Question for Mazziemom...

Moderator: Mods

Dani03

Question for Mazziemom...

Post by Dani03 »

Ok so I've been bitten by the mutli-bird bug (MBB :D ) Ok so here's the story, I went to the local bird mart we have here and immediatly was drawn to an Alexandrine parrot. Your Alice is one...I'm pretty sure of this so this is why I am asking you. What is their general tempermant like? Are they 'IRN' like or more even tempered? See I saw the one and almost came home with her but I stopped myself and told me that I would do more research before jumping and getting one.

So if you can give me any info and your experiences with them...would help and I'd be grateful :wink:

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

:) Yep, that is my Alice baby... a big ol Alexandrine girl.

They are a lot like the IRN's in temperment, though bigger and capable of being even louder. Alice is on the quiet side, but she came from an exceptional breeder... with a long history of exceptional babies.

They do seem to need to chew about 10x as much as the little guys... Alice goes through toys so fast I sometimes consider buying her a factory to make them for her.

The beaks are more powerful, so the bites can be worse, but if you raise them just like you would an IRN (take no guff, love tons) they are good about not using them to hurt you.

If you do decide to get one, be sure to get a handfed well socialized baby who was allowed to fledge. Not all parrots must fledge but Alex's need it, otherwise they keep trying and trying and you end up with a very flighty bird. Alice was clipped the day she got on the plane to me, and flew until then :)

I really enjoy the Alexandrines, I know a few. Alice, having been raised with my IRN crew is even friendly with the little guys. Get em young, raise em right and you cant go wrong :)

Athena
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Awesome thanks so much! I am seriously thinking about getting one...After all I have had with Prinny I think I can go multi-bird again. What size cage do you have her in?

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

She's actually in a smaller cage at the moment than I prefer, simply because we are in the middle of remodeling and space is a major issue. :(

However, she does have a larger cage in another area that she plays in, and that will be hers when we finish.

Like the IRN's they need a tall cage for the tail, and because they are so much bigger the side to side size is important too. I'd say no less than 3ft tall by 3 ft wide, and bigger if you can pull it off.

Oh, and Alice has NO interest in a playtop. She loves gyms... but the playtop is boring to her.

Athena
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Try not to buy from petstores unless they have a really good reputation, not to mention the mark up on the pice, they always sell for way more! .. It's always better to get birds from a reputable BREEDER.. they can give you a hatch date and ALL the information you need to know about your bird.

Try asking the pet shop, what her parents were (by that I mean were they ex pets, are they good breeders, do they have any genetic defects in their blood line) , what their genetics are (maybe not so important in this case, but is it split for anything), her hatch date, her tempriment, what her fave food is, how she was raised, what were the conditions if she was hand feed, is she hand tame. and so on and so forth.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Dani, are you in the US? If you are I know a fantastic Alexandrine breeder!

Athena
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I sure am in the US...what their name?

Neo...don't I know it! Nope i never buy from stores...not even the pity buys. I have to keep telling myself that if I buy from a store I know I am just furthering along a chain on hurt for the birds...

Dani and Prinny
julie

Post by julie »

i brought indie from the pet store for $100 but the lady who owns the shop is the breeder
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

www.wendysparrots.com

Wendy Craig ... Alice's breeder.

She is exceptional, a woman who breeds for the love of the birds, not for the money.

Every single bird I've known who has come from her (and thats a lot actually, people get on LONG lists for her RF's) has been a wonder bird.

:)

Athena
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I think for the love of birds I have decided not to be a breeder. There are so many other people doing this and so many parrots dont go to good homes. I feel this is best for the birds.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Actually Mazziemom...I actually was talking to her before you mentioned her! She is a wonderful person and seems to be one heck of a breeder! So you got your Alice from her? Yep I'm thinking of getting one of her babies.

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Dani...

One of my dear friends visits with Wendy often. She lives close, and they are good friends. She has a GW and a Timmie from her, and will be adding a RF someday.

Something neat for you to know is that the Alex breeders (Easter and Ringo) are tame as can be when not on eggs. Sweet sweet birds that love to interact with people.

I just had to peek, and yep, she's got babies! Oh the temptaion LOL! I love my Alice girl so much and just know the new babies will be just as sweet. Another of my friends has Alice's brother and he's a sweetheart too. We get them together when we can (we are one state apart) and they just LOVE it!

If your ready, your on the right track! I really want to see something special from a breeder when I'm looking, and Wendy is it!

You could have a little face just like this one!

Athena