Lots of questions--New lol

Moderator: Mods

bali727

Lots of questions--New lol

Post by bali727 »

Hey guys,

So a couple years ago I really wanted to get an IRN. I did so much research to learn as much about them as I could. I had everything figured out, except one thing. My Mom didn't think i should get a Ringneck. I tried to convince her as much as i could, for over 5 months. Finally, she just screamed at me and told me I couldn't. I got so discouraged, and basically forgot about my dream. A few weeks ago, i saw that Chesawoo on YouTube uploaded a video with Marnie and his pals. And all of these feelings for IRN's came back to me, and i wound up here, wandering every topic about IRN's. :mrgreen:
So now that i shared my back story with you guys a have a lot of questions. I would really like to get one of these beautiful birds, and there's so much i need to know. I still have yet to talk to my mom about these birds, but once i get more insight into the birds, ill bring up the topic again.

I've been reading some topics on whats toxic to birds, and i've been thinking. My mom uses all sorts of pans and stuff.(No idea if Teflon) She also uses Febreeze a lot. So i know that aerosols are toxic to birds, but is it only when they are used directly near them, or even if the smell lingers in the room? Also i have body sprays that i use, Such as Axe and Old Spice, are those also toxic, or only when they are sprayed?

I also have a dog, a 6 year old Golden Retriever, who likes to bark at the birds, squirrels and lizards in our backyard. He also tries to catch them. So im wondering if having a dog would also be a bad idea. Would they get used to each other after a while, or do you think that my dog wouldn't break his habits and try and catch, or njust terrify it.

That's it for now lol, im sure i'll have a lot more, ill just post them on here when i think of them.... thanks
Charliee

Re: Lots of questions--New lol

Post by Charliee »

Ok, i understand your love of these birds! :D

I don't understand why your mother is so uptight? They aren't a Maccaw, nor are they a hose...
Indian ringnecks may seem a hard pet to look after but they really aren't.
You have the choices of training them, then it gets harderish... Its all about time and how long you can be patient for.
If you do not wish to train it then its a simple task, just pay it alot of attention so it doesnt go completely wild.
Feed them, give them fresh water, keep them away from danger, lets them be birds and its fine, its like owning a pet dog i guess...

Now about the pans, keep the bird in the next room, just to be carefull. (Or outside) while cooking.

Well, about your dog, im not to sure, maybe it being a pet may be different then it being a pigeon or a magpie.

I know my dog doesn't give two sh*ts about the birds..

- Body Spray, you can spray it on yourself but i would do it WELL away from your bird (in the bathroom or something) and wait for a few mins to go near the bird.

And no smoking near the bird either, toxic foods you can easly find on google, thats something they must not eat.

IRN also need a fruit and veg diet with a big enough cages so that when they fly they can't hurt themself (Wing span)

ect.
.Welcome To The Forum.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

How big of a cage do you recommend? I have kind of a low budget, and i'm assuming the bird itself will cost me anywhere form 100-200 right?

Charliee

Post by Charliee »

Where do you live?

Try Gumtree . com or ebay!

i reconmend anywhere from 60cm wide x 60cm tall x 60cm deep.

Just big enough so it can move, and not just sit there, The bigger the better, but people have been known to put them in 40cmx40cmx40cm which isn't good.

You don't have to get them brand new. :)

In Australia they are about $100-200 but depends where you live, also gumtree will be good for looking for indian ringnecks, some might come with cages!

Mine coast me 30$ for my first bird, Charliee, and 40$ for cage, Charliee was cheap because he was 1 1/5 years old untamed. The cage was a bit small for him, but at $40 why not?

I just got two more last week $180 (aus) for two females, HUGE cage and all the toys! I since then put charlie in with the blue one i got.

If you want a baby IRN that might cost a little more.
.Welcome To The Forum.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

I live in USA (california) and everything here is probably more expensive than in Aus. ;p

Anyways.. ill check out those websites and get back to you.

Mind posting a pic or two of ur babie(s)? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

I will post as soon as i have 15 posts ^^

I don't know, the price here is really expensive (If you buy from pet shop)

Tell me if you find any good deals! :) I'll try to get these posts up. :)
.Welcome To The Forum.
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

flickr . com /photos /79623211@N02 /?saved =1

Please remove spaces :)
.Welcome To The Forum.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

Saw a really good deal on ebay, too bad the auction ended last night :|

and now u have 18 posts! yay.. link didnt work :p

and to clarify, my mom doesn't want me to have a bird in general... not just specifically an IRN
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

auctions come and go, there will be more. :P

well... even though I had 18 posts it still won't let me post links :(

Birds are amazing, surely she can't be that tough on you...

I wish I could upload 'quota has been reached. '
.Welcome To The Forum.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

I hope she does go easy on me.. i haven't asked her in a while.. maybe she'll understand now :D?

anyways im going on a summer vacation throughout june, so ill probably not get one til i get back, if i even get one. so yeah. im just hoping that she'll agree so i can get one of these precious little birdies :lol: :lol: Do people still sell young IRN's in july or even august?

thanks
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

Hard to say, people sell them year around, just depending on age.

Apparently their breeding season is like spring or something, i don't know, but I'm eager to find out because i have two bonded IRN :)

Best wait until you get back ^^ Well, how old are you now?

Im sure if you pay for it or something your mum shouldn't mind, make promises :P
.Welcome To The Forum.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

O, why wo'nt your mum allow you to have a bird?, is it because,as with any pet it's a huge commitment? You are looking at a 20 to 30 yr commitment. Is your mum the one who will be babysitting when you go on trips? Will she be expected to pay for food and vet bills?. Who will clean up after your bird?, and most importantly, will having achieved your desire, the novelty wear off?. Sorry to play devils advocate, but you have not lisd your mums objections. There are always two sides to any disagreement.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

Im turning 16 in june, and i'd be paying for everything with the bird(possibly not the vet bills). She's just worried about me not having any responsibility for the bird. She'd probably only be babysitting 1 day a week, or if i go on vacations w/o her. I told her that i'd do everything for the bird that i could, clean up the cage, poop, spilled food, give attention, feed it, play with it, all of it. So yeah. :/
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

bali727 wrote:Im turning 16 in june, and i'd be paying for everything with the bird(possibly not the vet bills). She's just worried about me not having any responsibility for the bird. She'd probably only be babysitting 1 day a week, or if i go on vacations w/o her. I told her that i'd do everything for the bird that i could, clean up the cage, poop, spilled food, give attention, feed it, play with it, all of it. So yeah. :/
Good job on thinking ahead!

What did she say? :D

You having a bird would totally make her realise that you are responsible!
.Welcome To The Forum.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Excellent. Very pleased to hear it. Now you just need the opportunity to prove yourself.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

sanjays mummi wrote:Excellent. Very pleased to hear it. Now you just need the opportunity to prove yourself.
Indeed. Your mum shouldn't be forced into look after a pet she doesn't want to have... so you are going to need to step up.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

I asked her and she said 'no'.
I asked her why and she said only a few reasons why not, first h
She said She doesn't want crap everywhere in the house...tables, curtains etc.
Next we have a golden retriever (bird dog) and she said having a bird in the house would only drive the bird and the dog crazy. I replied with saying that cats and dogs are the complete opposite and when we have my dads cat over they get used to each other within a week. And next since I could argue against both of those other reasons she just said she doesn't like birds, they're 'scary' :-/

I'll keep asking her until I get a definate answer because after I asked and we had a little argument she said I just can't deal with this right now, she was at the dentist the whole day, so I'll have to ask her later on. So not a definate no yet. Hopefully a yes :)

Thanks guys I'll keep you updated :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

It sounds to me like you might need to wait a few years until you get a place of your own. Birds are very messy pets so if you're mum's not on board it's probably not a good idea to push it.

Ellie.
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

bali727 wrote:I asked her and she said 'no'.
I asked her why and she said only a few reasons why not, first h
She said She doesn't want crap everywhere in the house...tables, curtains etc.
Next we have a golden retriever (bird dog) and she said having a bird in the house would only drive the bird and the dog crazy. I replied with saying that cats and dogs are the complete opposite and when we have my dads cat over they get used to each other within a week. And next since I could argue against both of those other reasons she just said she doesn't like birds, they're 'scary' :-/

I'll keep asking her until I get a definate answer because after I asked and we had a little argument she said I just can't deal with this right now, she was at the dentist the whole day, so I'll have to ask her later on. So not a definate no yet. Hopefully a yes :)

Thanks guys I'll keep you updated :D
They have these things call cage tidies you put one over the cage bottom (Like a fitted sheet on your bed)

Maybe you can show her some videos on youtube of indian ringnecks? :P
.Welcome To The Forum.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Maybe it would be better to wait until you get your own place, that, of course will depend on whether your landlord
Allows pets, some will allow birds or fish, but irn's can be very vocal. All good things come to those who wait.