Fighting?

Moderator: Mods

ShazziBear

Fighting?

Post by ShazziBear »

We recently bought 5 IRN 3 male and 2 female. Today when i went out to feed them i found 2 of the males dead, and the 3rd seemingly in shock. One of the dead males had marks around his neck. I was just wondering if it would be normal for the males to fight or if it was more likely they had been attacked by something else? I live in a farming area so would not be unusual for there to be rats/mice. They are in an outdoor aviary. Thanks for you thoughts :(
ellieelectrons

Re: Fighting?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Shazzi

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for females to kill males during breeding season. Generally one pair of bonded IRNs needs to have their own separate spaces (that is, not in one big aviary) during the breeding season. This article discusses some options:
http://www.indianringneck.com/breedingmethods/

Can I suggest you get them all out of the aviary ASAP until you can see which bird is bonded with your remaining male?

Generally two males will get along fine if there are no females around but two females will not.

Ellie.
ShazziBear

Post by ShazziBear »

Thanks Ellie,

The third male has just died as well :(

Thank you for the information. One of the females has been in and out of the nesting box this week so it may have well been the case.

At least we know now for future reference. Just feel so bad that our lack of knowledge may have caused this to happen.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Those poor little guys! All you can do now is learn from it. You should separate the females too before they kill each other.

Ellie.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Pity about that. Killer hens are hard to correct. Can you id the culprit...perhaps by traces of blood on the beak and cheeks...if yes I advise that you remove her from the breeding plan and keep her as a pet.