bird toys that you can record your voice to. 10 weeks is a critical turning point for an IRN. You want to leave him familiar with you so when you come back he transitions easier. And of course spoil him like crazy :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Further to wait Skye is saying there... make sure he has things from home that he's comfortable with (eg. his normal toys). When my birds go on holidays I also make sure they have their regular cage cover that they use at home at night time.

Ellie.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely make sure that Joey has a way to hear my voice. I know I will calling my birds so they can hear me and talk to me. I never thought of including a clothing item in the cage with Joey. It is a good idea, maybe I will give it a try. I know I am going to miss my babies, but I know they will be well taken care of.

Thank you!

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I just thought I would tell you all that I got home from my trip today. It really was like I never left (except for missing them daily). I talked to my babies over the phone, and had my mom snuggle with Joey at night just like I do (with his blanket that I normally use). Tonight Joey resumed his usual nightly snuggle position with me (laying mostly on my face, lol). They were all happy to see me and thrilled I bought them corn from the grocery store before I got home! Thank you for giving me the tips for making Joey comfortable while I was away!

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Glad to hear it went well.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's great!! Never hurts to bribe them with favorites lol :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D