Cleaning secondhand cages?

Moderator: Mods

RedNado130

Cleaning secondhand cages?

Post by RedNado130 »

I was searching around the website, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't seem to find a post about cleaning used cages.
I googled some things but was just wondering how you guys have cleaned any secondhand cages you've bought?

I'm going to look at a cage I found on craigslist on monday and if all goes well I should have myself a good cage! I was just wondering what you guys have found is the best way to clean it?
The woman who I am buying it from says that she has cleaned it and it looks brand new, she's only had it for a year, but I want to make sure that I REALLY clean it before I get a feathered friend inside!
I've heard that bleaching it is good and then letting it sit outside in the sun to 'bake' and dry off? The only problem with that is that it's getting pretty cold here, I live in Buffalo :roll: and I'm not sure if I can bare to scrub it down outside for too long lol That and the sun has been showing its face less and less, with some snowflakes more and more :lol:
The cage will be completely disassembled when I bring it home, are there any brands of disinfectant that are safe for birds that I can just use right in my bathtub with it?
And what if I don't use a cleaner that is safe for birds? I don't have any and I still won't for a while now, if I use something that isn't safe for birds, like bleach, by the time I end up getting my bird, there won't be any harm to worry about left on the cage, right?
I feel like a mother setting up her baby room :lol: , which is really what I'm doing! I'm an over worrier and I just would rather be safe than sorry!!
rod038

Re: Cleaning secondhand cages?

Post by rod038 »

The one I use in Australia is called Avicare and it is made by Vetafarm. But I am sure if you went to your local Pet Store or Vet they would have a similar product on the shelf.
RedNado130

Post by RedNado130 »

I'm definitely going to see what I can find at the pet stores near me! I never really thought to look in stores before now! Thank you!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Grapefruit Seed Extract has been found to be a great natural cleaner/disinfectant, found to be stronger than bleach and colloidal silver and in much smaller doses. Some hospitals are even using it for carpet cleaning since nothing has a resistance to it: http://www.landofvos.com/articles/wingtips/gse.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

RedNado, I'd be tempted to ask why the person is selling the cage. If the previous bird died of a disease, I'm not sure I'd buy the cage.

Ellie.
RedNado130

Post by RedNado130 »

Thanks guys!!
Yeah, I was actually wondering that myself, I never did ask why.
I was supposed to look at the cage today but the woman never got back to me... again. I've been talking to her every couple of days, it seems like it would take her AGES to get back to me. I asked her the dimensions a good 4 times and I was always told that she would let me know after she measured it. Then... it was taken down and wired together for easy transportation? Yeah, I'm not going to even bother, it's just been a waste of time. Too good to be true! She even knew the time I was going to come and everything today, tried getting ahold of her and nothing. Things just started sounding too shady for my liking.
I just can't stand that though, if you are trying to sell something and someone is interested, why would you take so long to reply back.
Anyways! I'm over my ranting now =P
I'm just going to save up and get a new cage for myself for the holidays =) All problems solved!
Everyone on this website has been such a great help, I can't appreciate it enough!