parrot surgeon - warning this is a bit gross

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

parrot surgeon - warning this is a bit gross

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

Yesterday morning I did my usual weekend routine of putting Nele in the bedroom with Dave, so they can sleep in while I'm at work. Usually Nele just settles down on Dave and sleeps until he deems it time to get up. Yesterday Nele discovered that Dave had a small warty thing on his knuckle and set to work removing it. Dave woke up to find a blood splattered ringneck, and a small, precise hole in his finger where there used to be a wart.
Nele doesn't seem to have developed a taste for human flesh, he just doesn't like bits that aren't right (he also tries to tidy up callouses, but not to the level that it draws blood).

It reminded us of a story one of my friends told us of his dads parrot. My friend doesn't know what type of parrot it is, thinks it's an Amazon. Anyway, his dad was diagnosed with 2 skin cancers on his ear, booked in to have them removed when his parrot showed an interest in them and started nibbling. The dad decided to leave the parrot to it, and when he revisited the doctor he was told the parrot had done a perfect job of it, and no further work was required.
Kind of gross, but interesting. Personally, I wouldn't trust Neles sterilisation techniques enough to let him operate on me! I've seen how he cleans that beak!

Amazingly, Daves finger is healing well and infection free. We are taking bets on whether the wart will come back or not.
Dave admitted to me today that he had a funny lump on his ear he was planning to go to the Dr about, but Nele removed it a few months ago and it has healed normally..

And I no longer kiss the bird ;p
Skyes_crew

Re: parrot surgeon - warning this is a bit gross

Post by Skyes_crew »

Gross...but intriguing at the same time lol. Nele is branching out into medicine :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

How did he sleep through that!!
My QP like to eat zits and moles and callouses and hangnails and scabs...
He chewed off a mole on my arm over a couple of sessions... one bite at it while I wasn't looking, ouch, no biting-back in your cage. Next day the same thing.

I do have to make sure it doesn't get infected. He used to bite me alot before we were well acquainted. those would almost always get infected. A little Neosporin will help.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Yeah I woke up during surgery, by my calculations it must have been the second or 3rd bite! I had already knocked it at work during the week so one side of it was dislodged a little so he must have got under it pretty well...

Claire thinks he put me under hypnosis by chanting "what doing what doing what doing" over and over while i was in REM lol
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Just a follow up to this...

The wart has NOT returned! It's official, he's a surgeon!!!