Help me! My IRN died suddenly, I need an answer :(

Moderator: Mods

jamiet102

Help me! My IRN died suddenly, I need an answer :(

Post by jamiet102 »

I came home Monday night after work to find my 10 month old IRN Harry on the bottom of his cage. My mum had fed him (except I believe he was a a her) a small piece of carrot and brocolli (both of which he gets fed regularly) and some brussel sprouts (something he'd never eaten before). I arrived home an hour later and he was gone.

He (or she) was a very happy energetic bird, loved human interaction and was singing his little head off when mum left him as he usually would be.

We had recently moved from QLD to Melbourne and I worry that he may have been cold but there have been much colder days than Monday and he has been here for 5 months now.

I fed him pellets normally and he only got fed seeds when I gave him my bread crusts or if I bought him a seed snack, which he absolutely loved but he hadn't had for a while. But his main diet consisted of all types of fruit, veggies or anything I was eating (excluding avocado of course!)

Monday night was the first time we had given him any fruit or veggies as we were all out Sunday arvo and didnt come home until Monday night, but once again this was nothing out of the ordinary as I often would spend weekends away where he wouldn't be fed fruit or veggies.

He was the happiest, friendliest bird, he was very very tame as I got him when he was only 6 weeks old and hand reared him. He was always on my shoulder or sitting on my dinner plate helping me finish my greens. I am so devestated and need an answer as to what happened to my best friend. Please help!
julie

Re: Help me! My IRN died suddenly, I need an answer :(

Post by julie »

Sorry for your loss :cry:
It could have been something on the veggies or something wrong with the veggies.Its really hard to say what happened but sometimes it happens with no signs that something is wrong.
sanjays mummi

Re: Help me! My IRN died suddenly, I need an answer :(

Post by sanjays mummi »

Without a post mortem we can only speculate. A genetic defect?, pesticide?, they say the only way to remove pesticide from carrot is to peel them. I am very saddened by your news, if it was me, I would have a post mortem done to set my mind at rest,, rather than wonder for years to come.