a few questions on my new IRN

Moderator: Mods

Rosa

a few questions on my new IRN

Post by Rosa »

Someone gave me an IRN. I dont think she was taken care of well. She looks slim and her color is dull. They told me she is about 4 yrs old. She seems sweet, but all she wants to do is go right to my shoulder. Any tips on how I can get her to stay on my hand, instead of going right to my shoulder? If i try to keep her off my shoulder she bites me. If shes on my shoulder she lets me pet her and she'll be nice. I also have a 2 yr. old quaker and let me tell you INR bites are worse! Also, are INR quiet birds? I have not heard anything really except maybe a few quiet squeeks and I thought I heard a giggle. Much more quiet then my screeming quaker. Thats a good thing! Should she be so quiet? Thanks for your help and advice that you can give me! I hope to give her a happy and healthy future! :)
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

A bird running to the shoulder is a common problem. Larger birds should be given great care when placed on a shoulder for real damage can incur. Birds are not vicious monsters, on the contrary, they are extremely affectionate; however, a scared bird is a bird inclined to bite. It only takes once to have a pierced lip or an eye that has been damaged. Great caution should be taken into consideration. With that said, you know your bird’s personality and you’ll be the judge to allow this behavior. :D

Trust me; I know Ringnecks have a nasty bite. For being a medium sized parrot, they truly have a beak that can bite. Especially those female Ringnecks, watch out! :shock:

Indian Ringnecks love to be on the shoulder. Why? A shoulder is a great perch that’s warm and cozy. It’s high enough to be suitable for a day at the theater. Really, birds love to watch their environment and a shoulder is a great place for that. An added bonus is it gets to be right next to the person it really enjoys. Most Indian Ringnecks find shoulders to be very suitable and entertaining. They love to preen hair and nibble on ears (not suggested).

Solving the problem. As soon as your Ringneck heads to your shoulders, quickly place your finger in front of her path, towards your shoulders, and she’ll hop on your finger. Then place her on your knee or keep her on your finger. Reward her with a piece of fruit or nut. The longer she stays there the more she’ll get rewarded. She’ll try many times to reach her destination—your shoulders. Continue to obstruct her path with your fingers if she tries to again jump to your shoulders. She will test you many times, don’t give in. It only takes one fault to undo all the work you have done. Keep rewarding her and praising her for her great behavior.

Once you are sure your Indian Ringneck knows not to head for the shoulder anymore, then you may once again resume putting your parrot back on your shoulder. It’s important that you set her there, not her deciding to do it herself. She’ll know that you're flock leader.

Also you mentioned that your Ringneck does not scream so much. You’re correct in that assumption. Ringnecks are fairly quite parrots, but when they feel threatened, watch out! It can get rather loud. That’s about it. They occasionally make a call that’s not as prominent as their “panic” or “alert danger” call, that is the contact call. Also, the giggle that you think you are hearing might be your bird practicing speech. One day you might walk in and to your surprise, she says, “Hello.” Time will tell. :wink:

Hope this helps. :D

Best Wishes
I.C.

If you need anymore questions please feel free to ask.