Budgie chicks feeding

Moderator: Mods

subodhhire

Budgie chicks feeding

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

I know this is a wrong question here but still, I know many people here have experience with Budgies and would be glad to help me with any info.
I have got a couple of Budgies yesterday evening. I was told that they are 3 weeks old but I thinks they are around 4 weeks old. They are still in the hand feeding stage and that is where I am facing a problem.

I had never handfed a baby budgie and somehow I am feeling that I am not feeding them properly or enough. Any advice and help would be highly appreciated. Also some pic to give you some idea.

Subodh
MissK

Re: Budgie chicks feeding

Post by MissK »

Subodh, aren't they sweet! I can't answer the question, of course, but congratulations, just the same!

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thank you Missk. I am worried for them. They ate well today morning though. I think the temperature of the formula was the issue.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Me too can't help, but think they are too cute and you make me want budgies also :lol:
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thanks Ash.

Can anybody please tell me if coriander leaves are good for chicks these small. They are loving those leaves and are going on nibbling at them. Also should i start the weaning process or is it too early?
Cause they are already nibbling the coriander leaves.

Someone please reply, I have done my research but still practical is different.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

Please anyone with experience of hand feeding budgies. I am at my wits end. These guys are not eating the formula at all and just want to nibble the coriander leaves. They are eating nothing else. I had kept apple some sprouted beans and coriander leaves.

Does anyone think that they have started weaning early?

They look content though, have a look.

Please guys any suggestions.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Subodh,

I emailed a breeder on your behalf. I hope they respond. I also found this forum thread which includes a timetable for Budgies. The pertinent part was "28 to 35 days to come out of the nest. (Start of weaning) 42 days old to the nursery. (weaned)"

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/ind ... opic=17350

I did read that the average age for weaning was 5 weeks, and that hand fed Budgies wean sooner than parent fed captive, who wean faster than wild. It is mentioned repeatedly that each bird is individual and may vary. You certainly know I am the last person to ask about raising baby birds, but if I were in your situation, I would offer those babies formula in the exact same way they liked on that morning you mentioned, as well as adult foods known to be safe for Budgies.

Good luck, my friend! I have faith in you.

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Subodhhire

I don't know much about handraising baby birds - but I think you are on the right track by offering them sprouting beans. I remember when we first brought Janey home, although she was weaned, the breeder recommended feeding her sprouting seed every day for the first little while.

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi MissK and Ellie,

I think the situation is under control now. They have started eating the sprouts. It seems that they are already weaned cause they are eating everything properly now. They are not eating the formula at all. They seem very content and are in a playful mood. I think the reason why they were not eating earlier was because they were adjusting themselves to the new home.

They are already stepping up on command and they love to sit on my shoulder. I love these babies.

Chanakya is very annoyed and wants to nip at them. But slowly he has also started accepting them.

I think everything will be smooth in a couple of days.

Thanks Missk and Ellie.

Subodh
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good job, well done!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with sexing my babies. They are 5 weeks old now. I have attached the latest pic. My guess is the green one is a male and the yellow is female. Any suggestions please cause i have to name them.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Subodh, you know darn well it's too early to know for sure. :D

I suggest Lemon and Mint, but what do I know? Mine are both named for male characters in a movie, but the names standing alone could go either way. I suggest that sort of thing is the best course, if you have to have their names match their genders.

I love how they are both looking at you, like they are thinking, "What is Daddy doing NOW?" They're pretty cute.

-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi MissK,

I have read that people can tell the gender of a 5 days old budgie and mine are 5 weeks. So I thought someone might be able to throw some light.

Your suggestion about the names is awesome. I like it. But unknowingly i have started calling the yellow one Lily and she is responding to it. So I will keep her as lily and the green one i will name Minty.
Thankyou so much MissK.

Yes they are super cute it is so much fun to see them play.

Subodh
Melika

Post by Melika »

This is the only way I know to sex a budgie, same as I read in a book when I was a child lol. http://www.petbudgie.com/sexing/

The bars above their cere will receed and then you'll see a change in the cere colour.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thank you Melika.

Subodh