Eggs have not hatched

Moderator: Mods

Eshana

Eggs have not hatched

Post by Eshana »

Hi Guys

My Ringneck has been sitting on two eggs, which should have hatched by 25 August 2012. Nothing has happened. I am so disappointed. Should I remove the eggs or should I wait a little longer. Don't know what went wrong. Very upset....

Regards
Eshana
rod038

Re: Eggs have not hatched

Post by rod038 »

What date were they Laid? Did you check to see if they are fertile?
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Rod

The first egg was laid on 2nd August, the 2nd egg on 5 August and the 3rd on 8 August. One of the eggs disappeared. She was left sitting on just 2 eggs. How do I check if the eggs are fertile?

Thanks
Eshana
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Get yourself one of those little LED torches and you hold the egg against it at about 10 days old and you will see red veins inside the egg showing it is fertile. If you check them now and they are fertile they would appear very dark. If you can see the yolk or they appear clear then they are not fertile. The eggs canb take up to 30 days from the date of the first egg to hatch and then the rest hatch over the next couple of days. Things can still go wrong with fertile eggs though. Maybe give them a few more days to make sure this time round. The Hen my lay again if these eggs are no good.
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thanks so much Rod...but I just checked the nesting box now and one of the eggs has hatched! :D Both eggs were intact this morning, so the baby hatched this afternoon. I am thrilled :D :D :D I am going to leave the other egg for at least another week...fingers crossed that it hatches as well... Thanks so much for your help... didn't know about candeling...you and Carmen taught me something new. I'm sure by now you can tell that I am an absolute novice at this...so I need all the help I can get!

Cheers
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thanks Molossus....I am so thrilled at the arrival of my baby ringie. Now I understand why you guys are such dedicated enthusiasts... and I'm equally thrilled that I've joined the club...

Now I just have to learn about mutations et al...very confusing but I'm sure I'll get there!

Cheers
Eshana