Should I get a second IRN or a different species?

Moderator: Mods

MissK

Should I get a second IRN or a different species?

Post by MissK »

Hi All.

Opinions?
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Jen&Bug

Re: Should I get a second IRN or a different species?

Post by Jen&Bug »

I have Bug (IRN) and Rufus (sun conure). Athough this is only one person's experience, owning two different birds has certainly taught me a lot...hmm, where to start?

I'll start with an expert opinion, albeit second-hand. I was recently talking about this with Nikki, proprietor of the wonderful Bird Boarding in Melbourne and general bird guru. Nikki said they generally advise that same-species matches are best for a second bird, although also admitted that this is no guarantee that the pairing will work out (as you rightly acknowledge). The conversation started because I'd just collected Bug from a stint at boarding, and he'd spent the WHOLE three weeks chatting with another ringneck. He does this almost every time he goes to boarding, and I was feeling bad about not having chosen another ringneck for him, when he clearly prefers them.

At the same time, Nikki admitted that my pairing had also worked out ok. Bug and Rufus share the same cage, and have a strange, bonded relationship. They allopreen each other, Bug calls to Rufus if he's out of sight, and their conflicts never get beyond the occasional warning swipe if one tries to steal food from the other. Nikki was a great support in establishing their relationship - when I got Rufus, I sent them both to boarding as they weren't getting along. Nikki used some clever strategies (like putting their cages at different heights) to eliminate any territorial disputes, and they've been fine in the same cage together ever since.

Wise woman that she is, Nikki also noted that the right choice of bird has a lot to do with what's good for the owner. I got a sun conure because I wanted a snuggly bird, which Bug isn't, so I kind of have the best of both worlds. I don't know whether I would have loved a second IRN as much as I love my two boys with their very different habits and personalities - probably, but it has been a fun journey coping with two such contrasting individuals. Remember, your second bird is for you as much as for your IRN. If you have your heart set on another species, it may be better just to follow your instincts and put in the effort to make it work.

I hope this has helped - happy to share more if there's anything more you want to know.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi MissK

I have extremely limited experience as I only have two IRNs: a female and a male. Before buying Charlie, I did talk to others about getting a different species of bird and every species I suggested I was told that either the IRN would get beat up or the IRN would beat up on it.

I also didn't want to have two big cages in my house, I wanted them to cohabitate eventually. I'm not actually sure what I would have done had they not got along!

To be honest, given Rocky's crazy feeding behaviour, I would be inclined to get a second ringneck. If it were me, I think I'd get a young tame male IRN so that Rocky can learn behaviours from him... and so you don't get the female hormonal behaviours during breeding season. However, if you want him to be able to experience mating and so forth, you could get a female.

My gut feeling is that Rocky wants a friend who can cohabitate with him. Everything I've ever read and people I have spoken to indicates that IRNs are generally not good cohabitators with other species - although I know there are people who have done it successfully.

If you are really keen to get another species, have you considered Alexandrines? I don't know how well they cohabitate with IRNs but I have seen some birds that are IRN / Alexandrine crosses, so I guess they must get along okay?

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thanks Jen and Ellie!

Honestly, I actually don't have my heart set on another species.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Crayon Parrots

Post by Crayon Parrots »

I was looking at youtube videos of ringnecks talking and almost every single one had ringnecks with other kinds of birds. There was even one talking to and kissing a quaker, one whos buddy is a cockatiel, and one who was buddies with a conure. Some had tons of other kinds of birds and bunches of ringnecks. I think it all has to do with the birds and how YOU interact with them and the temperament of the birds. I have a baby ringneck right now who I am raising with some conures, hopefully he will grow to be bird friendly. Ive been doing a lot of reading on ringnecks lately(I want to have a few ringnecks) and a lot of people said when theyre raised with other birds they are fine with them most of the time. Some people put their cages close to each other for a while to get them used to each other gradually.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Crayon Parrots

The videos like this that I've seen are either young birds or birds that are out together during playtime - they don't necessarily share a cage. I've heard of isolated cases where it works. I hope yours turns out to be one of them. I dont like to underestimate the instincts of a female IRN.

Ellie.