toy bells

Moderator: Mods

fionalouise1989

toy bells

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Hey everyone,

I feel this is a silly question but Ive noticed that my bird likes to chew the middle of the bells out you know the bit that makes them jingle, is there any chance he will choke on them? or will he just chew them out and drop them. He dropped the one i took a photo of...

uploaded a photo of the bit i meant... with him in it so you can get the relative size if that makes sense

thanks in advance
Fi
Last edited by fionalouise1989 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jen&Bug

Re: toy bells

Post by Jen&Bug »

IMO there's nothing to worry about. My birds spend their days reducing their toys to smaller and smaller pieces, and none of those pieces have ever ended up in their throats. I expect your bird will test the object to see whether it's edible by turning it over in their beak, and when they find it isn't, it will end up on the floor like everything else!

I'd check the inside of the bell for sharp broken edges though, which might be more of a hazard.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Make sure metal parts of toys are stainless steel or copper, as some metals are toxic.Sanjay loves a bell, because he can ring for service!.
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

haha glad to know he wont be eating them thanks Jen!

I should double check as assumed they would be ok as purchased at pet store in the toys for birds section but you never know hey, will check tomorrow, thanks for that Sanjays mummy.

Not sure why he likes to chew the middles out maybe he doesnt like bell sounds, he gets quite aggressive with any bells even the ones in the plastic balls (which i put in toilet rolls) and he gets them out of toilet rolls and throws them off the top of his cage or play gym lol its pretty funny to watch mind you...

thanks for the advice ladies :)
Fi
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Haha, whoever said bells were just for ringing? Bug likes chattering to the inside of his bell - I think he likes the sound it makes in the enclosed space, like a little echo chamber (he does this with his feed dish too). My budgie used to like sitting under his bell, so the clapper scratched the top of his head...I have no idea where birds come up with these ideas, but they're very cute!