Pionus beak on blue ringneck? Malabar dad or ARN gone wrong

Moderator: Mods

Shalah

Pionus beak on blue ringneck? Malabar dad or ARN gone wrong

Post by Shalah »

I have hand raised a baby, called Entree, from a couple of days old. Mum is a yellow IRN and dad is a blue IRN. Both are beautiful large birds with yellow around their eyes and the top beak is red and the bottom beak is black. Dad has the ring mum doesnt. To me they look like normal Indian ringnecks...... EXCEPT... the baby is now 6 mths old, a smaller 120gm and I have just researched " dark beaks" and discovered that its beak is the same as the pionus parrot. I thought the baby might be male as it dances for beer bottles, pins its eyes and heartshapes its wings. I am now wondering if it could be doing this but actually be a female malabar parrot? They apparently have black beaks. But could this be an offsprint from a yellow ringneck mum even if the dad was some kind of Malabar? Or an African ringneck with a wonky beak? I am soooooo confused.
Shalah

Re: Pionus beak on blue ringneck? Malabar dad or ARN gone wr

Post by Shalah »

Thanks for your reply. As a new member I have to place 10 posts before I can provide an image so I will provide a pic as soon as I can.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Shalah

I believe you can post a picture as your avatar in the meantime, or you can email me the photo and I can put it up for you.

Ellie.
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi Ellie
Thank you for the hint on the avatar. Ive added a picture of Entree so I hope you can see it. I still couldnt place an image or URL

I wrote the following in the Welcome\Introduce yourself forum
I did post a picture on a Pionus Parrot forum and someone said that his beak is deformed and that he is probably nutrient deficient and to take him to a vet immediately. I have to say that this bird is VERY happy, will try any food in sight. Loves corn, grapes, pumpkin, cooked pasta, , apples, peaches, broccoli, beans, peas, seeds etc etc.... along with anything he can steal while Im preparing dinner ... so I cant see how he can be lacking in nutrients. His beak is symmetrical on both sides. I am watching to see how long it gets incase he isnt wearing it down enough

Im still attempting to put an image in each time that I post. Ill see if I can email to you.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Here are Shalah's pics:

Entrees beak close up from the side

Entrees Mum and Dad

Entrees Avatar pic enlarged

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

It really doesn't look good to me either, but I'm not an expert in these things. If it was my bird, I would be taking it to an avian vet... but maybe some of the breeders here might have some ideas.

Ellie.

P.S. If he isn't getting appropriate nutrients, it's not necessarily your fault, it could be that his body can't process particular foods properly or something. A good avian vet should be able to check this out for you.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Some anomalies in beck and nails are associated features of structural mutations (up to 20% in poultry). Could you post a pic of your bird together with a normal blue besides to check for his colour? Otherwise a smaller size and beak anomalies point to a metabolic problem (congenital or secondary to illness, nutrients deficits, ...).

Regards

Recio
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Thanks for the replies. Entree is exactly the same colour as his dad who is in the other pic on the right hand wire
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Lee,

That was my thougth and the reason I wrote about possible structural mutations (iridescent feathers) ... but if the colour is like the father, who looks normal in the first pic, I will take it as induced by ligthing conditions.

Regards

Recio
madas

Post by madas »

And sure it isn't a hybird of the dad and a ringeck (the albino in the background)?

madas
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi Madas.. Entree definately has the yellow as his mum and the blue ringneck as his dad. There was absolutely no other mating activity.. maybe the others are still too young.

Recio.. I dont know much about iridescent feathers. Entree.. and his dad... have wings that appear to look darker and slightly more green when looked at from an angle. Im not sure if this is what you mean.

I have taken Entree to an avian vet today who said that he/she is in very good body condition, has a lot of new feathers coming through and lots of "powder" which apparently shows good skin condition. Also checked his feet and eyes.. ( he apparently has really nice eyes). Entree kindly showed the vet his preening technique and she said that his beak is working fine at that. She did some kind of test on his droppings and said that they were perfect and after watching him eating from his dish of mixed fruit vegies etc could only suggest that I try wetting his pellets to try and encourage him to eat them. She said the pellets would ensure that he is getting calcium and all the other vitamins.

The vet did say that Entree has a small amount of " stress marks" and that they are at a level in his feathers from when he was fairly young and should disappear with his next moult. He had a tough beginning with fluid from his nostrils when he was very young, that effecting his feeding ( the fluid even had a green tinge at one stage) etc and she said that this probably caused them. The vet also felt that possibly this may have effected the "horn" growth for the beak. ( I placed his life story on another forum titled - Novice handrearing can be successful and rewarding . ).. Ohh.. he has tree branches as perches but she suggested some pieces of hardwood with slightly shredded ends to encourage him to chew and wear down the beak.

The vet said she could do other tests if I wished but as he is so healthy, showing no other signs of problems or immunity issues she felt there was no requirement for it if I was happy to see how he goes until after this moult has finished.

I was recommended this vet by two exotic bird breeders in my area who said that she is the best around.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

To me it looks like the bird perched below the blue male has similar traits as your bird. Maybe it's just my iPad...but the beak shape and head shape look similar. Also the wing color. Is that a pic of a female and if so is it possible that could be the mum??
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi Skyes_crew..... The other bird is a Princess parrot, only young and was not in the aviary at the time. The only birds in the aviary were ringnecks. The blue IRN male was mating with both a Blue IRN that I have as well as the yellow IRN female. The blue IRN female laid eggs that were not fertile. The yellow IRN and Blue Male IRN were the only ones entering the breeding box so I am 100% sure of the parents.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Well regardless of the parentage, you have a very handsome boy who is lucky to have you :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D