IRN gets cold at night

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

IRN gets cold at night

Post by jmlw7 »

Hi all! So our 8.5 old IRN, Remy just got a huge new cage and we were wondering if IRN's generally like fleece snuggly things? Remy isnt very snuggly, but he does get cold at night. He shivers every time the air conditioner comes on (because he hears it, not because it blows on him), and we are starting to feel bad that we keep temperatures around 68-70 degrees at night. I know they are adaptable to temperatures and everything, but would a tent or snuggle thing help him keep warm? Or would it be a waste of money? Is it worth a try?

Here are a couple of options we are looking to try. If anyone has any other suggestions of something "warm" to put in his cage, please let us know. I would be too worried about the heated perches, so I wont buy those...

1. - Tent doesnt promote breeding behavior so could this work? http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/HUTS_TEN ... tions.html

2. - Or something simpler like this that he can sit next to when he is cold? http://www.aviananticsbirdtoys.com/product/fleecesnug

3. - Or something more like a blanket that ties to the side of the cage? http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/HUTS_TEN ... Small.html

We really are clueless to which would be most effective. He isnt much of a fan of moving unstable "swinging" things, but I cant say he wouldnt use the 1st one because I havent really seen him swing at all. Unless we can stabilize it?

The 2nd one looks to be the easiest since we can move it around and wont take up much space and he can preen it... but the 3rd one looks simple, but may seem big and scary.

Any suggestions on which we should try or ideas for something better? Thanks!!
MissK

Re: IRN gets cold at night

Post by MissK »

Remy has all his feathers, yes? And the vent is not right by the cage? Cover the cage. A towel draped over the cage around the sleeping perch will stop a draft. Unless you're getting on your fleece jammies from the cold he should be OK.

I say this, but I am guilty my own self, this very day, of putting on the heat because the old canary was fluffed up on his swing. It was 67 degrees F. :oops:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I worry endlessly over this lol. You guys aren't the only ones. If they fluff up even once I'm making it warmer in the house. We keep it around 72-74 at night, but I still cover them all in a fleece blanket. They tend to perch near the top of the cage so I assume they snuggle up near the side. I've tried the tents with my IRN's...they can't stand them. My sun loves them. She has two. We call one her hidey hut and one her vacation home lol. I did see one of those corner fleece hammocks I was going to try. Most of the time I buy the stuff, they hate it, and it winds up in the sun's cage :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think our birds are more hardy then we think, I have read about a huge feral population of ringnecks in/around London that breeds successfully...
But that doesn't stop me worrying about the little munchkin on these cool subtropical autumn nights... I made him a heavy cage cover, and he seems to be surviving so far though.

I can't imagine a ringneck in a happyhut, but if you do get one watch for any signs of him chewing it, that can lead to some frightful medical complications.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Ringnecks will survive even in snowy regions quiet fine.
The main thing that one needs to worry about is Cold Wind, that's what can get them, wind straight through the feathers.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Um, Skye........ You live in *Hawaii*. It's not too cold.

:wink:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey...it can get down to the mid 50's at night in the winter :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh, my sides! Stop! Stop!
:lol:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

:mrgreen:

No really, it's the AC I worry about. I get cold if its below 76 in the house, but my family likes it at 72.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I get it. :lol:

Hey, read my post I just made. I want the thinkers on this!

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:I worry endlessly over this lol. You guys aren't the only ones. If they fluff up even once I'm making it warmer in the house. We keep it around 72-74 at night, but I still cover them all in a fleece blanket. They tend to perch near the top of the cage so I assume they snuggle up near the side. I've tried the tents with my IRN's...they can't stand them. My sun loves them. She has two. We call one her hidey hut and one her vacation home lol. I did see one of those corner fleece hammocks I was going to try. Most of the time I buy the stuff, they hate it, and it winds up in the sun's cage :)
I purchased one of those birdie binkie things. We will see what happens when Remy gets it in the cage... if anything, it can be a preening toy. We dont cover the cage - per MissK's advice, we were thinking of that but Remy does this weird head bobbing circle thing and clings to the side of the cage when we try to cover it. Once we took the cover off, he went to his perch and went to sleep. So covers arent an option yet. The birdie binkie thing wont stop any coldness from reaching him, but at least it will give him something to snuggle up to. http://www.birdiebinkies.com/ who knows though, he may hate it.

I have been trying to change his toys around every few days so he doesnt get bored or territorial.. usually it goes well and he goes to sleep on a perch, but last night has clung to the side of his cage. I checked on him late at night and took him off the cage wall and put him on a perch. Who knows if he stayed there. We'll see if he likes it!
MissK

Post by MissK »

You know, if you want to cover the cage, you can probably desensitize him to the cover in very slow steps. Just cover a little of the side, down low, and inch it up over time till you have covered the cage.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

With the new bigger cage I would try to keep his cage unchanged for awhile until he gets more comfortable. The constant changes to moving around, and inner cage structure may be what is stressing him out. Let him settle for a week or two with nothing changed and fall into a routine with him. And like MissK said, cover him a little bit at a time. With the baby, I started by just placing the folded up blanket on top of his cage.

You'll know when he starts getting bored of his cage...his toys will go untouched and when he comes out, he will chew on everything he's not supposed to ;)

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:With the new bigger cage I would try to keep his cage unchanged for awhile until he gets more comfortable. The constant changes to moving around, and inner cage structure may be what is stressing him out. Let him settle for a week or two with nothing changed and fall into a routine with him. And like MissK said, cover him a little bit at a time. With the baby, I started by just placing the folded up blanket on top of his cage.

You'll know when he starts getting bored of his cage...his toys will go untouched and when he comes out, he will chew on everything he's not supposed to ;)
I've left the perches untouched and unchanged and just started rotating the toys around again. His new Birdie binkie came in today.. its HUGE and I bought a small! it looks like a massive fleece donut :lol:

Anyway, it's bright and rainbow colored so at first Remy was looking at it like it was crazy, then I started nuzzling it and picking it and pretending to eat it and Remy jumped on it after that. He played for 5 minutes, then I moved it next to his sleeping spot. I was pleased to say he snuggled up against it last night. Whether or not it kept him warm with that big hole in the middle, who knows but at least its something warm for him for now :)
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

We bought a birdy bunk for our first IRN, a blue male. He totally ignored it for the month and a half it was in his cage. When we got our new violet female, we put it in her cage - she LOVES it!! Sleeps in it almost every night - even over summer :shock:
They are funny little creatures :lol:

I'm glad your birdy has something warm to snuggle with at night :)
Regards Deb
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

jmlw7 wrote:
I've left the perches untouched and unchanged and just started rotating the toys around again. His new Birdie binkie came in today.. its HUGE and I bought a small! it looks like a massive fleece donut :lol:

Anyway, it's bright and rainbow colored so at first Remy was looking at it like it was crazy, then I started nuzzling it and picking it and pretending to eat it and Remy jumped on it after that. He played for 5 minutes, then I moved it next to his sleeping spot. I was pleased to say he snuggled up against it last night. Whether or not it kept him warm with that big hole in the middle, who knows but at least its something warm for him for now :)

I have an image in my head of a giant donut with rainbow sprinkles and Remy cuddled up to it lol :lol:

Seriously though, I'm glad he has a snuggle buddy now. And I'm glad he took to it so easily. You did the perfect thing by playing with it in front of him. IRN's can't take it when someone has something they don't have :wink:

Deb...I wish I could have gotten my little one to sleep in one. I have males...and they look at the little huts like...I'm not sleeping in that thing lol.

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

willowisp71 wrote:We bought a birdy bunk for our first IRN, a blue male. He totally ignored it for the month and a half it was in his cage. When we got our new violet female, we put it in her cage - she LOVES it!! Sleeps in it almost every night - even over summer :shock:
They are funny little creatures :lol:

I'm glad your birdy has something warm to snuggle with at night :)
That looks so warm and snuggly, but I heard that could promote nesting behavior? I have to admit I'm not 100% sure that Remy is a male, but even so as he is alone, would that benefit him or possibly create an undesired behavior? Any insight? I'm so new to the birdie accessories. I was leaning toward a birdie blanket, something that drapes over him while he sleeps, but I figured the birdie binkie donut thing looked more like a preening toy if he ended up hating it. These "experimental" items are expensive, so its so hard to know what to buy... :?