Tail feathers don't seem to be growing back?

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

Tail feathers don't seem to be growing back?

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how long it should take to see evidence of Skittles tail feathers growing back? And is there a reason why they might NOT grow back? Or perhaps I'm being too impatient? I did read another thread from someone asking a similar question, where Rod038 said:
[Quote] If the feathers had been pulled out and not just bitten off then they should start to grow back strait away if there was no other damage caused.

We have had Skittles 2 and a half weeks now, and most of his tail feathers were missing already when we found him, so I don't know if he lost them the day he escaped his original home, or weeks/months prior to that day. I've monitored his behaviour and he is not a feather plucker, and I've started scrutinizing his rump :!: everyday for the last week trying to see if the others are starting to grow back......it appears not so far. Should I be worried?

Also, do IRN's molt every year of their life, or just for the first few? And what season does this usually occur? We are thinking that Skittles is probably 3yrs or older, as it appears his neck ring is fully developed.

Here are some pics showing the tail feathers he has left:

First pic is when we found him, before we captured him - had to coax him down from this palm tree....

OOPS: Posted wrong pic! Have edited...

Any feedback would be most appreciated, thanks :)
Regards Deb
rod038

Re: Tail feathers don't seem to be growing back?

Post by rod038 »

There could be a number of reasons he lost them but I would be confident they will grow back next moult which will be around January in Perth. The other tail feather will fall out then too and the overall appearance will become very rough looking for a month or so. They always moult at the same time each year with the exception of birds kept inside which can be constantly in a state of moult due to artificial light and heating.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Rod038,

Thanks so much for your response...I feel quite a bit better now. We are keeping him as an inside bird, mostly. We have bought a largish cage for him on wheels, though, so we can take him outside on the back patio occasionally - but only when either myself or my husband are at home. Not taking the chance that he learns how to open the gate/strong wind blows over the cage/someone accidently/deliberately lets him out/steals him!! :evil:

I will just have to wait and see what happens in January then.....at least having most of his tail feathers gone doesn't affect his ability to fly - his flight path through the house each morning is getting wider as he grows in confidence :lol:

Cheers for the info!
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Oh no! It looks like Skittles has 'broken' his longest tail feather, up near his rump. It's kinda hanging at right angles to how it should :(
Regards Deb
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Willowisp,

That is a *gorgeous* bird!

Best wishes,
MissK
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

LOL!! :lol: Thanks, MissK.....yes, we feel very blessed to have had Skittles "...fall out of the sky...." onto us :D he has truly enriched our lives these past 3 weeks. I'm really quite surprised that the previous owner has not appeared to post ANY notices about losing him - or answered any of the ads we posted on numerous web sites/notice boards/vet clinics......he's such a beautiful boy, and although he won't let us touch him, he's quite happy to have a chat :)

As for his tail feathers, you are right, I will just have to be patient, and for the time being now, just forget about them :D
I'm sure they will grow back in time. I think you also may be right about the possible circumstances of him losing them - I think there was "some ill turn of fate" involved, (which may even explain his fear of us, or our hand, getting to close to him).

But for now, he is a happy little birdy - he is currently perched on his home-made "play-gym", stripping bark off the branches, and occasionally calling out to our next-door neighbours pink and grey galah that he can hear calling out :lol: We have decided to try and find a friend for him though, as it has become apparent that his new 'human' family (my husband and I), is not quite enough for him......it's quite heart-breaking to see how distressed he gets when he hears the wild birds flying past, he starts calling out to them and desperately tries to find a way out of his cage if we've got him outside, or the house window's if he's inside :cry: We're not having much luck at the moment, as I think the breeding season is drawing to a close here in Australia, but there are a couple of breeders who have a second batch of chicks coming up, so hopefully something will come of it :D

Thanks again for your encouragement....and I hope your little red canaries butt feathers came back before the cold weather set in!.....brrrrrrrrrrr!! :lol:
Regards Deb
MissK

Post by MissK »

Deb,

I understand about wanting a friend!
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi MissK,

Thanks for the advice! I had read somewhere a couple of weeks ago about how to 'introduce' a new bird into the 'flock' :D We have another smaller cage that the new bird would live in for the first few weeks/months, or how ever long it took for them both to become acquainted and friendly with each. I believe also it's a good idea to at first keep the new bird in a separate room, so they can hear each other and get used to the others 'voice', but not be overwhelmed by being plonked in front of each other straight up. We will definitely be taking things slowly at first, with lots of supervision when they first meet outside their cages to make sure they don't decide on 'hate at first sight' and hurt each other :shock:

We have a bird feeder out the back, and used to get wild birds popping in for a feed every now and then, (unfortunately our yard doesn't have any bird attracting trees, back the back neighbours do). But since we've had Skittles, they don't seem to be coming to feed anymore. Perhaps his cries of distress, (or eagerness to join them?) are scaring them off? I still see them hanging out in the neighbours trees though, and I think Skittles does too, which puts him in a frenzy! :?

Oh, and back on topic again.......Skittles tail feather broke off this morning :o Now he looks like a little stubby butt :( And it has definitely 'broken' off, not come out cleanly. I hope this means he will still get another one grow back after his moult this summer :?: Will just have to wait and see :D
Regards Deb
MissK

Post by MissK »

:(

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hahaha! :lol: Thanks MissK....I'll look into the fig planting :D

Your right, some of the flight feathers in his wings do look a bit 'ratty', don't they? Not only that...but this morning, much to my shock and horror, he lost not one, but TWO of them!! :o Both at different times, but both whilst he was flying from his cage, first to the ceiling fan (naughty boy :| ), then his second when he flew back from the curtain rack :shock: At least he lost one from each side, so he's not uneven :lol:
Doesn't seem to have affected his flying whatsoever. I wonder if he is starting to moult earlier than usual? I'm pretty sure he's not stressed anymore, seems quite happy and chirpy, gives us a little performance every morning to show us how clever he is - his vocab is slowly expanded, I taught him to say "good boy" the other day :D and now he says it all the time :lol:
I guess the only thing that might be causing him stress is his absolute desperation to join the wild birds when he hears them calling outside :( I am now really keen to get him a friend, have spoken to a breeder in Perth, and am waiting to hear when her next lot of babies are ready, so it will be a little while yet....hope he's ok until then :|
Regards Deb