My Indian Ringneck Parakeet sleeps a lot

Moderator: Mods

Bella746

My Indian Ringneck Parakeet sleeps a lot

Post by Bella746 »

I have an Indian Ringneck Parakeet for 8 Months now. I found him in March 2012 on the Balcony. he stayed on the Balcony for a week (I was offering him food and water). Afterwards, I bought him a cage and opened the door for him, he went inside the cage by himself. He is a male and is over 3 years old (has a ring around his neck). I took him to the doctor 2 weeks after I found him, unfortunately he was sick and had Chlamydia. the doctor treated him with 7 Antibiotics injections, he recovered and became very active. He talks a lot and play most of the time in his cage. Recently I noticed that he's sleeping a lot whenever I'm in the same room as his. when I go to the other room, he starts calling me, playing and talking... I'm wondering if he's sick or maybe old as I can't determine his real age. Please help. Anyway I fixed an appointment with the doctor for a general check up by next week.

P.S. he easts a lot (mixed of fresh vegetables, fruits, seeds and whole grain bread...) ALL HEALTHY:) his poo is normal, but when he flies in the house he get tired and breathes very fast.

I appreciate your feedback,
Bella
BR,
Bella
willowisp71

Re: My Indian Ringneck Parakeet sleeps a lot

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Bella,

I can't really offer you any advice about your IRN, except to say that my 3+yo male is mostly active first thing in the morning and then later in the afternoon early evening. He has lots of cat-naps during the day, and is only a little active between times. As for the out of breath-ness after your bird flies about for a bit, I have no idea, sorry. I haven't seen this occur for my bird. Taking your IRN to the vet for a check is a good thing, as they will have a better understanding as to whether anything is wrong.

Good luck, hope everything turns out to be ok :)
Regards Deb
Bella746

Re: My Indian Ringneck Parakeet sleeps a lot

Post by Bella746 »

Hi Deb,
Thank you for ur feedback:) My IRP is as well very active in the morning and late afternoon, however I fixed an appointment with the doctor by coming Saturday just to have peace of mind and make sure that everything is fine specially regarding his fast breathing.

BR,
Bella