how long do feathers take to grow back?

Moderator: Mods

sarah23

how long do feathers take to grow back?

Post by sarah23 »

Hi all,
I'm after a bit of help. I just got a pair of eclectus parrots (i know this is a ringneck site but i'm hoping many can answer this question). Female is in great condition 18 months old, but my male is not in very good condition he is about 3 yrs old. The so called "experienced" breeder kept both these birds in an aviary with a much older female. Upon questioning the breeder i was informed the older female picked on the poor male, to the point where he has no tail feathers at all and his wings/flight feathers look horrible. The flight feathers are bare so the thick quills are there but no feathers if that makes sense. He has a beautiful nature and gets along with the young female he is with. He obviously can't fly at all but is quite happy getting around by climbing the big aviary they are in now. I'm offering a great diet of nuts, fruit and veggies, seed, sprouted seed, parrot pallets, and soft parrot food with vitamin suppliments added to water daily. I will not be attempting to put a breeding box in until he is in perfect condition. but i'd just like to know when that might be? how long will it take for tail feathers to grow back? Also, what about his flight feathers? i just want him to be back to normal as i can't imagine what it feels like being an aviary bird and not being able to fly.
thanks
rod038

Re: how long do feathers take to grow back?

Post by rod038 »

If the feathers had been pulled out and not just bitten off then they should start to grow back strait away if there was no other damage caused. If they were broken off then they will be replaced when the bird next moults out and gets all new feathers.
sarah23

Re: how long do feathers take to grow back?

Post by sarah23 »

Thanks for the great advice guys :) I have taken him to the vets and he is still getting his great diet mentioned above plus a vitamin d supplement that is meant to help plucking. He has been given a lot of brain stimulating toys and I have set up a camera to monitor him while I am not watching to see if he continues. So far I can only see a little bit of cleaning no plucking (fingers crossed). Tomorrow a big bird bath is going in the cage.
He's a sweet boy hopefully housing him in better condition will help him out and break this habit.
Thanks again!