Can my IRN be outside on my deck?

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

Can my IRN be outside on my deck?

Post by jmlw7 »

I have another question and so sorry if this sounds completely silly, but we live in an apartment/condo type complex and are on the 3rd floor. We have Remy, our 8 month old IRN, situated in the living room in the happy corner by the deck door. He gets to enjoy the window when he is out of his cage and hangs out in the bamboo palm plant located right by the window. Sometimes we put bird seeds out on our little deck table and a bird or two will come by. He doesnt really seem to care but he watches, so its cute.

Anyway, his wings are clipped and its' been such nice warm 65-70 degree weather that it would be a nice idea to give him a bath out on the deck. However, its the 3rd floor and to avoid him falling through the deck side fence (the wood floor is perfect, if I get one of those safety gates with smaller openings to put over the deck fence, would it be okay for him to hang out outside with us on the deck floor or his playgym? Or is this just a horrible, risky, bad idea? The deck is covered, and its private - but it's high off the ground and I dont want him falling off.

Does anyone else do this? And if so, what kind of gate/barrier to you use so the little IRN cant fit through? I dont have the heart to try a harness just yet, he is still a baby.
InTheAir

Re: Can my IRN be outside on my deck?

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Unless you can fully enclose the verandah with flyscreen or aviary mesh it is not a good idea to take even a clipped bird outside. If he gets a fright the combination of adrenalin and a small gust of wind can give him enough lift to fly away. The idea of a clipped bird falling from that height gives me vertigo just thinking about it, if he has a good gliding clip he could probably build up enough speed to fly away though. If he has never been flighted, or has an uneven clip, he may not know how to land safely. Gives a whole new meaning to crash course that I don't want to contemplate!

It is safer to just move the cage outside, and have it half shaded so he won't overheat, put his bathtub in the cage.

Also, I'm not sure where you are, but here in Australia a lot of the birds that come near people are vicious/territorial little buggers! I have had our birds cage 3 metres away from me while I was washing my car and a couple mynah birds started attacking his cage. Come to think of it, Nele got swooped by a mynah bird while he was on my partners shoulder (in his harness), luckily he flew straight to my chest where I could cover him.

And lastly, it is worth checking with your avian vet whether the wild birds in your local area could be carrying diseases that Remy could catch. Over here there is a huge risk of some really nasty ones (one I know of is incurable).

Claire

PS; gosh, I hope I don't sound like the kind of mother who only lets her child on a padded playground when it is wearing bodyarmour and a helmet! Lol
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

You're not the only one lol. I have bad visions of open doors and my baby flying right out the door. It's made me a bit neurotic :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hahahaha! Actually, *I* take the neurotic prize. If I carry a bird in a travel cage outside I have to keep checking the doors since they will all magically fly open and free my birds. Seriously, some of them are even spring-loaded shut!
:oops:

BUT, about the original post - I agree, the whole thing should be netted or screened. Also, I don't think there is anything such as "too young" to learn about the harness. Start playing with it now, draping it on the bird, dressing the bird in it, even if it doesn't fit, so when the time comes to use it then it will be No Big Deal.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hahahaha...ill do you one better. I zip tied all the doors shut on my travel cage :lol:

I agree on the harness. I will be starting young too getting mine used to the idea. I love the idea of giving him the freedom to be outside without all the worry. Of course ill still worry that the bungee will magically break apart. I'm trying...really I am :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh, Skye, those bungees can withstand an amazing amount of force -- what you have to worry about is the little darling chewing it in half!!
:twisted:

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hahaha... I'm pretty blase compared to you two!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Great!!! Now I have another thing to worry about darn you :wink:

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Thanks again all - I think I'm crazy - I am terrified of the harness and what it would be like on his little belly if I were to pull it too hard or something! I would really much rather buy yards and yards of mosquito netting or something and drape it all over my deck! Which actually might be ok... right? And Skye - you have a great idea with the zip ties. I'm thinking of getting a new cage for Remy since his current one is too cheaply made (he got his toe caught in a misaligned bar the other night :( ), and the one I am looking at has a great door with a lock, but two higher smaller feeder doors that dont lock. I may have to cable tie those! We will use the current cage he has now as his travel cage for long weekends per my other post.

Anyway, I really am terrified of the harness. I cant imagine taking Remy out with his clipped wings and him hopping all over the place with some restraint on his little belly. What if some scary squirrel comes and I accidentally yank on the leash too hard? :cry:

And I definitely cannot find a gate or fence, so I think an aviary netting or mosquito net would be inexpensive and removable and keep the wild life away. Yea?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Here I go again, into the realm of theory, since we don't use a harness.........

You're not going to be pulling on the harness, are you? Any pull is going to be done by the bird, right? No flying out of range = no pulling? And, I think, any pressure will really be distributed to the bird's back, not his tummy, since the tummy will be on the following side of the pull. And the amount of pressure will be the force of him flying, not you pulling with all your might?

Once upon a time I was walking my tiny dog with a dog harness. Out of nowhere came a loose neighbor's dog, one not known for friendliness. Boom, there he was! Without even thinking about it, I reeled my tiny dog in like a yo-yo, picking him straight up off the ground by the leash, which means he was lifted in the harness. I was able to send the other dog packing with some display of shocked and outraged hostility, and then inspect my own dog. I was pretty worried, since I had lifted him with a bit of a jerk, and I checked him more than thoroughly. He was perfectly fine, AND he didn't have to face a confrontation with the surly other dog - he was safe in my arms where belonged. Would I ever jerk him up in the harness on purpose? No. Could it have hurt him? Maybe. Did it save him from mixing it up with the neighbor's mutt? Surely it did. So, it ended well.

That's my feeling about the bird harness. It protects.

Harness users pipe up.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The pressure of the harness does fall on the back. But I've only ever seen flighted birds use a harness. I have some concerns for a clipped bird using a harness. First and foremost is that the bird can't escape on its own and would be pulled on.

I think in this instance you have a better idea of using the netting to cover your balcony. Just make sure it's secure all the way around and doesn't gap anywhere that your bird may be able to wiggle out or another animal could get in. If you're going to zip tie it I would places the ties no further than 2inches apart.

If you could...can you post a pic of it when you're done to offer others some ideas? :)

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:The pressure of the harness does fall on the back. But I've only ever seen flighted birds use a harness. I have some concerns for a clipped bird using a harness. First and foremost is that the bird can't escape on its own and would be pulled on.

I think in this instance you have a better idea of using the netting to cover your balcony. Just make sure it's secure all the way around and doesn't gap anywhere that your bird may be able to wiggle out or another animal could get in. If you're going to zip tie it I would places the ties no further than 2inches apart.

If you could...can you post a pic of it when you're done to offer others some ideas? :)
Definitely and for sure. It is raining by me all this week, but within the next couple of weeks, I plan on doing what I can to enclose our little deck so Remy can play and bathe and frolic outside. Before I actually obtain the mosquito or whatever netting, I'll just wheel his cage out on the deck so he can enjoy fresh air.

As for the new cage, I'm thinking of getting him a flight cage. Particularly http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... D=ELF_3221

Does this seems good? This way he has bigger space, an open top, and wheels!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That cage is fine...but for that money you can find a bigger one.

Try http://www.bird-supplies.net/ae-cages.htm

Or http://www.cagesunder500dollars.com/c-1 ... r-300.aspx

Or http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2975226011

This is the cage I use for my ringnecks

Let me know what you find :)

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:That cage is fine...but for that money you can find a bigger one.

Try http://www.bird-supplies.net/ae-cages.htm

Or http://www.cagesunder500dollars.com/c-1 ... r-300.aspx

Or http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2975226011

Let me know what you find :)
The King's Cage is actually the biggest flight cage I could find with an open top. Dimensions of the cage itself are 32"x21"x"34" where all of the other "bigger" ones, simply include just the stand making it seem larger. Its actually the same size as the big flight cage in the 2nd link you sent: http://www.cagesunder500dollars.com/p-4 ... -6000.aspx

Same dimensions with the height being 1 inch taller.

I have been looking and looking, and all of the other very "large" flight cages are about the same dimensions in width and depth or smaller, actually. As for the height, do IRN's really use the cage top to bottom if the bottom starts at the floor? I feel like I'd rather have a 32" wide cage by 34" length top to bottom.. over a 22" wide cage by 42" length top to bottom. Unless the bottom is elevated on a stand or something. Usually those with stand are about a little over 60" or so which the King's Cage is already.

Make sense or am I being silly? The ideal cage I'm looking for Remy is a flight cage size, about 32"x22"X34 or something similar (cant afford much over mid $200s), with an open top and raised off the ground a couple of feet.

it really comes down to these two, but the first one will most likely win because of the open top. They are very similar in dimensions in my opinion (unless I'm wrong):

1. Flight cage with open top - http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetail ... D=ELF_3221
2. Flight cage with a solid flat top - http://www.cagesunder500dollars.com/p-4 ... -6000.aspx

Are these okay? Is there any reason not to get them? I hate buyers remorse!

Do you know the dimensions of the inside of your cage? I feel like I've seen that before and it has similar dimensions as well if Im referring to the right one. (its beeeeeeautiful by the way! :))
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I see your point. I guess the pic didn't do the size justice. My cage is the same size as the one you picked out but with the closed play top. My IRN actually does use the bottom of his cage for foot toys and foraging balls.

I think you're good to go with that size. I apologize for not reading the dimensions properly :roll:

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:I see your point. I guess the pic didn't do the size justice. My cage is the same size as the one you picked out but with the closed play top. My IRN actually does use the bottom of his cage for foot toys and foraging balls.

I think you're good to go with that size. I apologize for not reading the dimensions properly :roll:
I'm glad you didnt read the dimensions, because then I wouldnt have seen your awesome cage pic! :) If its the same size, then I'm definitely buying it because yours looks AWESOME. And since Remy is used to his open top right now, it will be good to keep it open top. Also, it "closes" flat, so I can still put fun stuff on the top with a flat closed roof for variety. I love your cage! They only carry the one I'm getting in blue and green, so I'll probably get green since they one we have now is green - I just hope its the same shade and not an ugly green (yikes)

I'll post pics of that when it comes too, I'll buy it today yay! I'll also post pics of whatever enclosure we do with our deck too.

Thank yooooooooooou!!!!!!!!!! (Remy will thank you too!) :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Can't wait to see pics :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Regarding the flyscreen bottom I recommend stapling it to the bottom of some planks of wood, then lightly screwing them to the deck. This will distribute the weight evenly, so if something hits it or the wind picks up it should survive better. It has a tendency to rip at pressure points.
Alternatively a multilayer hem with a strong stitch on both sides of the cable ties, would probably save you from having to replace it after every storm. I think.. I can't guarantee that one, it may need stitching the whole way around the cable ties.... brain won't work... Must have more coffee!

Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm not sold on top opening being a really swell feature - that's what doors are for. Ringnecks have no trouble at all negotiating even a small door. They do, however, seem to enjoy a few things hanging from the ceiling. If you have stuff hanging, opening that top will swiftly become annoying. As well as hanging things inside, you can build a nice play gym on top a closed cage, or place your supplemental lighting up there. One of Rocky's cages could be easily altered to an opening top (it's a dome) and while I was putting it together my first thought was "ooh, opening top!" and my second thought was "But where would the hanging things go?" Suffice it to say, top stays closed.

Rocky's main cage is 34" inside height and about 64" long. It is on a stand 20-28" high (too lazy to measure). He spends a lot of time running around the floor of the cage, and I believe he would continue this if the cage were closer to the floor. On the one hand, I don't think he misses any extra height he doesn't have, but *I* would like more space for the toys and perches, etc. I would have gotten the cage the same length but as tall as myself, but even bargain shopping it was over $800. I chose to buy two matching cages so when I have the second bird the cages would go well together. Yeah, I'm *that* way. (If I ever give up looking for a second Ringneck, my Budgies are gonna have a hell of a swell time in that big second cage!!) At the end of the day, though, I think wide is more important that tall.

One more thought, a little out of the box - For screening your deck, how about second hand actual screen doors? You could literally hinge them together for a little screen room, and they would automatically be a good height. If you couldn't use a modular door size/shape floorplan, you could drape and staple mesh for a roof. I would check free stuff websites like freecycle and craigslist, as well as salvage companies and the landfill. You could even ask the screen door salesperson at the home improvement store to give new door purchasers your number and offer them to take the old doors away. Maybe I'm the only kook here who would think of something like that.

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk, I think that's a brilliant idea for a verandah, by far the safest and I love upcycling!

Neles cage is made from a repurposed tv cabinet that we stripped, chopped up, lined with untreated wood and aviary meshed... Its 2m long by 1.6 high and wide enough that he across fly in it, and cheaper than comparable sized cages (but very labour intensive). I would like to make it wider, but we need to move to a bigger house first.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Yeah........... If I ever stop worrying in the back of my mind that some financial disaster will necessitate selling the house, I'd love to make the second bedroom into a free bird area.

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:Can't wait to see pics :D
We already received and assembled the cage, can you believe it? :mrgreen: He LOVES his new cage set up!!! We had the top open all day yesterday and he enjoyed it, and then closed it flat when he was in his cage. Remy is one happy bird! He wasnt scared of the change at all, and has been playing nonstop with all of his toys. He even went down to the bottom of it to play with his foot toys. Let's hope he uses his bird bath. Here are some pics - one pic right when we got him in and the other after we swapped out the food dishes and perches toward the bottom. A bunch of new toys were added too so all is good so far! :)

yesterday

today
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The cage looks great! :) Remy is one lucky bird. Enjoy his new palace.

MissK

Post by MissK »

I particularly like the attractive roof line. When your wallet recovers, consider some of these:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 4AodMTcAIQ

They are available from various makers - insist on stainless steel. Those that simply hang on the cage are easier to install, but less stable and easier for bird to mess with. Go crazy and buy a handfull at the same time so they will all match. If you get them bit by bit you could go crazy trying to match the holder to the cup that fits. You can use them for dry food, wet food, special treats, water, mush, even toys. If you feed seed and pellet, get one for each if you don't empty the "stale" pellets every day. Easy to use, easy to clean.

Can you tell I love these cups? I even have them for my dogs.

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote:I particularly like the attractive roof line. When your wallet recovers, consider some of these:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 4AodMTcAIQ

They are available from various makers - insist on stainless steel. Those that simply hang on the cage are easier to install, but less stable and easier for bird to mess with. Go crazy and buy a handfull at the same time so they will all match. If you get them bit by bit you could go crazy trying to match the holder to the cup that fits. You can use them for dry food, wet food, special treats, water, mush, even toys. If you feed seed and pellet, get one for each if you don't empty the "stale" pellets every day. Easy to use, easy to clean.

Can you tell I love these cups? I even have them for my dogs.

-MissK
I think im waiting for him to flip over his cups. I dont get the impression he would do that right now, so I'll probably stick to these $2 cups as they work so far. I'll most likely upgrade to the stainless steel cups you mention in the near future.

I cant tell if Remy is comfortable in his cage. Its definitely noticeably larger than his last cage and he has fun during the day, but at night he doesnt always sleep on his high up rope perch. Sometimes he sleeps on his mid-height wooden branch. Last night I caught him clinging to his cage wall, so I think he needs time to adjust to the size. I feel like its a really big cage for him so he probably isnt very comfortable yet.

While we were at work for almost a 12 hour day yesterday, we moved Remy's cage to right in front of the window of the deck door so he could look outside all day. That was the closest thing we could give him to being outside without sunlight directly in his cage. We got home from work and he seemed so antsy and anxious. We cant tell if that was smart or silly as it was nearly impossible to get him in his cage at bedtime. We also tried training him a little with petting him and holding him cupped in a hand (we eventually want him to be used to our hands on his back and belly so we can pet him and do tricks and flip him over, etc etc), but he kept trying to fly off. He is clipped, so he didnt get very far, but he was one anxious bird. He kept coming back to us and is still doing considerably well with how comfortable he is since he's only been with us for less than a month, but he isnt used to us petting him - unless he is sleepy on a branch late at night, then he tolerates when I scratch his beak and his head and makes this high pitched squeaky monkey sound (maybe he's a she?), who knows.

Maybe leaving his cage in front of the deck window all day isnt the best idea?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Really comes down to 1) where's the sun and 2) what's on the other side of the window.

Rocky loves the living room window, and I had his cage against it for the first month or so. It screwed with the human traffic pattern, though, so he had to move across the room. I know he would rather be by the window, but at least he can still see out, albeit from 10 feet away.

When he was in the previous spot, I did make sure to provide some cover between part of the cage and part of the window, so if he saw something scary (or it saw him) he could hide. Make sure your bird can hide, too.

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote:Really comes down to 1) where's the sun and 2) what's on the other side of the window.

Rocky loves the living room window, and I had his cage against it for the first month or so. It screwed with the human traffic pattern, though, so he had to move across the room. I know he would rather be by the window, but at least he can still see out, albeit from 10 feet away.

When he was in the previous spot, I did make sure to provide some cover between part of the cage and part of the window, so if he saw something scary (or it saw him) he could hide. Make sure your bird can hide, too.

-MissK
This is definitely something to consider for next time. He could have very well been on alert with no where to hide when his cage was so exposed in the middle of the window. This weekend (well, Saturday morning to Sunday night), we are leaving Remy alone... and to make him not be so bored with his cage toys, etc, we will move his cage so half is in front of the window where he can see outside when he wants, and the other half will be covered by the wall/curtain.

I guess it's probably a bad idea altogether to leave his cage outside on the deck in the summer while we are at work huh. No direct sun, but natural light, fresh air, and scary animals flying around with no where for him to hide :?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I wouldn't do it, but lots of birds live in outside aviaries. My concern for a deck situation would be predators and vermin. Of course, I grew up on years of my mom repeating that a mouse in the cage can scare a bird to death............

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote: One more thought, a little out of the box - For screening your deck, how about second hand actual screen doors? You could literally hinge them together for a little screen room, and they would automatically be a good height. If you couldn't use a modular door size/shape floorplan, you could drape and staple mesh for a roof. I would check free stuff websites like freecycle and craigslist, as well as salvage companies and the landfill. You could even ask the screen door salesperson at the home improvement store to give new door purchasers your number and offer them to take the old doors away. Maybe I'm the only kook here who would think of something like that.

-MissK
What do you think of mosquito netting curtains? Hung from the top of the deck to the floor, possibly in two layers? Do you think IRN's can get tangled, or would it be a good short term alternative to aviary screens?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think if you have a use for a mosquito netting curtain anyway, buy one and hang it inside to see how it goes. Make the next plan guided by that.
You would need to have them attached together so he cannot slip out between. Ellie has someplace posted a pic of her bird actually hanging onto the split between two hanging bits of stuff. I don't think I would be laid back enough to just curtain my bird in outside, but I am a little nutty about protection.

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote: You would need to have them attached together so he cannot slip out between. Ellie has someplace posted a pic of her bird actually hanging onto the split between two hanging bits of stuff. I don't think I would be laid back enough to just curtain my bird in outside, but I am a little nutty about protection.

-MissK
I saw her photo of the streamers and Janey hanging in between them looking oh so proud :mrgreen: I thought that was adorable and I definitely will be attaching them together. Either that, or we will buy bug netting fabric at the craft store cut to the right size. This weekend I will shop around and post pics of whatever we find.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

This was my idea. It's what I'm doing for my lanai...

Frame it out with 1"X2" wood and attach the screening to the wood.

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skye can you post pics whenever that gets done? We are looking to move into a house in the next year or two and its never too late to start planning!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lol...I haven't even started yet. That was a pic from a DIY website. It's just what I want to do :)

MissK

Post by MissK »

Would it go faster if I pointed out it's a dandy excuse to go get that shiny new nail gun? :o

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Possibly. Hmmmmm :lol: